What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

SWAMPTUBE resource thread

G

im interested in trying a couple swamptubes this year and am having trouble locating info, i was hoping you guys would help me start a swamp tube resource thread by posting any swamptube info that you have like soil mixtures, construction and any other relevant info or links, ive read about people using pvc, tires, garbage cans, and sticks with fencing and plastic
any info is greatly appreciated
thanks in advance
pseudo

G

thanks a bunch outdoor , courtesy to breeder brad :
Alright here's a great method of growing,designed especially for swamp/bog growing.this tube system was developed in the gulf islands region,basically the problem out there is that the soil is very rocky and not very fertile,as a result they needed to figure out a way to grow in swamps which they have a lot of.They go out to a swampy area,chop the vegetation off the top of the soil,then they chop it up a little.Then they take hog wire fence(this is a special wire that is about 5 feet high with small holes at the bottom and larger holes at the top.)First cut the top 2 feet off the wire(the part with the biggest holes)Then with the remaining 3 feet of fence,make a circle(tube,hoop)about 2,2.5feet in diameter,and stick it 6 inches down into the swamp,and firmly secure it in this shape with a pair of plyers.Then take heavy duty black polyethelene available at most hardware stores,and line the inside of the tube with it,go around the perimeter like 1.5 to 2 times folding the extra plastic over the top of the wire to keep it in place.NOTE:you are only lining the perimeter,and leaving the bottom open.next you fill the tube with about 2/3 of a 3.8 cubic foot bale of peat moss.This stuff has great capillary action,and holds water well.this is the base of your soil,it's really up to you what you use for nutrient value.these guys grow organic,and use blood meal,bone meal,fresh seaweed,sunflower seeds hulls,composted chicken/turky manure,bat guano,kelp meal, compost and pretty much anything else organic they can get there hands on.They water with organic teas ebery couple of weeks as well.Now out where i live i have to make substitutions,and you can use chemilcal ferts too,just use something designed for hydroponic use ie.. not mirical grow! so the salts build up slower.you can add perlite and vermiculite as well,but not requiered.KEEP IN MIND...that this mix is quite acidic as is the swamp water/ground,so you will need to add between 5 to 10 pounds of dolimitc lime,depending on the exact soil recipe you used.make sure you mix the soil very well and your pretty much set.you should end up with a 2.5foot diameter X2.5 foot high planter full of nutrient soil.the concept is that the small roots derive most of the nutrients from the contents of the tube,while the plant will put a tap root down into the swamp,and be supplied with unlimited water.The result is an extremly large plant,once it starts to grow you can re-attatch the top 2 feet of the hog wire around the top of the tube and stick the lower branches out the holes,this keeps the plant upright and also causes the lower branches to get lots of light,and produce same size buds as the middle of the plant.This method will produce extremely large plants,which will yeild an excess of a pound per plant,making the work well worthwhile.these guys plant 12 plant gardens that often yeild in the range of 10lbs.Any ways i hope i did'nt forget anything,so get out in those swamps and over grow the goverment .i hope every one enjoys this

Greens

Yes, I use a very similar method of growing all the time. I learned it from Breederbrad as well.

Instead of the hog wire, I use the large rubbermaid totes with the bottoms cut out (20 gallon or larger). I just break up the swampy ground with a spade, mix in a half cup of dolomite lime, then jam the plastic container down a few inches into the muck. Then, I put a large coco coir brick in each container (almost enough to fill a 20 gallon tote). Coir is much easier to transport than peat is.

I come back in a week or so to let the coir expand (either from rain or soaking up swamp water). I come with a few supplies to add to the containers. I break up all the coir with my spade and then top them all up with some top soil, a pound of worm castings, a pound of tropical bat guano and another half-cup of dolomite lime.

Once done, I have planting beds sitting about 1.5 feet above the swampy ground. The coir wicks up moisture from below, but because the containers are above ground, they still hold plenty of air for the roots as well. If the water level drops, the plants will shoot tap roots right down into the swamp. This way, they don't need to be watered all season even when it hasn't rained for a very long time. I usually feed them earth juice catalyst throughout and EJ bloom once I see the pistils starting.

I've had great luck with this method...

Check my gallery for lots of pictures.

Greens

Last edited:
G

Awsome plants! and pic's Greens!
~Best of luck to pseudo krypto! think i may have ago at this.

G

thanks for stopping by guys, i think ill try the rubbermaid method too, where can i buy coco other than the grow shop? lowes maybe? that guerilla gold is looking good, i didnt get the greatest germ rates with mine so im gonna have to do a seed run this summer, the boreal genetics outdoor mix germed awesome so there should be some winners in there for sure, its gonna be a good year, especially if i dont have to dig holes or water, ill be sure to add some pics once i get them going
peace

G

6 out of 12 made it to seedlings while 11 out of 12 bg mix made it
thanks
pseudo

Greens

Sorry about that. Contact me late in June and I will hook you up with some of the new GG#3s when they are done. 50% is too low... Was that the GG1 or 2?

Greens

G

cool, good lookin out greens, it was gg2, im plannin on crossin it with ducksfoot and the bg mix for some super early genetics so i should be able to share the wealth when the time comes
thanks again