What's new

TC2010/Prop 19 unlikely to pass (new poll results)

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
im just going to vote my yes and move on. These debates are getting no one anywhere. The cannabis culture I knew is gone. It is now cowboy culture shoot first ask later. It happens with most younger gens they dont think we know what we are talking about they know it ALL.

CaptainTrips

And what precisely do you think would happen to you and your buddy under the CURRENT LAW. I am assuming neither of you have medical licences, since that would be covered by TC2010.

So, what DOES the law currently provide for you supplying a minor, that you think this is so much worse? ....Well?

I believe giving away weed in cali, such as passing a joint is the same as possession. So in this theortical situation, TC2010 actually makes things worse than they currently are.

Toyot4

Richard Lee's plan. What do you think? wake up people!

Oakland City Council Looking to Close Patient Gardens
This is what happens when you buy city council members, you can convince them to grant you a legal monopoly of the medical and recreational cannabis market by outlawing personal medical gardens under the pretense of public safety and allow 4 giant commercial gardens to come in, set their own prices and force dispensaries city wide to choose from one of these 4 gardens. Im guessing rich lee will own at least 2 of them.

If Oakland city council members are worried about public safety, they might want to consider their own safety first. Destroying the livelihoods of thousands of Oaklands most well connected people will have its consequences. If you want to open a 100,000sqft warehouse in Oakland in an attempt to monopolize the medical or recreational pot market, buy fire insurance.

If your a grower in Cali and support prop 19 read this and let me know how you feel....

California Watch
A Project of the Center for Investigative Reporting
Public Safety
Follow us

Maillists Subscribe Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Check Us out on Flickr
California WatchBlog
New ordinance in Oakland would legalize big industrial pot farms
July 13, 2010 | Michael Montgomery

Flickr photo by Neeta Lind

The city of Oakland could become home to some of the world’s largest government-licensed marijuana-growing operations, with permits to distribute products around the state, according to a draft ordinance released yesterday.

The city’s public safety committee meets tonight to consider the plan to permit four industrial-scale, “medical cannabis” cultivation facilities.

The ordinance does not limit the size of the indoor operations, but says the council has received proposals ranging from 20,000 to 100,000 square feet.

“The cultivation of medical cannabis in Oakland has not been regulated and occurs entirely in small-scale home operations or larger-scale illicit warehouses,” reads a report submitted to the committee by city council members Rebecca Kaplan and Larry Reid. “These unregulated operations have led to public safety hazards, including fires, burglaries and home invasions, health risks to patients, and related response costs to the city.”

But the plan doesn’t restrict operations to Oakland. “Responsible transfer permits” would allow registered dispensaries anywhere in the state to purchase medical marijuana from the city’s pot farms. “Sales would be subject to the recently approved sales tax on medical cannabis providing additional revenue for the city through sales taxes,” reads the report.

In addition to improving public safety, the report suggests the plan could help revive the city’s anemic finances, raising anywhere from $3 million to $38 million in permit fees and sales taxes.

Experts say licensed marijuana-growing operations of this size and purpose do not exist anywhere in the world. Even the pot-friendly Netherlands only legally permits small-scale marijuana cultivation for distribution to consumers.

“I am not aware of any indoor-growing facility of that size or one whose product is meant to be consumed,” said Jonathan Caulkins, a Carnegie Mellon professor who co-authored a recent RAND Corporation study on marijuana in California.

Dale Gieringer, who heads the California branch of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, said he could think of only a few government-sanctioned, outdoor pot farms that were larger than the indoor facilities being considered for Oakland.

“This is a very big deal,” he said.

The plan is raising a few eyebrows, even among legalization advocates like Gieringer. He said the ordinance envisions a “monopoly” for marijuana growers while also maintaining a virtual stranglehold on distribution (the plan would increase the number of legal dispensaries in Oakland from four to six).

“There are certainly more than four brands of wine and beer in Oakland and there are certainly more than four brands of cannabis,” Gieringer said.

But the supporters predict the plan would lead to lower prices and help wipe out illegal growing operations.

“Permitting larger-scale cultivation will allow for lower production costs per pound by creating economies of scale,” reads the committee report. “Lower production costs will allow regulated cultivation facilities to undercut wholesale prices of cannabis grown in unregulated operations.” Still, the report estimates dispensaries will continue to purchase at least 20 percent of their product from boutique growers who cultivate within a 96-square-foot legal limit.

Berkeley’s City Council is also considering industrial-scale marijuana cultivation and Mendocino recently passed regulations allowing outdoor pot farms to expand capacity to 99 plants per land parcel.

It’s leading some observers to wonder whether the battle for the statewide medical marijuana market – and accompanying tax dollars – is intensifying among local governments, well in advance of the vote this fall to legalize marijuana use in California.

Of course, much depends on the actions (or inactions) of the federal government. The feds still classify pot as a schedule one narcotic and DEA agents continue to raid some farms that claim to be operating within the state’s medical marijuana laws.

KQED's Forum program devoted an hour today to the Oakland ordinance.
<!-- / message -->
<!-- / message -->

can we get a link to this article?

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
I went to the first meeting for this I-28 bill. I am surprised it ever got this far. Drove two hours to be at the meeting. It ended up being a smoke party. I met lots of cool people and smoke some dank strains. But when I inquiried about when the meeting would start. I got "Oh, yeah, umm guess we arent going to get to that today"

lol we're close enough to call a truce...

Sounds about right, good peeps, dank n good intentions :D

:tiphat: to Voter Power on I-28 tho. they know how to run a successful show! They were behind the original OMMP getting passed too.

We'll leave the Cali thread to Cali issues now, although we need the whole west coast onboard & reciprocity ASAP!

J

JackTheGrower

Old news another Poll disputes.. Don't be a dumb News-whore and expect to run a proper magazine..

Just my opinion..

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
I believe giving away weed in cali, such as passing a joint is the same as possession. So in this theortical situation, TC2010 actually makes things worse than they currently are.
when this bill states clearly
" This Act is intended to limit the application and enforcement of state and local laws relating to possession, transportation, cultivation, consumption and sale of cannabis"

maybe you prohibitionists dont understand how laws work?
this is the VERY MOST IMPORTANT piece of language in any bill.
it is a statement of intent and scope.
this statement of intent is very clear.existing law is the base this bill is designed to LIMIT THE APPLICATION AND ENFORCEMENTof existing law.
the word limit is the most important word in this whole bill. if that one word were changed to "expand" all your fears would be founded.
but the word is limit.
do you know what limit means?

hogg

You people of California owe it to the rest of us who have paid the price(jail time) to vote YES! for this bill period.

johnnyla

Veteran
vote no for corporate weed. i it will be like having budweiser and miller control beer production. i'd rather have more options. GMO weed will follow quickly.

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
Seeing what HB 1284 is supposed to do here in Colo.

I gotta say vote NO in Cali. If you want a "Tax and Regulate" bill, start spreading the one by the Bay Area senator Tom Ammaniano (spelling?). Now that was a reasonable bill.

But those sheep that will be led to the slaughter for the promise of a peaceful pasture till that time, get no love from me.

Greedy bitches won in Colorado (this battle), don't let them win in Cali!

Super_Silver

YEE!! VOTE NO!! mo money

The money will go somewhere. Question is do we want it going to large corporate interests who care nothing of quality and will only homogenize the market or do we want the money going to smaller scale farmers who care about their product and will most likely offer a wider variety of herb than the 50-day corporate indica that is washed with chemicals and shit on?

I know where my vote goes.

kinesis

Can we stop posting media-related voter confidence swaying stuff about 19 here?

Can we stop posting media-related voter confidence swaying stuff about 19 here?

Thanks guys, like the two top threads at the moment are BS.. say its not going to pass, etc. Stop posting media/corporate voter swaying bullshit. It doesn't belong here. Only post positive and progressive things related to Proposition 19.

Thanks guys! Keep it passing and school these nay sayer idiots. In fact I block them, anyone voting no on this is a traitor to the movement or greedy and I don't want to see them or deal with them.

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
The money will go somewhere. Question is do we want it going to large corporate interests who care nothing of quality and will only homogenize the market or do we want the money going to smaller scale farmers who care about their product and will most likely offer a wider variety of herb than the 50-day corporate indica that is washed with chemicals and shit on?

I know where my vote goes.

what "corporations"?

215forLife

A few corporations come to mind,...
Agramed
Canbe
Sk seymore llc
California cannabis
Marijuana inc.
Cannabis science inc.

Aeroguerilla

I’m God’s solider, devil’s apostle
Veteran
we should sabotage all these so called factory's when and if they pop up.. someone needs to roll richard lee right into some busy traffic.

Latest posts

Latest posts