What's new

synthetic to organic

mad librettist

Veteran
Since this thread has turned into a joke, i have a question that somehow i've not been able to find the answer to on the internet (i guess my google searches have all been mis-termed...)

All of my horticulture plants (at school) are started in this terrible, synthetically fertilized soil, when i take them home i hesitate to put them in the garden due to the chemicals creeping out from the rhizosphere's and killing micro-organisms all over my garden. So what i currently do is [1] pull my plants out of the pots, [2] shake off as much soil as possible, [3] then i run it through a stream washing as much of the dirt off as possible. [4] Once all the nasty ferts are off it gets planted into one of my gardens.

My question is how, once all the slow releasing fertilizers are broken down, long would it take for the me to take the infected soil, and then throw it in with my compost to actually use it again?
It's a shame to think i can't recycle tainted soil... most of this stuff i'm just planting cacti and herbs in.
any link to studies or experiments on this would be much appreciated i just really cannot find any scientific information on the subject for some reason.

peace, ngen.

I think you need some EM.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Have you seen that "tea in a box" kit.....Bounty tea something. Comes with a 5 gallon bucket and Alaskan "Humisoil".....plus the Sea Mineral mix...........The guy at the Hydro-store tried to sell me that at knife point,but I got away.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Have you seen that "tea in a box" kit.....Bounty tea something. Comes with a 5 gallon bucket and Alaskan "Humisoil".....plus the Sea Mineral mix...........The guy at the Hydro-store tried to sell me that at knife point,but I got away.
Yeah - I've seen that product line and read their information at the manufacturer's web site.

Heh......................

CC

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Capt.Cheeze1

For $140.00 you could buy a real compost tea brewer from Keep It Simple and you get 3 packets of compost tea material which is enough for 3 complete brews. That's enough for an entire cycle if applied correctly.

Pretty cheap money....................

CC

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Capt.Cheeze1

For $140.00 you could buy a real compost tea brewer from Keep It Simple and you get 3 packets of compost tea material which is enough for 3 complete brews. That's enough for an entire cycle if applied correctly.

Pretty cheap money....................

CC
Here's a question for ya'......
Made a 30 gallon tea consisting of the following:
1 cup alfalfa
1 cup n. bat guano
1 cup kelp meal
1 cup fish bone meal/p. bat guano 50/50 mix
1 cup EWC
1/2 cup Molasses
4 cups fish hydrolysate

Bubbled at full blast for over 24 hours and hit the girls in flower tonight.

I'm pretty confident it's all hunky-dorry,but that's a bit strong eh?

EDIT: Also a splash of Lacto. B.

CannaExists

Paint Your DreamStrain
Veteran
To sir ngen:

You might want to think about starting another compost pile that you don't plan on using for gardening. I have 2 compost piles that I use for gardening, that are intentionally jacked up with green manures and organic vegetable scraps and the like, and then I have ANOTHER compost pile that I don't plan to use for gardening anytime soon. That's where I take all my pisses and throw all conventional produce scraps... more for the benefit of not having to throw things in the trash/ piss in our drinking water, than for gardening purposes. And I figure hey, if I give it a long enough time it might be usable someday.

N

ngen

Perhaps if you flushed your soil with clear water and let it dry out for a few days and then hit it with an aerated compost tea to reintroduce aerobic microbes into the soil you might find it helpful.
CC

Will get around to doing that within a few days.

mad librettist; said:
I think you need some EM.
I was thinking the same thing, and i was also thinking if I simply applied a tea or compost that most the organisms would die. The idea of flushing it with water had not occurred to me.

CannaExists; said:
You might want to think about starting another compost pile that you don't plan on using for gardening. I have 2 compost piles that I use for gardening, that are intentionally jacked up with green manures and organic vegetable scraps and the like, and then I have ANOTHER compost pile that I don't plan to use for gardening anytime soon.

I'll put the washed soil into a pile like this, thanks for the idea.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
To sir ngen:

You might want to think about starting another compost pile that you don't plan on using for gardening. I have 2 compost piles that I use for gardening, that are intentionally jacked up with green manures and organic vegetable scraps and the like, and then I have ANOTHER compost pile that I don't plan to use for gardening anytime soon. That's where I take all my pisses and throw all conventional produce scraps... more for the benefit of not having to throw things in the trash/ piss in our drinking water, than for gardening purposes. And I figure hey, if I give it a long enough time it might be usable someday.

After long road trips, I often jump out of the car when I get home and race my ass over to the compost pile to incorporate this extra moisture in the pile. :)

After long road trips, I often jump out of the car when I get home and race my ass over to the compost pile to incorporate this extra moisture in the pile. :)

When my wife nags me about not recycling enough (I don't like certain forms of recycling, but we disagree on the subject), I just remind her I take all my pisses outdoors and she doesn't. I really like being able to piss standing up.