What's new

T5 HO Vs Natural Light (Documented Results )

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
100% HO T5s from seedlings to ~ one week to harvest. Nuggz are super hard and heavy with a lot less heat than hps. Also lights are within 5" of plants. So called 'pop corn' is roughly golf ball size

E

Electroman7

Hey, interesting thread and experiment... But here are my 2 cents... Like you said, maybe outdoors the sun is too intense now... But let's compare T5 vs the sun in late april or may... I think that those times are better for seedlings than now, when the sun is very intense... What do you think ?

I

Iron_Lion

Hello Lion ...Yep I agree with what you are saying
I wouldn't do much more than veg with T5's as I have an option
to use another environment be it outdoors or HIDs

But I do have a few licensed gardens I consult for and they are Vegging massively thick and lush plant under 54watt T5 8 bulbs hoods and it rivals 1k vegging that I've been accustomed to .

I get good quality veg plants under my t5's too but it seems to take longer then plants I have grown under equivelent HID. It also seems to take a longer amount of time time to get the lateral branches growing. Different gardens and growing regimes might prove differently.

Not saying t5's arent worth it, just saying they will never match the sun or push light as deep as a 1k HID.

As with anything there is pro's and cons.

This one was veg'd under t5, but I just lost count of how many days she veg'd.

picture.php

GetUpStandUp

I went from 100% 600watts of flourecents, warm, and cool spectrum, and had great results, the past 2months I had them same strains outside with way less attention than before, and let me tell you nothing compares to nature, we can try, even come close, but man nature is where its at. Yes high heat, or dry conditions can play big roles in the plant but shade and maybe a green house could bring the mix just right. I agree with most here, if its a test of any kind you must factor everything, and yes just one hour more of light will be un balanced in comparison, equal light water nutes pot size strain clipping size, and ages the same, yeah all play their part. I know what your saying as far as your test goes, but its limited to you, and how you grow, for someone else they expect things like the above.

Nice indica plants tho, and good to see ppl still experimenting with new ideas.

Cabron

Veteran
100% HO T5s from seedlings to ~ one week to harvest. Nuggz are super hard and heavy with a lot less heat than hps. Also lights are within 5" of plants. So called 'pop corn' is roughly golf ball size

Hey There Petflora
Welcome ...
I enjoyed reading your input and participation at the RIU thread by Professur ...drank plenty of coffee reading all that .

honestly this forum could use a bit of coverage on what you took part in over there with regards to various T5 spectrum via the Aquatic hobby ...

so feel free to drop anything here ya feel fit ..

With regards to elite3c ....after actually digesting what you did on page 1 I feel it's pure Bullshit to come in here and drop a facking Plug for your business on LEDS in my T5 thread ..

It has no purpose nor did you take part in any discussion other than sales pitch ,,and as far as I know that's a Big not doing
in the TOU here .. You wanna advertise pay Gypsie get a Banner.

Mods feel free to jerk that stuff .....:wave:

Cabron

Veteran
I get good quality veg plants under my t5's too but it seems to take longer then plants I have grown under equivelent HID. It also seems to take a longer amount of time time to get the lateral branches growing. Different gardens and growing regimes might prove differently.

Not saying t5's arent worth it, just saying they will never match the sun or push light as deep as a 1k HID.

View Image

Yep Lion agreed ...
I guess for those not wanting to do the HID thing ..
T5 is the solution ...That plant is like the ones my friends using T5's for veg turn out ,,,and that is impressive make no mistake...

I'm thinking that for veg till 15" they are damn hard to beat with regards to cost and efficiency .

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks Cabron. I have a journal on IC, but for some lame ass reason journals do not allow direct access to my pics in my hard drive, but I can access them when posting to someone elses' thread. WTF?

I've brought this problem to the mods attention many times, so I can only assume the head poo- ba
doesn't get it, or doesn't give a shit. Perhaps he thinks he is spiting me. How childish. Anyway...

Good that I can post some damn good T 5 photos posted on IC, even if I say so myself.

As you know, Profs thread is quite long. I happened to stumble on it early on, shortly after I had already purchased a Quantum Bad Boy 4ft 8 bulb HO T5 + 8 each Quantum Grow and Flower bulbs and was in early veg.

I was having really good results with Quantum's Grow bulbs, but Prof hooked me and off I went. Tip # 1 You can veg very nicely using only Quantum grow bulbs, a great deal if you an buy them for < $10. Can't tell you about their bloom bulb cause I went in another direction- quantum levels above 2700K.

The aquarium hobbyist's demands for better lighting is driving better horticulture lighting. UVL an established aquarium bulb company is a pioneer looking to cater to our needs, which, spectrally speaking, aren't much different.

My go to bulb is ZooMed Florasun (~ $15). I think you could use them exclusively from veg- harvest and get damn fine results, but if you want to take it up a couple notches, then combine them during veg with a variety of UVL bulbs: 1/4 UVL Aquasuns. During early flower replace one Florasun with a Wave Point Coral Wave. By midflower replace the UVL Aquasun with UVL Red Sun and during the final 3 week stretch replace one Zoomed with one UVL 660. As I have an 8 bulb fixture this is doubled for me (total 8 bulbs).

FYI if I had it to do over again I would get 2 X 4 bulb fixtures. This leaves room for dropping some LEDs in between. Lighting is only as capable as the grow method and grower skillz. I have perfected my KISS version of F & D. Please visit my journal to learn about how stoopid simple growing can be using MY DIY 21st Century Flood & Drain System + HRs one step dry nute formula

For those who do not think T5s can rock the buds, these pics were taken last Friday. Today, they look much frostier with bigger fatter calyxes already. The buds are rock hard and heavy

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey, interesting thread and experiment... But here are my 2 cents... Like you said, maybe outdoors the sun is too intense now... But let's compare T5 vs the sun in late april or may... I think that those times are better for seedlings than now, when the sun is very intense... What do you think ?

Yes! I try to mimic mother nature as much as my budget allows indoors for a personal user. Details in my journal

The problem with outdoors is mother nature seldom cooperates, fully, and unless you are using a green house, bugs can undo you in the end.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran

View Image

I keep a daily log of everything I do/try. Otherwise I would have no clue

GetUpStandUp

Hello Lion ...Yep I agree with what you are saying
I wouldn't do much more than veg with T5's as I have an option
to use another environment be it outdoors or HIDs

But I do have a few licensed gardens I consult for and they are Vegging massively thick and lush plant under 54watt T5 8 bulbs hoods and it rivals 1k vegging that I've been accustomed to .

So I'm honestly extremely curious about the true potential of T5's as I'm new to their use personally and been a bit skeptical until now.

I removed two more siblings of the ECSD S1 batch from the T5 and made room for the new target plants ...2 of them
and adjusted the Hours to 15 on 9 off ..

I'll do this for only 5 days ....just like before

These are the two removed this morning
Yes your right my man, you can do some wonders with just the HOs, even more by mixing cfls with warm, and cool spectrums. I been pulling a perpeptual all year with results that smash any dealer on the streets. But I found that even tho it works well, the sun ade me understand its a whole different league now, pullin all her potental out which says I only was at 60% of what I could do with fake sun. It all boils down to having to grow indoors is thats all you can do. Right we do what we can, and T5s are the way to go indoor just because to heat is less, which makes a better grow, that damn heat!

Latest posts

Latest posts