What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Supreme Court: Quebec ban on homegrown is constitutional

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
I feel really sorry for Quebec growers. When Canada legalized, the Quebec gov't decided that their populace was not capable of growing cannabis without the whole province circling down the toilet so they forbid it. Someone went through the cost and effort to challenge the law and they won the case. The province appealed to the Supreme Court of Canada and they sided with the province.

So no legal growing in Quebec . . .

"The Constitution allows Quebec to implement the restrictions, which do not frustrate the purpose of the federal Cannabis Act, the Supreme Court of Canada said in a unanimous ruling. The federal law permits people to grow or own up to four cannabis plants at home.
"The provincial act's public health and security objectives and its prohibitions are, to a large degree, in harmony with the objectives of the federal act, and there is no basis for finding a conflict of purposes," Chief Justice Richard Wagner wrote for the court."

Source: CTV News

Dime

Maybe the black market may thrive as people will be pissed off and not buy it from legal sources,I'd rather see the person on disabilty or struggling make a buck on it anyway.

Published April 14, 2023 6:41 a.m. EDT

Quebec's ban on possessing and cultivating cannabis plants for personal purposes is constitutional, Canada's high court ruled Friday.

Mithridate

Outside of big cities theres a lot french speakers yeah..

further restricts any language other than French.
It just made french the official language so native French speakers (the vast majority) cannot be refused a job on the basis of fuck french.

Also requiring shops to put up signs in both french and english.. this ones pretty funny though 😉

Ultimately the refusal is a good thing I'd say.. who needs waves of new hip growers growing mids anyway.

Here dispensaries can only reup on government approved le cannabis. It's not like regular folks could offload flowers for some dollars, encouraging growers to show off their best in a healthy competition. Instead monopoly weed reigns supreme..

Last edited:

Legalcdn

Perhaps Quebec should ban wine making too. Don't forget to put maple syrup on the made at home ban as sugar causes diabetes.

Love the province but the laws are bizarre considering they are more free spirited in a Euro sense.

Reactions: Rgd

Mithridate

Well.. Quebec is beautiful but I'll have to agree. Some laws are heavily favoring the PM friends 😉

Can't touch maple syrup! That would start a war overnight.

da kine

Incredible that the supreme court there sided with a province. Actually, it is difficult to understand. Really too bad. In the country just south of there individual states never supersede the feds. Perhaps someone should take another look at the ruling, and see if the inquiry was not too specific, and that other more sharp angles were missed. 😭

Ca++

Perhaps Quebec should ban wine making too. Don't forget to put maple syrup on the made at home ban as sugar causes diabetes.

Love the province but the laws are bizarre considering they are more free spirited in a Euro sense.
Free Spirited?
I think obstinate. They are the most likely, in the world, to have a strike. I bet they are having one now.
Google: Thursday was the 12th day of some national strike. While Air traffic control have had 30 days off in the first 3 months of 2023.
Looking back towards Canada, they are 15 times more likely to strike than the US.

Perhaps you are trying to change the meaning of free spirited. I'm a European though, and they are as highly strung as we get. They had a 100 year war, and it would of been longer, had they not had a few years off. Probably on strike,

Legalcdn

Free Spirited?
I think obstinate. They are the most likely, in the world, to have a strike. I bet they are having one now.
Google: Thursday was the 12th day of some national strike. While Air traffic control have had 30 days off in the first 3 months of 2023.
Looking back towards Canada, they are 15 times more likely to strike than the US.

Perhaps you are trying to change the meaning of free spirited. I'm a European though, and they are as highly strung as we get. They had a 100 year war, and it would of been longer, had they not had a few years off. Probably on strike,
Are you talking about Quebec people? Have you been there?

I was born in Denmark and i have lived in a few European countries. There are lots of free-spirited people there, maybe not the UK? You can't generalize all European nations.

Strike? I have been caught in a few European strike actions.

I have also lived in the USA for some time. They have their issues just like everyone else.

Ca++

I thought you were talking of the French ^

It doesn't sound like much divides the two though.

Legalcdn

There is a divide, you are correct. There is a looming national strike in the tax department. Not too many people feel bad about delaying tax.

Back to cannabis, I would never live in Quebec if I could not grow.

Latest posts

Latest posts