What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sure fire seed sprouting

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Here are two tips. You can paste yellow stickies on a piece of styrofoam and make it portable and place it anywhere easily. 2nd tip. I like to keep a dry pot of soil next to the wet ones as a reference. I check when the plants need water by picking up both pots and match them to make sure it's ready for watering... 😎

Attachments

• photo2067853.jpg
    photo2067853.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 44
  • photo2067855.jpg
    photo2067855.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 46

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
The last 4 Hashberry are needing water every day and are ready to up-pot in a bigger pot. Heres are photos of the last 4 germinations on this cycle again without any failure. This method works and has worked for years without losing any seed. Happy gardening. 😎

Attachments

• photo2069660.jpg
    photo2069660.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 37
  • photo2069661.jpg
    photo2069661.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 42
  • photo2069662.jpg
    photo2069662.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 39

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Update 30 days after sprout, I have my Ganesh and Safari Mix females up-potted into 5 and 3-gallon pots and the 4 Hashberrys still unsexed. 😎

Attachments

• photo2071803.jpg
    photo2071803.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 56

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Here are the plants today. No downtime from over-watering or under-watering. Weighing the cups, in the beginning, can save so much time and money. . 😎

Attachments

• photo2076103.jpg
    photo2076103.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 43
  • photo2076110.jpg
    photo2076110.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 40

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Didn't lose not one seed and now I have a room full of plants with flowers. 😎

Attachments

• photo2080795.jpg
    photo2080795.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 43
  • photo2081305.jpg
    photo2081305.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 40

Indica808

How long do you leave your new seedlings under a 12/12 light cycle? Also, when do you increase your light time to a vegging photo period?

Thanks, great thread.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I start increasing the daylight hours when I see the first leaf, I add about 1;15 mins a week. If you only have a timer that does hours then 1hr a week for the first 3 weeks, then 2 hours on the 4th week. I seem to get more females when I add to the photoperiod gradually. 😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Even if you only veg for 4 weeks after sprout, do it anyway because you can just flip to 12/12 after the females show their sex. I always wait until I see pre-flowers before I reduce the photoperiod to 12/12 and that can take 5 or 6 weeks.. 😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
These seeds were worth the money and I didn't lose even one. If I would have overwatered my seedlings even one time, these plants would have been delayed, and I wouldn't be where I am now. Here are some photos from today, it's time to start the fade. 😎

Attachments

• photo2088130.jpg
    photo2088130.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 51
  • photo2088131.jpg
    photo2088131.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 51

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I start seeds under 24/0..

Yes, the 24-hour lighting warms the soil and helps to germinate the seed, however, running 24 hr lighting for plants is unnatural. Once there's a leaf it's best to always give your plants nighttime for their metabolism. Plants have circadian rhythms tuned to Earth's 24-hour light-dark cycle and do best when given the darkness. 😎

Yes, the 24-hour lighting warms the soil and helps to germinate the seed, however, running 24 hr lighting for plants is unnatural. Once there's a leaf it's best to always give your plants nighttime for their metabolism. Plants have circadian rhythms tuned to Earth's 24-hour light-dark cycle and do best when given the darkness. 😎

Yo creeper. How does that manifest as the 'best' in real terms? Eg. more potent, larger yield..?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Plant metabolism is defined as the complex of physical and chemical events of photosynthesis, respiration, and the synthesis and degradation of organic compounds. ... Plant secondary metabolism produces products that aid in the growth and development of plants but are not required for the plant to survive.
A series of metabolic processes happen in different parts of the plants such as leaves, stems, and roots. These processes include photosynthesis, respiration, and nitrogen fixation. Photosynthesis is a series of complex processes that converts light energy, carbon dioxide, and water into glucose.Google

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Lastly, Plants, shrubs, and trees use sunlight for photosynthesis during the daytime, but at night they need darkness to regenerate a key compound - phytochrome. Nighttime lighting can reduce vegetation's ability to properly create this compound. Google

Fair enough, I will look up phytochrome. Im not convinced that the benefits would be enough to discern in a side by side smoke off. I get around 1.8-2g/w so yield isn't an issue. The plants don't get too much light because i balance the DLI. The only reason I dont have a dark period in veg is because its not convenient for me, though I'd like to, something like a 17/7 I think the plants would transition better? into flower..

edit: oops I thought this was the first page, didn't realise it was a tutorial, my bad.

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I can't remember where to find the study, but basically what you say is correct providing that the plants receive optimum DLI. If your lights are not delivering that, then it is best to use 24 hour lights on to deliver the maximum light energy.... but if your lights ARE able to give the plants optimum DLI during the lights on period, then a dark period is preferable, because as you say, there are night time plant processes too.
VG

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Almost finished my friends, here's a photo of the same pencil I used to plant the seed with a few months ago. (75-day) flowers😎

Attachments

• photo2093012.jpg
    photo2093012.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 42
  • photo2093017.jpg
    photo2093017.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 49

Latest posts

Latest posts