What's new

Super Sun 2 air cooled hood sealing

Hawk

The newer Super Sun 2's that have the hinged glass with the gasket running around the edge--how air tight are they? What I'm getting at is can you set one up so the intake duct for the hood just draws in fresh air from outside the cab without worrying about odors being drawn into the hood as the air gets sucked through? I'm designing a cabinet and it would be nice to know I didn't have to scrub the exhaust for the hood as long as its intake drew from outside the cab.

I'm sure someone has one of the newer SS2's.

super_sun2-250.jpg

Retardo Motabon

Seenyourmember:0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hawk this is the only air cooled hood that I haven't taped up to stop leaks. This is the best hood I have ever used. I've used at least a dozen different hood types. Hands down best pattern, small, tighter than others.

T

THCV

i just bought and installed 4 more, after testing 2 for a cycle. best hood ever. seal is perfect, way better than i was able to get with tape (damn heat!).

how do you guys tell that the hoods are air tight? when i look at the hood when its closed, the seal doesn't look flush to the hinged glass. it still looks like its leaking air. i was looking for some high temp weather stripping but i don't know where to get it.

T

THCV

if the seal has any leaks, it whistles like a mofo. Mine are hooked up to 8" vortexes, so there is a lot of air moving through.

Z

zoolander

Why did you have to post this? looks like I may have to buy 3 new hoods and my others are all newer LOL

clowntown

Veteran
I almost wanna trade in my DayStar AC's (also with hinged glass).

Is the seal / gasket made of rubber? The one that's on the DayStar AC is some ultra-cheap foam that crumbles apart and turns into dust which you'll later likely be cleaning off the glass.

The thing I love about these hinged glass hoods is that it makes glass cleaning really easy. And when things are easy, I'm more likely to do it more often.

Z

zoolander

Thats the problem I have Clowntown, mine are the six inch air cooled sun systems but not hinged and are wider than these but once you hook ducting up to them its a bitch to clean them and you know the rest of the story

thcv have to agree with you 100 percent traded all 3 of my sun system with 4 inch vents those needed to be sealed lke a mother plus they didnt cool as good.swicthed over six months ago best reflectors on the market hands down.

Retardo Motabon

Seenyourmember:0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I had a regular supersun going next to the ss2 and the leaks were really bad, mmm, vibrating glass how wonderful! Also the pattern wasn't very good. The ss2 has to have alot of pressure against the hinged glass just to set the hand screws. I've always used that heavy duty metal tape and taped around ducts, glass, everywhere, it works perfect. My SS2's have never had any tape on them and are pushed by an 8" vortex 6 feet to hood. :headbange

Oh one other thing, If you have ever plotted light intensity over a large space or over and over testing hoods, you know how much time it takes. Way back I had to plot for a 30' x 120' greenhouse it's very tedious. If I remember right a fellow IC'er did this for us and gave the ss2 a big thumbs up.
Hey Pico! :respect: thanks for the time, $, and data logging for us!

Last edited:
do you guys use just duct clamps to attach the ducting to the hood or duct tape or foil tape? i'm going to check my hoods tonight for whistling.

clowntown - i wanted to buy a daystar a/c to give a test run. is there anything you don't like about them? my hydro guy says the smooth finish gives off a stronger reflection while the bumps in the sun system II gives off a more even light distribution.

Last edited:

clowntown

Veteran
mikecar312 said:
i wanted to buy a daystar a/c to give a test run. is there anything you don't like about them?
Nothing particular, except for the foam lining bit which can be easily fixed by scraping it off and applying your own gasket. Also just looks a bit sleeker, but I don't know if that's a good reason. (I think the larger "shell" of the DayStar is actually advantageous to cooling.) And...

mikecar312 said:
my hydro guy says the smooth finish gives off a stronger reflection while the bumps in the sun system II gives off a more even light distribution.
I didn't know that. For some reason I like the highly specular, polished mirror-like look compared to the dull-ish look of the Hydrofarm reflectors inserts on the DayStar & Radiant.

So with a light mover, the DayStar should perform better in theory? :chin:

Last edited:

Hawk

Pico's test thread is what first turned me on to the SS2. Major props to him. That sort of comparative data is invaluable--especially when the alternative is a bunch of add-speak. Also, the SS2 size fits my small space. Many of the other hoods wouldn't.

I bought one of the SS2, went back the next weekend and bought 2 more of them. I'm going to pick up 3 more of them in a few months :joint: Love em!!!

clowntown said:
So with a light mover, the DayStar should perform better in theory? :chin:

thats what i was thinking as well! i don't know if his info is 100% correct, but i want to test it out. i have all my ss2 hoods on light movers. i'm definitely getting a daystar a/c to do a comparison.

i checked my hoods for leaks, i don't hear any whistling. but if i look close, there are holes by the corners of the hinged piece that holds the glass. i wonder if co2 can escape from there. i don't have a good camera yet so i can't take any pics. anyone have the same thing on their ss2?

Latest posts

Latest posts