What's new

T5 vs Reg shop lights..your opinion?

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
This site
http://donklipstein.com/f-spec.html
gives the actual outut frequencies of various fluorescents by brand and phosphor.

A little blue goes a long way, but I use 300 umol as a minimum leaf surface PAR level for growing and the actinics put out 129 umol 1/2" from the bulb. This compares to 500 for Flora Sun and 700 for Hydrofarm 6500K. I use the close up spots for these higher output growth bulbs and the blue comes from a semi-bare actinic HID bulb up high (PlusRite MH400BDX) covering every plant in the room all by its lonesome.

This does not grow the plants any better than using several coral fluorescents up close, but the budroom design gives more efficient use of electricity this way (circular room).

I find the above link most helpful for growing with fluorescents and I post it often.

ijim

T5s are more expensive. But you can find them much cheaper at commercial lighting distributors than grow suppliers. They are used as high bay and display case lighting. Pay particular attention to the reflectors, ballast placement and ventilation on these units.