What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Swamp tubes

phrank

thank you very much, but I have even more questions...

thank you very much, but I have even more questions...

First of all, thanks lemonade, the formula for the volume of a cylinder is something I should know, but the sheer potential of swamps had my head spinning, and I totally forgot... lol! :redface:

I am assuming that a portion of the tubes are driven into the ground. My question is approximately how much of the length of the tube is below the ground? I am guessing 6 to 12 inches..?

Thanks,

phrank

phrank

bump

bump

Come on bob dole - inquiring minds want to know how the swamp tubes are working out.

Also, for those interested: the Cannabis Culture Website has an interesting article archived from Cannabis Culture magazine, and a thread started by Breeder Brad pertaining to this subject.

swamp thing - you make my heart sing,

phrank

G

WELCOME BOB!!!!!!

GREAT idea,have seen this somewhere also?
Glad you shared the pics and info for the folks!
WHere i was from and going back to that will work
just great and i like the concrete toobs killer bro!!!!!

THeres lots of root space so be ready for a BIG HARVEST!!
Hope evrything is safe around there,you know theives SUCK.
Listen'get some (miracle gro ferts) bro with numbers like this
15/30/15 on the box and mix with water then hit them a bunch
of light doses like 2 teaspoons per gallon water and BOOOOOM!!!!
Trust me thats all they need a few feedings and then water a bit..
Another thing you may try since it is in swamp land(acidic bad) get
some lime powder and mix with water poor over top to lower acid!
Keeping your plants from lockin up in bud stage,you wanna finish BIG!!
Good Luck,need anything ask ill be back for this ending..COOL!!!!!!!

phrank

questions...

questions...

bob dole-

I am wondering how those concrete tubes held-up? Did the yellow tubes prove superior? How far into the muck are your tubes sunk? I could only find the 12" tubes locally. For some reason I thought that they would be more "substantial." On the other hand, they don't weigh much, can be nested to a degree, and are relatively inexpensive. I can see where they might be superior to 5 gallon pails, as they are taller, and therefore probably more "immune" to water depth fluctuations. There is a grower who pops in here from time to time, who goes by the name of "Greens." Rather than use peat based mixes for his swamp buckets, he uses large coir bricks, which are much easier to transport. Anyway, I can't wait for the updates, as there are probably half a dozen huge marshes within a twenty minute drive.

peace,

phrank

G

I've always liked swamp tubes and i definitely can appreciate your take on them mr. senator. i'm thinking im definitely going to utilize these next year using 36" x8"D sections of schedule 40 pvc spray painted green (with possible brown vertical stripes to break them up visually) stuck 12" into the ground with 24" above ground. For medium, I have to get the ratios/amounts right, but i think ill use dolomite lime, osmocote time release 14-14-14 ferts, and coir bricks as it was mentioned that greens uses.
anybody have an idea on how much dolomite lime to use, and should i concentrate it mainly in the bottom of the tube? I estimate since only 24" will be above ground, thats about how much of the tube ill be filling, so thats about 4.9 gallons.

i just have to figure out how much coir, lime, and nutes per tube and then its time for fuuuun :)

phrank

PVC...

PVC...

The PVC would definitely be more durable. That was my only worry with the cardboard concrete tubes. On the other hand, I would prefer a greater diameter tube with its consequently larger volume. Does PVC come in 10" or 12" diameter? Man, this is an awesome subject! I have really enjoyed discussing it with y'all. Can't wait to see how it's working out for bob dole!

phrank

DirtDevil

Great thread and all, but I still haven't got an answer to the most important question of all.

Where can I get them?
What do I ask for

Examples of places I can get them might be :
Ace, the helpful hardware place...
Lowes????
Wal - mart??

DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHERE THESE CAN BE BOUGHT???????
thanks

Last edited:

lemonade

Veteran
They are called concrete forms, which was stated earlier in the thread. In fact, if you type "Concrete Tube" in google the first result is "Concrete Tube Form".

You can find them any place construction materials are sold. Kinda hard for us to know if your local lowes or ace stocks them, as each store is different. Why don't you call them and ask.

blackone

Veteran
Nice one - got this bookmarked and hoping for updates:=)
I'm in the stage of planning a guerilla grow next year and 9/10 of the possible places I've seen have been marshes.

bob dole

Here's a few updated shots

With this dry year less peatmoss is better in the bottom that's why I think i have a few yellow girls. but at the same time all of the are tanks!

G

No prob Bob!

Still very fine in the natural place,bluegreen
colors and happy enuff to finish well i think!
What ferts are you using for budding stage?
Cool grow!

phrank

sweet!

sweet!

Looking good! Have you had to water? Check out the thread titled "Marsh Madness" to see a fellow swamp thing at work! Nice to see that the tubes have held-up. Any signs of deterioration?

phrank

Greens

Yes, the swamp is the place to be! Nice plants, bob dole. Budding is about to start for you. Also, check out my "Outdoor Madness 2007!" thread I recently started to check out even more swamp growing in action, hehe.

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This looks awesome!

I think using coco/perlite in the bottom would help with root development and stop em getting too soggy...

You could top dress with heaps of dry ferts to keep em going too :yes:

Now i just have to find a swamp... not easy in the drought... :chin:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts