What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

swamp coolers and humidity

Hello all!

I have a 3' x 3' x 8' grow closet with a 400w hps hortilux and I want to try and cool my closet by about ten degrees F. Cutting holes in the top of the closet was not an option, so I installed a new door on the closet with two 4" computer fans. I also had a large oscillating fan going, but temps still stayed in the 80s (F). Humidity during veg was 40-60% and 20-40% during flower.

I am eagerly awaiting SD shipment of BOG LSD, Nirvana Papaya, Nirvana AK48, and hopefully some freebies :) So, needless to say, I am trying to improve my closet situation for my good genetics.

Anyway, I read one post by Farmer John where someone had suggested a swamp cooler, and I was wondering what you guys thought about them. Has anyone used a swamp cooler? Do you think it will affect humidity too much?

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated
:D Freeda Green

:wave:

G

I've made a few swamp coolers over the years for other stuff but never for grow op. Humidity would be an issue to address.

I thought about it but I need more than the marginal cooling (5-10 degree max) it would give me. Plus when the relative humidity gets to a certain level a swamp cooler does not work. It's just a big fan. Oh yea it will rust every thing that is not stainless steel(cost me a fortune in my machine shop once)

In more moderate climates(not Texas) they would probably work alright

Tex

Texas Kid,

I wish I could say that I live in an arid climate, but I don't. I'm just a few states away from you on the gulf coast. ;)

I think my humidity levels were on the high side during veg because I watered too much. I have been regenerating one plant from my last grow, and humidit has stayed around 24%

I actually thought I was going to have worse temp/humidity problems, but with the ac in the house running all the time it wasn't so bad. I think my light just warms the closet a little too much for my little computer fans to do the trick.

G

Is your ballast for the light in the room or is it remotely mounted?

Get a real exhaust fan or a 6" inline fan something that will move the hot stagnant air out of the room. A 3x3x8 you could have a 265-440cfm fan and have no problems

Tex

G

Get a real exhaust fan or a 6" inline fan something that will move the hot stagnant air out of the room. A 3x3x8 you could have a 265-440cfm fan and have no problems

Tex

TK,

I hadn't really thought about replacing my computer fans. I'll have to give that some thought. I used them because they are quiet, and I didn't want a fan mounted to the door that was gonna be real noisy. It is a good thought . . . have to talk it over with the other half, but definitely a good thought.

Thanks,

Freeda Green

G

Bayou la Battry is that were you are at?

I love the Forrest Gump reference

Tex

I know this may sound funny...

but has anyone tried rigging up a reseviour inside an old fridge? It would be a hella lot cheaper(free).

I've got a top opening, old resturaunt cooler maybe 2.5x2.5x3 box, would probably be good for a small system.

What would the effect be of running a fridge sideways(so it was top opening)? Off the ground and well ventilated underneath of course.

Rabbitt-420

An a/c duct in the closet would only cause the smell to go under the door into the remaining room.

Now installing a intake duct it would suck air from under the door up past your plants and would suck the smell clear out of the room.

So your heat and smell is gone seeing as there a filter up in a intake grid.

Just an idea i had when i saw sttb saying that about the a/c duct.

still pondering my options

still pondering my options

hey guys,

thanks for the suggestions about the a/c duct, but I can't put holes in the sheet rock in the closet . . . that is why I was considering either a swamp cooler or window ac unit

does anyone know much about window unit air conditioners, is there any reason why one wouldn't work in a closet (no window)

Texas Kid,

talked to the fiancee about the 6" in line or dayton to replace the computer fan, his question is about the noise. The closet is in our bedroom, and its a small house . . . we have to be kind of stealthy about the noise.

I have also thought about buying the glass for our sun system 1 reflector along with the air cooled fittings, so that we could just buy one more computer fan and just duct the heat out through a second exhuast fan. Do you think that a 4" computer fan could pull enough hot air off a 400w hps to change my temps by 10 degrees F if I bought the glass to seal the reflector and ran ducting to the fan?

Thanks!
;) Freeda Green

Rabbitt-420

A window a/c unit would work against itself not being in a window.
It would cool the air but the rear of it ( the part that should be outside) will put off more heat thats already in there.

Is it possible to crack the closet door a few times a day for like 20 minutes each time ?

I always leave my door open while in veg.

When i go into flower i throw a 16 inch fan in there and let it do its magic.
Stays under 75 in there during the hottest part of the day.

Right now, while regenerating the one plant, we have actually left the door to the closet open, but that didn't bring temps down enough . . . you see, when we open the door we basically lose the use of the two computer fans that are installed on the door to the closet because there is no vacuum effect.

with the door open the temp has improved, but with the household ac on 72 F the temp in the closet stays at about 80 F, and that is still a little hotter than I want it for when my BOG beans get here

I don't think I could afford my electric bill if I try and keep my house ac lower than 72 F, plus 72 F feels pretty cold - I'd turn blue if I turned it down any further.

G

Put the actual exhaust fans in the attic and pull from the top of the closet. Heat rises so you don't need that much to draw it up.

The exhaust directky off the light housing goes along way also to keep it cooler.

Tex

Hey Tex,

With a 265 cfm Dayton exhaust fan for my 3 x 3 x 8, do you think I could get by with a passive intake on the closet? That way I could move both 4" computer fans to the C13 we are building for a mother/veg chamber.

:abduct: Freeda Green

Latest posts

Latest posts