What's new

Support For Those Trying to Lose Weight

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
Greetings ICMag peoples! I thought I would start a thread for those of us that are looking to lose a little, or a lot, of weight. It can be tough and without support, it's almost impossible. There are many reasons people put on weight..genetics, overeating, drinking too much beer, being inactive..whatever it is, it would be nice to have a thread where we can go to support others who are trying to lose some weight for whatever reason.

I myself have gained some weight over the summer. I hyper extended my knee in early June and was out of comission for nearly two months. I was at a slim and trim 195 lbs. before the accident and now I weight in at 225 lbs. I don't look like I'm very fat, but I am overweight, I just tend to carry it a little bit different and in different places. I started cutting back on carbs, exercising more often and longer and I even cut out the beers. Cutting out the beer was tough though because it's the fall seasonal brews that I enjoy the most. So far I've lost about 4 lbs. since I started my low carb/exercise plan 3 weeks ago.

I currently go hiking for about 45 minutes every day in the morning before I eat..in the evening after dinner, I do a short 15 minute exercise routine with light weights that involves some kicking, punching, push ups, sit ups and jumping jacks...before bed I usually do 10 to 15 minutes of yoga to help my flexibility.

My eating goes something like this: After hiking I drink a protein shake with 2 scoops (40 grams of protein, and only 8 carbs) along with some coffee and a green tea fat burner pill to increase the thermogenic side of things...lunch is usually 2 egg sandwiches with 2 slices of bread and some milk along with some sort of fruit and maybe some veggies. For a snack at around 4 PM I usually go for some yogurt and a big glass of water ( I drink water throughout the day though)..and for dinner, it's usually some meat for the protein along with some veggies. before bed I drink another protein shake with 2 scoops (just use water for both shakes though, not milk).

I'm going to get my weight back down to 195 again and I'm hoping it doesn't take all that long..last time I lost some weight, I lost 30 lbs in about 8 weeks.

Let's help each other acheive our goals with some motivational quotes and just some moral support.

peace

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sounds like you are on the right track! dont forget proper rest and make sure you take care of your knee,consider hiking pole if you are on rough terrain...lifes short,hike more!

We could all use some encouragement to get in shape. I'll join in and keep you company on this journey.
My ldl is at 153, so I've been advised by my doctor to begin an exercise and diet routine to lose weight.

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
hey bowlfinger, glad to have you aboard! When you look good you feel good and being in shape is one of those things that makes you feel terriffic!

I just got back from my daily hike and I feel awesome. I went on an empty stomach so as to get into my fat stores and burn some of that off..it's a good idea to exercise on an empty stomach because it does burn off fat and ramps up your metabolism pretty good too. A calorie burner thing I checked online says that hiking for 45 minutes burns over 400 calories..wow! and then there's the afterburn which keeps burning calories for a while too, not sure how long, but prolly an hour or so after you are done working out you're still burning calories which is good.

Bowlfinger, it's good to start off with just walking and eating less carbs when you begin. I also found that cutting out beer completely is a great move too, that is if you even drink.. Fiber is also good when you're trying to lose weight. Just cutting out beer for me really did the trick and I lost that 'bloat' that I had and excess water.

Good luck today BowlFinger!

Sleepy

Veteran
WHEN I WAS ON THE STERIODS, I WENT ALL THE WAY UP TO 230! I AM ONLY 5' 8" TALL...I LOOKED LIKE A SPHERE!

I AM NOW AT 170 LBS. AND STABLE.

oops sorry about the capital letters!

it took me about 4 years to shed the weight...i only eat once a day...sometimes no meals.

i was borderline diabetic and had hypertension.

since losing the extra ballast, i am not in danger of becoming a diabetic, and i take a very small dose of blood pressure medication daily.

next to quitting smoking, losing weight is just as hard.

i walk several miles per day while working...

eat less, exercise more.

the whole country is overweight.

good luck.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
heres another good tip...COOK YOUR OWN FOOD!! learn to cook from scratch,processed food is loaded with crap.and really look at how you use your car,i bet a lot of your trips are a mile or less,get out and walk instead!!

NPK

Good idea for a thread, HOPS5K, count me in. I've always struggled with my weight. Although it's under better control right now, I would like to drop some bodyfat by several percentage points and lower my body mass index. I've been working on that for awhile now. I eat clean--whole foods mostly cooked from scratch. Also take my dog out for runs and hikes three or four times a week, and lift weights in my home gym three days a week. Taking care of my health helps me control the stress in my life. The past few years have been really tough, the stress was seriously eating me alive. Exercise helps control the corrosive effects stress has.

Anyway...I've managed to drop about twelve pounds over the past eight months, and would like to drop five to eight more.

I hate to say it, but my marijuana use is bad both for my fitness goals and efforts to control my eating. I can definitely feel it when I'm running--but don't want to use a vaporizer because I like SMOKE, dammit! As for the eating, I don't keep junk food in the house, but excess calories are excess calories even in the form of fruit, cheese, and nuts. Hard for me to smoke and not munch on stuff.

At the beginning of summer I weighed in at 238 lbs. By just eliminating bad carbs,drinking only water and eating only certified organic meat and veg, I've managed to get down to 210.
My goal is to get to 190 @ 15% body fat( Hopefully).

I've yet to begin any type of exercise regimen, perhaps in the next week or so. I used to lift on a four day a week split with weekends off. Probably just start a three day a week 5x5 type of routine and go from there.

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
Well, it's Saturday and I feel pretty darn good right about now! I had a great Friday night and I did drink a few beers but they were well deserved. I know I should cut the beer out all together but those were the only beers I've had in weeks and boy they tasted great...Pumpkin Ale,mmm...it'll be another few weeks before I have a drink again though..gotta earn em' ya know.

I'm going hiking again today up to my usual spot...this place has a great view of the whole valley where I live and it's well worth the 20 minute hike to the top to see it all. I was gonna stop at the dispensary today for a gram of some bud but decided against it seeing as how I can't really afford it right now...but it's always good to hike up to the top of that mountain and burn down a nice spliff and enjoy the view...maybe some other time :)

My other goal for the day is to do some Yoga for flexibility and a clear mind..it helps relieve stress too.

I'm not sure if I've lost any weight this week, but I feel great and my clothes are fitting a little looser than normal so that's a good sign ;)

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Avoid chocolate, candy, sugar drinks, and the TV. take a walk twice a day (once in morning, once in evening). Get an active hobby (like outdoor veggie gardening), aim to expand your diet geographically and the healthy foodstuffs available will expand.. sushi is a good starting point since in contains few calories.

Occupy / feed the mind and the belly does not feel as hungry

Hope this helps

NPK

I took the hound out for a hike/run on a beautiful but steep trail, about 35-40 minutes of cardio. I can feel the effects of my habit, but still get the benefits of the exercise and feel better for hours afterward.

I weighed in at a little over 156 pounds this morning. That might not sound like much, but I'm only 5"4 and my bodyfat percentage is about 24 percent...too high! At one time it was as low as 17 percent. That's low for me; I felt really lean back then.

Anyway, my weight's down from about 170 back in February. I definitely feel better.

jgrow

life kicked my ass to the curb last fall, i was depressed the only good thing that came off it is i lost 60 pounds. I lost about forty of the said 60 before i started going to the gym three days a week. In total i have lost 70 pounds to date. Damn im still a little over weight. Probably should be at 165 and im at about 195. im 5'8

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
I'm starting to notice a difference in my mid section now. Some of the belly fat that had accumulated from all the beer drinking is really starting to shrink significantly.

I went on my hike today to the same place but took the alternate path and it was fantastic! It took close to an hour round trip and it was really cold and snowy but it was well worth it.

I'm also starting to see big difference in my legs now, too. They definately look thinner but I have added some muscle to them as well.

Good luck with your exercise regimens guys! stay the course because once you start to see results you can see the fruits of your labor.

Hey HOPS5K I dont know if this has been discussed and you seem to be happy with the rate at which you are losing weight. But for those who are having a harder time, Here are a few suggestion from someone who goes from 185 to 160 in four weeks. You ask why would I want to do that? I Fight and I have to make weight. So in the last couple year I found some very simple ways to cut weight and stay healthy.
1 cook your own food ( this way you know what you are eating ie. calories, sugar, carbs all that)
2 try replacing a meal with a fruit shake or if you need more energy a peanut butter one)
3 Dont eat before you sleep. Let your body digest before laying down
4 exercise after your evening meal
5 eat slowly you will find you can fit significantly less in your belly than eating quickly
These are some of my personal ways of losing weight fast without becoming unhealthy. I dont think they will work for everybody but they might help people find their own ways of staying healthy and fit

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
Those are some excellent tips Apicalmeristem! I will be using all of those for sure.

I just went on my daily hike and I feel great. It took a little over an hour today because I took my time on the trail and really soaked in the beauty of the outdoors and mother nature.

I have had a couple slip ups in the past two days though...I had a Pepsi on Tuesday and a Coke lastnight...that's quite a few carbs in those pops, like 41g carbs in one pop..jeez..but it's okay, I don't think I messed up too bad.

Sounds like your doing good on keeping the physical activity up there, HOP. Thats awesome. One of my favorite parts of walking is finding all the little details of the life going on around you, seeing mice scurry away at approaching footsteps, or the cry of a lone mother redtail hawk patrolling her territory. Walking really gives me time to appreciate the microcosms of life.
Mam oh man Hop, soda. The worst of all isn't even the carbs its the high fructose corn syrup. If your looking to drop weight soda is your worst enemy not only is it bad for you but the sugar actually causes minor insulin irregularities and stops your body from using its fat as a source of energy. So basically every time you drink a soda you stop your body from losing the weight you want to lose. Just a little heads up, we all have to cheat a little, it's just all about knowing what you can cheat with and what you can't

Latest posts

Latest posts