What's new

Talking to kids about the garden. Dilema.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Depending on what state you live in, it can be considered child abuse "exposing" them to a grow area.....even if they (children) are naïve.

I'd seriously reconsider growing in an area with children involved. Either that...or do the work when they are not on premises.

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Thanks for the input... The day went well.. I had a little talk with the mom, but she pretty much shrugged it off.

GGW: So, the kids are kinda asking questions.. what do you want me to say?
Mom: Dont worry about it. The shed will be locked up.

I guess thats the end of that. Pretty much spent the day doing rough construction. Let her explain... There are some other details I'm leaving out about these kids, lets just say they seem very protective of the mom for good reason .

Kid: Hey whatcha doing?
GGW: Working, whats up?...
Kid: Can you help up us set up a tent?.....
GGW:Um.. sure..

So I took a break... and helped set up a tent for them.

Mom: They're not distracting you are you?..
GGW: Its ok.. this will be quick..
Mom: Can you fix the fence too?.. The kids have a hard time closing it.
GGW: I can do that, I'll get some materials.

I'm about half done, just finishing up some plumbing, run some wires and I'll be outta there. Couple more days tops, then the shed can run on autopilot while things are in veg.
Get them trained up, troubleshoot the hydroponics if there's problems. Mebby show up once a week... Or when its time to trim. I should loan them my kindle, its got lots of good mj growing tips.

Random funny stuff:

Kid: Can I have that?... (pointing to a piece of lumber scrap)
GGW: Sure... be careful of the splinters. K?.
*kid runs off and stashes it in the tent*

The legal stuff.
Use or display of any amount or possession of less than 1 ounce of marijuana is a class B misdemeanor punishable by up to 90 days imprisonment and/or a fine up to $2,000. However, if the use, display, or possession was for personal use and occurred in the confines of the offender's private residence, there is no penalty and this act is protected under the Alaskan constitutional right to privacy. It is class A misdemeanor punishable by up to 1 year imprisonment and/or a fine up to $10,000 to possess 1 ounce or more but less than 4 ounces of marijuana. However, if the possession was for personal use and occurred in the confines of the offender's private residence, there is no penalty and this act is protected under the Alaskan constitutional right to privacy.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Depending on what state you live in, it can be considered child abuse "exposing" them to a grow area.....even if they (children) are naïve.

I'd seriously reconsider growing in an area with children involved. Either that...or do the work when they are not on premises.

in all 50 states it's legal to build a grow room, grow shed, grow box etc. it is perfectly legal to allow kiddies of ALL ages to view your work, in all 50 states. after all it's nothing more than a room, shed, or box until something is grown in it.

what specific law precludes a child from viewing an unfinished room or shed?

they way I understand it GGW is involved in a construction project.

GGW, build the shed & tell the kids to ask daddy.......

Gry

Veteran
The dare project was so typical of kind lack of integrity that tore the hell out of this country.
A legacy from that era, that really needs to be recognized, not only for the failure it has been, but the damage it has done.

justpassnthru

Veteran
Since that is Alaska, all is just fine???:noway:
While you are at it, how about teaching the kids about the birds and the bees, too.:fsu:
and maybe even, Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy.:gaga:
Perhaps mom will help you demonstrate how babies are made and where they come from.:biggrin: jpt

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
Honestly GGW?!
I don´t get how the kids keep coming for you, it´s the parents duty to explain their kids what´s going on on their property. Unless you´re playing the step-father role.
And my guess is that the kids already know/suspect what´s going on and they´re just testing everyone involved. Be aware that one looses the respect of the young ones it´s never easy to get it back.
I would NOT DO any work while the kids were around.

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran

You're right, right now there's no plants in there, nothing. And I'll finish fabricating/testing in a few days. Perfectly legal...

When it goes live in a few days they wont see me, door will be shut.
Plant count will be within the legal limits, but the quantity will not. Rippers are a serious concern of mine as well as LEO.

Anyways the mom will talk to the kids, she's more concerned about the kids getting in there, than the legality.

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Since that is Alaska, all is just fine???:noway:
While you are at it, how about teaching the kids about the birds and the bees, too.:fsu:
and maybe even, Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy.:gaga:
Perhaps mom will help you demonstrate how babies are made and where they come from.:biggrin: jpt

Pffffft... :p

Yeah its prolly not my place to say what is ok and what isn't. Mom will take care of that.

Last edited:

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Honestly GGW?!
I don´t get how the kids keep coming for you, it´s the parents duty to explain their kids what´s going on on their property. Unless you´re playing the step-father role.
And my guess is that the kids already know/suspect what´s going on and they´re just testing everyone involved. Be aware that one looses the respect of the young ones it´s never easy to get it back.
I would NOT DO any work while the kids were around.

Agreed, I'm not really talking to them.. And you're right, I need to realize that I'm just some handyman, doing my thing. I guess I'm just interesting to them therefore the questions.

Ive been trying to do work when they are not there, but there's nothing wrong with building a perfectly legal greenhouse. There are no clones or anything there... yet...

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
in all 50 states it's legal to build a grow room, grow shed, grow box etc. it is perfectly legal to allow kiddies of ALL ages to view your work, in all 50 states. after all it's nothing more than a room, shed, or box until something is grown in it.

what specific law precludes a child from viewing an unfinished room or shed?

Just because it "legal" to grow in certain states, medical or recreational ....growing around children is CHILD ENDANGERMENT!!!!

Looked up a few legal blogs...the one that struck me GROW WEED AND LOSE YOUR KIDS....from attorney J.W. Lentz, January 2014...citing California situation.

Colorado Revised Statute 18-6-401 states in part that a person commits child abuse, if, in the presence of a child, or on the premises where a child is found, or where a child resides... the person knowingly engages in the manufacture or attempted manufacture of a controlled substance. "

By FEDERAL standards, cannabis is still a 'controlled substance'.

GGW, I think you're setting yourself up for trouble down the road....willingly....free beer, drinks. Does that mean if something does come down (legally), the wife will bail you out? Kids talk....and some pinch faced parents react!!

Do what you want....but why contribute to a possible problem when using common sense seems the best solution? Perhaps be a "silent partner" instructing the grow family.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just because it "legal" to grow in certain states, medical or recreational ....growing around children is CHILD ENDANGERMENT!!!!

Looked up a few legal blogs...the one that struck me GROW WEED AND LOSE YOUR KIDS....from attorney J.W. Lentz, January 2014...citing California situation.

Colorado Revised Statute 18-6-401 states in part that a person commits child abuse, if, in the presence of a child, or on the premises where a child is found, or where a child resides... the person knowingly engages in the manufacture or attempted manufacture of a controlled substance. "

By FEDERAL standards, cannabis is still a 'controlled substance'.

GGW, I think you're setting yourself up for trouble down the road....willingly....free beer, drinks. Does that mean if something does come down (legally), the wife will bail you out? Kids talk....and some pinch faced parents react!!

Do what you want....but why contribute to a possible problem when using common sense seems the best solution? Perhaps be a "silent partner" instructing the grow family.

RIGHT NOW... TODAY!!! it is nothing more than an unfinished project, there's nothing growing in there & so it's NOT unlawful or illegal in ANY way for a kid to see the shed. once a cannabis plant goes in there it's a different story.

GGW's dilemma from the start was the kids bothering him while he's setting up that shed. When I read posts like the one below from the OP I'm left to believe that there's nothing growing in a half finished shed yet, you have a different read on what's going on.

I guess thats the end of that. Pretty much spent the day doing rough construction. Let her explain... There are some other details I'm leaving out about these kids, lets just say they seem very protective of the mom for good reason .

I'm about half done, just finishing up some plumbing, run some wires and I'll be outta there. Couple more days tops, then the shed can run on autopilot while things are in veg.

so with rough construction going on, plumbing & wiring unfinished I'm doubting anything was currently growing in there. sounds unfinished to me, the OP never mentions any plants currently being under lights, you can see it your way & I'm gonna see it mine.......

stinkyigloo

I was doing some wwoofing in canada a few years back. The chap we were staying with had a handful of plants in the greenhouse, his wife's friend had just dropped them over the day before.

Anyway we were after a smke, admiring the girls as you do, when his kid comes rocking up.

"What are they daddy?" she asks.

Aaaaaaaaaaa, ask your mother, he goes. Parenting 101 right there

justpassnthru

Veteran
stoner4life, i believe I read he planned on tending to the crop, as well. I may be mistaken. He is fine now but, if he keeps going over to 'tend' to the plants, I see that as, the risky part.

I am in CA and a few years ago someone called the police on a guy with a serious drug history and all kinds of issues. He cleaned up his act and used MMJ and had been doing fairly well. He had children in the home.

The complaint was for a concern of pot and children, in the house.

The police removed his 2 plants and after the interrogation at the station, let him go. The 2 policemen took his plants back to him and talked with the landlord and requested the landlord allow him to grow. Citing he was a police problem before he started using mmj. And they felt he needed this!

That is most likely, the exception..though. You just never know. Teachers here lose their license to teach, if found anywhere around marijuana. Moral Turpitude ( like Sterling and the Clippers); I met 2 teachers that started a delivery service of mmj and waved good-bye to their teaching careers.

I know a guy with MS and his wife is a teacher, he use's, keeps little around the house and is trying to find a grow buddy, to grow at their house. The risk is too big for teachers, if found anywhere near pot. Yet, he is a legal patient.

Kids can be cute and fun but, freedom is much more fun! Glad you re-considered;
GGW, informative thread and sure glad you posted it.:ying: jpt

Last edited:

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Is her husband sick or disabled ?

How many years are you planning to be in this arrangement for ?

Does she pay for your gas money?

IMO setting up a grow like that Is kinda like you having a kid with the guys wife .

No real end date in site.. Most likely it will be shut down during the winter months. Unless heating upgrades are made. However they have plans of going bigger, but not that big.. prolly under 5KW.

Gas money is not an issue, stores and location is close. Im ok with it, I'm not paying utility so.. It seems fair to me.

I dont think its anything like having a kid with the guys wife. I think its more like splitting the check at the diner.

He's not disabled, he just doesn't know much about hydroponics..

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
stoner4life, i believe I read he planned on tending to the crop, as well. I may be mistaken. He is fine now but, if he keeps going over to 'tend' to the plants, I see that as, the risky part.

I am in CA and a few years ago someone called the police on a guy with a serious drug history and all kinds of issues. He cleaned up his act and used MMJ and had been doing fairly well. He had children in the home.
:ying: jpt

I have no drug or alcohol charges on me. And I intend to keep it that way.

The tending is fairly easy, I'm gonna keep a grow journal so she can see what i'm doing, so she can learn from what I do. Hopefully she will catch on.

RB56

Veteran
RIGHT NOW... TODAY!!! it is nothing more than an unfinished project, there's nothing growing in there & so it's NOT unlawful or illegal in ANY way for a kid to see the shed. once a cannabis plant goes in there it's a different story.

GGW's dilemma from the start was the kids bothering him while he's setting up that shed. When I read posts like the one below from the OP I'm left to believe that there's nothing growing in a half finished shed yet, you have a different read on what's going on.

so with rough construction going on, plumbing & wiring unfinished I'm doubting anything was currently growing in there. sounds unfinished to me, the OP never mentions any plants currently being under lights, you can see it your way & I'm gonna see it mine.......

The children's memories bridge that gap whether he ever returns to the grow or not. Friend of a friend is too risky for me. I wouldn't want to be the expendable person when push comes to shove.

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Well I'm glad thats over, all the girls are in, other than a few leaks at first that were quickly fixed.. Its all good now. I have a little finishing work to do but it will have to wait.

Everything is locked down, and is a forbidden zone.