What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Supreme Court: Quebec ban on homegrown is constitutional

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
I worked with Montréal-based companies for over 30 years. Some observations:

The quality of the food is more important than the quantity.

They hate the UK monarchy. Passionately.

They think the French from France are seriously stuck up and full of themselves with special venom for Parisians. In turn, the French think that they are quaint rural cousins.

July 1 – Canada’s birthday and a national holiday – is traditionally a major house moving/apt changing day in Quebec. Somehow, this is to show their disdain for the English dogs that won the war.

They believe that Montreal bagels are the best in the world – and they might be right. Traditionally, if you are an Anglophone you swear by Fairmount Bagels and St-Viateur if you are Quebecois.

Their roads and highways are crap. Crumbling mob-sourced concrete is a big part of the problem.

Bouillon Bilk is the best restaurant in Montreal. A bit noisy but amazing food. But I really love Estiatorio Milos in Montreal’s Greektown (get the zucchini and eggplant appetizer). I have also eaten at the Milos restos in Vegas and Athens but they were not as good as YUL. On the subject of food, a stop at Schwartz's Deli for smoked meat is worthwhile if the lineup isn't too long. Grab a bottle of their steak spice as well.

Unless you like a lot of snow and really cold temps, avoid Quebec in the winter. I was offered the #2 position at the company that I worked for and I turned it down because I would have had to relocate to Montreal . . .

Last edited:

Tynehead Tom

I too have friends in quebec.... a couple real close ones in fact.
I have nothing against the french canadian people but I find quebec's "special considerations" that I have witnessed all my life is a plague on the rest of Canada. Always that separatiste nature to the politics and I a sick and bloody tired of having to see french on every product throughout the nation..... it's just plain dumb as fuck..... again no offense to the people but the politics make me wanna puke. Either be wholly part of Canada or seperate already.

In the end Quebec voters are voting in pond scum for politicians and wonder why thier "privledges" are not being granted by the government. It's really that simple and until quebec sheds itself of the past and wholly joins canada instead of using separatism as black mail "and" votes in a new lot of political leaders...... the past will just repeat itself and Quebec will become more and more isolated and restricted than the rest of canada.

Mithridate

Born and raised quebecer here, the French type too 🤣

TBD post is pretty accurate, although I don't know if passionately hate uk monarchy is still a thing, maybe for the 80+. We mostly find it ridiculous.

Moving day use to be may 1st but changed to July 1st some time ago.
"French law in the 18th century set May 1 as the starting date for all legal agreements, including leases." (Wtf right?)

Mob sourced asphalt is actually a thing, we call it 5 years asphalt, it's been like this for a long time. The minister of transport released a statement to say that engineers have found the supreme best recipe and asphalt only lasts 5 years here because "reasons".

I was sitting in a meeting with x y people, one of them told the story of how another contractor betted a much lower price to install 3 years asphalt. The 5years asphalt guy denounced them as dishonest lol.

Also to Tom's point, for having worked in different provinces quebecers are HATED for some 40years old tribal reason or some shit. You basically cannot integrate. The one time I was in "the clique" is when dudes kept messing with me and I knocked 2 Albertans the f out, then I was the not so sissy quebecer. The fuck lol

Yeah and voting. Most are liberal lifers, then college people are a lost cause. There ls like 40 people that can think clearly. Change is improbable.

Last edited:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Yeah nobody ever says that here 🤣

I am quite proud of the fact that I taught proper English-language swearing to the sale's staff at the company I worked for in Repentigny.

We were a 'member' of the Montreal entertainment 'mafia'. I leant $25K worth of gear to Celine's engineer for a recording session, Guy from Cirque bought the best speakers we sold (Focal GU $250K) etc etc . . . Great friends and good times. (y)

Tynehead Tom

I once went on a long haul run wiith my uncle who was a big rig driver. I guess the parents wanted some time off so they sent my for a ride along with uncle doug..... the hells angel truck driver LOL Rest His Soul.
Anyhow, Uncle doug was cool, I really liked him , he let me smoke the whole trip.
I ran out of butts as we were travelling into Duval where he was dropping off and picking up a load to return with. I jumped out of the cab and ran across the street to a corner store to buy some smokes and munchies. When I got to the counter, the old fat guy sittin there on a stool refused to serve me because I was an "anglo" and couldn't speak french .... despite the mandatory french language class I was forced into in grade 8 the year before this road trip took place. Guy actually got all pissed off when I spoke english , asking for a pack of players king size. He grabbed the stuff I had on the counter and put it on a side shelf behind the till and pointed at the door..... I was like what the actual fuk just happened in my own country!!!!????
So I will admit I have no love for the entity that is quebec. Nothing against the people per say, but I don't agree with most of how the rest of canada has to bend to quebec's special interests politically. I also don't approve of the government in quebec and thier over reaching policies on cannabis and legally owned firearms.

anyhow I will leave it at that LOL

Latest posts

Latest posts