What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Talking about Growing, Smoking, and Collecting.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Cannabis and poppy plants for a model train
IMG_20210424_095448054.jpg

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I have a buddy I've been best friends with for 50 years....He collects a lot of cool shit too...

This isn't weed related but I thought you might like it anyway..

Its a small poster and sheet of blotter that he has since had framed many years ago...If you look closely at the second pic, you can see that Tim Leary signed the sheet..

007.JPG
010.JPG

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
That is awesome Bud! I love stuff like that.
I used to have his biography in my collection but I guess I lost it.
Most of my stuff is weed related, but I pay homage to other substances too!
IMG_20210421_150619191.jpg

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Speaking of other substances...
here's the 70s era "McSpoon" coffee stirs that McDonald's discontinued because people used them for cocaine.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210424_095354120.jpg Views:	54 Size:	111.6 KB ID:	17841129

How One Woman Won the Fight Against McDonald’s Coffee Stirrers
The long free plastic spoons were once widely used for doing cocaine

By Jeremy Glass

Here’s a story that’s almost too strange to believe, but I assure you it’s all true. It involves McDonald’s coffee, their now-defunct stirrer, and illegal narcotics. It all started in the 1970s, when the disco was loud, the pants were wide, a small coffee from McDonald’s cost 15 cents, and cocaine use was rampant.

McDonald’s has always been big. The massive corporation hit the “1 millions burgers sold” milestone in 1955, a number that grew to 20 billion by 1976. Alongside their burgers, McDonald’s has sold coffee since the very beginning, with a small cup costing only 15 cents back in the '70s. McDonald’s coffee went without any sort of controversy for years, only to be pulled into the limelight after scalding 79-year-old Stella Liebeck in 1992. But back in the '70s, people were lovin’ it, just like they were loving their cocaine.

Back in the '70s, the rhinestones were shiny, and cocaine was friggin’ everywhere. Because experts and public health officials generally thought the drug was benign, people began taking it in droves, even flagrantly selling coke paraphernalia in magazines. While not everybody had the means to buy ivory drug sniffers, an estimated 11 percent of Americans had done coke by 1979.

Here’s where McDonald’s coffee stirrers come in. As you could’ve guessed, people had started using the free spoon-shaped stirrers that came with their coffee as a means to snort cocaine and PCP. In fact, reports say that a dose of cocaine was often called a “McSpoon” because of the way it was ingested. In 1979, the war on drugs was in full swing and a smaller coup against drug paraphernalia was waged that same year with the DEA’s Model Drug Paraphernalia Act, which lists a number of ways an object can be classified as paraphernalia.

Enter Joyce Nalepka, the former President of the National Federation of Parents for Drug-Free Youth. Nalepka was a concerned citizen who had somehow caught wind of the sinister use of McDonald’s spoon-shaped stirrers. She went on a personal crusade to get the stirrers banned from all McDonald’s stores.

“I have one more statement that will take about two minutes, that I think is important,” Nalepka said during a hearing before the Subcommittee on Criminal Justice in 1979.

“It is an important statement from the business community. The paraphernalia industry has told us several times that the McDonald’s Restaurant coffee stirrer makes an adequate cocaine spoon. That disturbed me. [...] Last evening at 6 o’clock Mr. Edward Schmidt, president of McDonald’s Restaurants, gave me permission to announce to you that McDonald’s will either redesign or discontinue the item altogether.”

So, how had Nalepka done it? All it took was a simple phone call to McDonald’s president, Ed Schmidt. After initially refusing Nalepka’s pleas, Schmidt reconsidered his stance after being asked to think of his kids. Schmidt eventually conceded.

On December 11, 1979, a tiny blurb came out in The Hour announcing the discontinuation of the stirrers: “It has been brought to our attention that people are using them illegally and illicitly for purposes for which they are not intended,” said spokesperson Doug Timberlake, citing Nalepka’s hearing. While the stirrers were officially taken off the market, this didn’t stop people from finding a way to them and using them for drugs. One undercover officer in Columbus, Ohio, reported McSpoons being sold “ten to a bundle in that town and twelve to a bundle in Detroit.” These days, you can find 20 stirrers labeled "used" on Ebay for $29.99

Last edited:
G

Amazing collection c-red. Silicone looking like the dildo section in a sex shop to the untrained eye. That's a hell amount mang.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Amazing collection c-red. Silicone looking like the dildo section in a sex shop to the untrained eye. That's a hell amount mang.

I've found several penis shaped bongs, that I want to buy and send to my ex bosses house. I think that it would fit him well.

JustGrowing420

Yeah! Big fan of psychedelics, lovely vintage blotter art.
They don't get discussed a lot here, seems somewhat taboo?

Nothing like a fat dose of acid or mushrooms and walking in nature!

Tim Leary bit of a lunatic though hahahaha

Legalcdn

Love the posters. Great art.

that is a shit load of silicon. You run a store? I will take a rigid silicone penis with rough edges to send to my ex boss.

blotter, yup loved it. Also blue and black mendela, cartoon and purple mike.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Love the posters. Great art.

that is a shit load of silicon. You run a store? I will take a rigid silicone penis with rough edges to send to my ex boss.

blotter, yup loved it. Also blue and black mendela, cartoon and purple mike.

No, no store. Lol bosses need ones with metal barbs.

I got a few blotters and a couple gels. Waiting for the right moment. Life always be getting in the way. He'll, I still got a blast of dmt left, that I don't have time for. Lol and it last last than 30min. Lol

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I saw something weird this morning.
I Run H3ad's modified lucas.
1 gram epsom salt
6ml micro 9ml bloom.

A couple days ago I got bionova SIlution. You're supposed to add silica to the water first.
Then I add the epsom salt. This morning after adding the epsom salt it smoked.. I saw wisps off fog or smoke coming off the top of the 5gal bucket. I thought I was tripping.lol. I stirred the bucket and it smoked more and a layer of white floated to the top and eventually disappeared.
Never seen that before, and I mixed up another bucket right afterwards and it behaved normally. I gotta figure that one out.

Legalcdn

Do you dissolve everything in it's own water container before mixing the batch? I wonder what is reacting to Potassium Silicate? That is the main chem in the SIlution? Or epson.. weird science..

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Do you dissolve everything in it's own water container before mixing the batch? I wonder what is reacting to Potassium Silicate? That is the main chem in the SIlution? Or epson.. weird science..

There's also boron in the SIlution. I'll take a pic. Something else too.

The only thing I can think of that could have been in the water, is maybe a drop of soap or shampoo fell in the bucket while it was sitting in the bathtub. Doesn't sound likely, but I definitely didn't put anything in the bucket other than water, then SIlution, then epsom.

But it's not repeatable, so something probably did accidentally drop in the bucket.
Crazy

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Maybe blotter? 😀

I wish! I quit work to take care of my grandparents, so I don't have much time for that. Lol. That's one of the reasons I have a tiny stockpile right now. That shit usually disappears a lil faster around me. 😂
BUT.. I overslept, woke up, peed, and went straight to mixing up a 5 gal. If anything.. it was a dream. 😂
So I for fucking sure rubbed my eyes after that first wisp. Lol.
I see something kinda similar to that wisp when i add yucca powder. There's so much air movement in the room that sometimes a tiny wisp of yucca dust will blow around as the clump from the spoon drops into bucket.
When I first saw it, I for a split second thought that it was yucca.. then I realized I added epsom not yucca. So I rubbed my eyes to get all the blurry out. Lol. Then I saw it again. It looked like it was steam coming out of warm water on a cold day. I stirred a little and then the top became opaque from I guess teeny tiny bubbles. The bubbles weren't big enough to see individually, so I don't even know if they were bubbles or some other kind of reaction. They stayed around for about 6 or 7 seconds and then the water went back to clear and I could see the bottom.

I might try to make a post in another thread, not many people stop by my thread. It's just weird.

I didnt realize that SIlution had other ingredients in it other than silica. I read one paper that some nutrient companies add boron to help stabilize the silica in the solution.

This whole fucking thing started because I can't ever seen to get RecycleSil to dissolve. I can add it and come back and hour later and see it in suspension and not dissolved. The ppm never raises by anything more than 4 or 5 ppm. So I ordered SIlution, thinking it was silicic acid formula, but it's derived from potassium silicate like agsil16. I also got a bag of brick hard potassium silicate that got too humid, so it's not going to work either.

I might try to put a drop of soap in a bucket and fill it with water and try again. Maybe the empty bucket was in the tub and my wife took a shower, and some soapy water splashed in there.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd

Thanks. I had came across that too. And the same basic thing from an old coot post. But I used some of the silica before it got hard. And Im guessing that it gained some weight when it hardened. I wrote email to kiss or buildasoil I can't remember which one, explaining the problem. They said they had experienced the same issue with a bag left opened. They said they tried to get it dissolved but failed, however they did say that didn't try hot or near boiling water.
I've read alot on silica lately. There's a few great silica threads on here.

Legalcdn

I have Perma-Guard DE - Food grade flour. It's quite nice Silica. I use it on top of coco to fight gnats and slow release SI for plant. I will see how 1/2 cup to 2 cup of water turns out. I can foliar feed with it in veg.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Well fuck. The power went out for about 13 hours. Doesn't sound like a big deal but no fans running and no dehuey caused humidity to go above the temperature. I've never seen that. It was like 83rh 75f.
I opened all the tents. Opened the door to the room and opened windows. I figured messing up the night cycle on a few tents was better than 83rh.
Well it's amazing how fast budrot can appear. I went ahead and chopped the MalPans. Lost a lil over an ounce(if dry) It was at the end of 13 weeks anyways but lots and lots of white pistils. Could have gone another couple weeks.
IMG_20210501_123803945.jpg
IMG_20210501_132038092.jpg
IMG_20210501_182322944.jpg
IMG_20210501_182327269.jpg
IMG_20210501_132052082.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts