What's new

Sylvania Grolux HPS. Any good? Suitable for vertical grow?

:wave: 1. Is there one type of Sylvania Grolux bulb, or different flavours?

:wave: 2. Are they cross-spectrum, ideal for grow and flower?

:wave: 3. Are they any good?

and most importantly,

:wave: 4. Are they good for a vertical grow?

G

Ditto Harry Gypsna on the digital ballast thing. Mine test bulb fired but after a few days the 'whine' or very high pitched hum/vibration got worse.

I'm still trying to figure out which MH bulb works best in a Lumatek 600. The Sunmaster works but not well.

SoulRebel

I've been meaning to try the Grolux bulb for some time now. They claim to be better than the trusty Hortilux. Can't wait for some feedback on this one... :headbange

... S R... :rasta:

I always use hortilux. I claim to have a bigger dick than ron jeremy, doesn't make it true.... even though it is, really, it is.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
I've had great grows with them, but I've also lost a few to ignition problems. An occasional bump with my head, or switching off at the mains, rather than via the timer - minor stuff really, but some refused to kick in afterwards.

I had one die for three days whilst I was away, and when I returned, I gave it a flick, and it came on. The plants were visibly struggling, and very cold! Suffice to say I bought a new one the next morning, and then that died a few weeks later. Each time I reverted back to my old Son T Agro bulbs, which never failed.

This time I'm trying Sunmaster, and this time they had better work, or I'm ramming one of these up someone's ducting...:)

G

Yes I recommend them, many of us commercial growers use them. They are cost effective and seem to really produce the results they claim.
I use only 600w HPS version, love them. though I do hit the odd one every now and then that blows or burns out really fast, still worth it for the price

K. That's the 1st 3 questions answers, thanks. Need to push on the 4th. Can anyone post proof that the Sylv bulbs are suitable for a vert groe like mine.

G

had great results with mine..and they work in both my 600 futurebrite and lumatek with no issues..This is the best I can do for proof..

best of luck

rooted

GabrielKnight said:
:wave: 1. Is there one type of Sylvania Grolux bulb, or different flavours?

they are all the same spectrum if that's what you're asking, no choice in "flavors"

:wave: 2. Are they cross-spectrum, ideal for grow and flower?

yes they have enhanced blue just like all the grow bulbs. of course they claim to have more than everyone else :jerkit:

:wave: 3. Are they any good?

yes

and most importantly,

:wave: 4. Are they good for a vertical grow?

yes i just harvested a vertical setup in cooltubes.

BUT

don't buy them off ebay, nuff said