What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Super smelly! Need help!

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hahaha you're great!
I love that style of growing indoors without a carbon filter. Balls out !
No but really you want that air filtered buddy.
2 plants of the right strain in full flower will stink your place up pretty good.
With a proper scrubber you can vent into the room, doesn't have to go out the window or something. Is there a door or anything separating your walk in closet from the rest of the house or is it open ? where's the next window? Does the door (if there is one) have slots for ventilation ?
Good luck!

CC

smokinowl

I have one window on the other side of the room. My closet is on the same wall as the door into the hall- think of my house as an L Laying flat on its face. My room is on the end of the l, and the closet is on the inside.

My room door isn't exactly airtight, and I only recently fixed a gaping hole in the door frame with duct tape- the doors in this side of the house are about 6 in too narrow, like they had to change plans last second to add rooms. My room was my grandmothers and she was in a wheelchair with severe Alzheimer's and we cared for her for about a decade before she died. Getting her to the bathroom meant a wheelchair and a wheelchair didn't fit. So we had to mutilate the door somewhat to make it fit lol.

I'll get a pic of my setup in a sec, I figure if you guys are nice enough to take time to reply and help y'all should at least see the girls. I have my dwc bucket running rn with one of the skunk seeds I have (SO many freebies, seedsman is a gr8 Seedbank if you ask me.)

smokinowl

I was also thinking of doing one of those ona gel buckets with the fan pulling air through in the corner next to the door. Smaller scale maybe half gallon bucket but my room is super small.

smokinowl

image__3__by_owletfluff-davzca6.jpg

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
lookin good in there.

What I was talking about before about plastic over the door:
If you get a sheet of thick plastic (black 6 mil from the hardware store will work and is cheap) that's just a little bigger than your closet door frame, you can use aluminum tape( doesn't dry out with heat like duct tape) to secure it to the wall and floor around the door frame on the inside of the closet. Its ok if the floor is carpeted and the seal is weak.

You can buy a zipper to tape onto the plastic for your door, but velcro is probably cheapest and easiest. Overlapping the plastic will help reduce light leaks so your plants don't get stressed out and throw bananas during flowering.

if you're using a 6" round exhaust, cut a 4"x4" square X in the plastic where you want your hole. You can push the ducting through and tape around it to create a seal.

For your intake, a simple square HEPA filter could work if you're keeping things cheap. Will help keep out some bugs and nasties in the air. It should be twice the size of your exhaust port.

Eventually though, you'll want to figure out something to eliminate light leaks before flowering. You can make a DIY light trap out of a lot of stuff for your intake.

There should be a couple tutorials for DIY carbon filters. Go in 'growroom designs and equipment' forum and, i think in the stickies, Pontiac's DIY linkorama, or something like that. Ultimately, you'll want to make sure your carbon bed is no less than 1" thick. 2-4" would be better. If using smaller fans or something that can't handle back pressure, you might experiment with doing 2-3 layers of 1-2" thick carbon, separated by small air gaps. I don't know if there's any science behind that, but it seemed to work for me in the past.

I know this is unsolicited advice and probably not wanted, but I think it'd be really cool if you took care of the smell effectively, and want to point you towards some tools to accomplish that, on the cheap, if you want to.

good luck smokinowl

troutman

Seed Whore
Be ready:

1. Keep a package of bacon and a frying pan ready.
  2. First sign of trouble.
  3. Start cooking the bacon.
  4. Police who enter will smell the bacon and totally forget what they are there for.

But honestly you need more than one Ona block.

Lots of good answers already in here.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I can not believe how cheap the filters are. I have been running without them. Can the metal ones be placed in the oven to recharge the carbon?? Think 250F is all that is needed.

I have heard it will release all the smell at once, but could do it in the middle of the night, during summer with attic fan running.

Any suggestions on sizing? Are there guidelines for square or cubic footage??

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I saw somewhere online where a guy just drilled a hole, dumped out all the carbon and refilled it.
Seal the hole and your good to go.

I have been researching, but like everything else, tons of conflicting information/opinions. Saw one person say 500F and others say over 1000F, which an oven will not do, but kiln will. Could fill with fresh activated carbon, but about 1/2 to 2/3 cost of filter.

Saw some say ozone from a generator will clean it, and run it next to the filter, but concerned if ozone is bad for plants.

Just looked at ozone generators, and says on front of unit "Use in unoccupied areas only".

troutman

Seed Whore
You don't want ozone near the plants or yourself. It's best used with the air being vented outside.

As for the carbon filter. Isn't 50% the cost of a new one by refilling it not better than buying one? I think so.

Trying to recharge carbon yourself isn't worth it in my opinion and nor as easy as it may sound.