What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Super Sativa Seed Club - Friesland Indica (M33)

3rdEye

Alchemical Botanist
Veteran
subbed for this one. SSSC group was full of some kind folks. Glad to see you preserving these.

corky1968

Veteran
I'm in the bermuda triangle now.

1. It's hot inside and low humidity.
  2. It's cool outside with lots of humidity.

You would think opening a large sliding door would help vent the heat while getting some needed humidity no doesn't work today.

Bermuda triangle I think.

If anyone can figure this out let me know. I hate seeing taco leaves.

All summer long I had no issues and in fall I have heat issues? WTF?

I may have to spray the wall and floor with water to bring the humidity up. :moon::moon::moon::moon::moon:

Mystic Funk

yup that's what I do when I need the humidity up and the heat down, start misting or leave a bucket of water out to evaporate off slowly.

peace!
-mystic

corky1968

Veteran
yup that's what I do when I need the humidity up and the heat down, start misting or leave a bucket of water out to evaporate off slowly.

peace!
-mystic

Another thing my digital ballast can output 50%, 75% and 100% power. I jumped the gun
too early on them babies with the 100%. So now for the next few days I'm back at 50%.
I did guess right though that the humidity was a big issue. Earlier today it dropped to 30%.

BTW: Until today I had no thermometer or hygrometer all year long.

Not all the plants were taco'd today as some waited in my bathroom to be transplanted
when I went out shopping. They have all been transplanted today after along day running
around 4 times. I'm very tired now. But I know the plants will live.

At 50% power at this moment the humidity is at 63% and the temp at 22C so that's pretty good.
I do have more seeds but don't want to start any more if I don't have to.

They are growing in anew tent that I'm just starting to get used to. it's my 1st official tent.
I just noticed earlier the 3 velcro windows at the bottom of the tent for extra ventilation.
They are open now and will remain so from now on. I bet had they been opened I may
not have suffered any problems today. You'll have to wait a while for new pics.

Sorry people I tried too hard to fast and have to learn not to push the envelope all the time.

Do know this grow is not over I promise. :tiphat:

LostTribe

Premium user
Another thing my digital ballast can output 50%, 75% and 100% power. I jumped the gun
too early on them babies with the 100%. So now for the next few days I'm back at 50%.
I did guess right though that the humidity was a big issue. Earlier today it dropped to 30%.

BTW: Until today I had no thermometer or hygrometer all year long.

Not all the plants were taco'd today as some waited in my bathroom to be transplanted
when I went out shopping. They have all been transplanted today after along day running
around 4 times. I'm very tired now. But I know the plants will live.

At 50% power at this moment the humidity is at 63% and the temp at 22C so that's pretty good.
I do have more seeds but don't want to start any more if I don't have to.

They are growing in anew tent that I'm just starting to get used to. it's my 1st official tent.
I just noticed earlier the 3 velcro windows at the bottom of the tent for extra ventilation.
They are open now and will remain so from now on. I bet had they been opened I may
not have suffered any problems today. You'll have to wait a while for new pics.

Sorry people I tried too hard to fast and have to learn not to push the envelope all the time.

Do know this grow is not over I promise. :tiphat:

how they doing?

corky1968

Veteran
Sorry for the delay people. The past few days have been very stressing in more ways than one. I've been very
busy shopping for growing supplies. I actually went on 4 different excursions in one day. Bad idea I know now.

My 1st shopping excursion was to purchase something I really needed. This Humiguide below which would tell
me the humidity level and the temperature which I suspected was giving me problems. I also bought 2 bags of
premium potting soil. I set up my Humiguide and left for my 2nd excursion of the day.

picture.php

During my 2nd excursion, I sent a rush package overseas to help a very good friend in need and no it didn't involved
cannabis in case your all wondering. Upon my return home within 20 minutes. I saw what was going wrong. The temp
was around 25 C. But the humidity was barely at 40%. This totally explains why my plants were growing very slow.
With a low humidity plant transpiration slows to a halt and the plant tries to retain valuable water. But if while this
happening you are watering like usual you risk overwatering your plants as I'm guilty as charged for doing just that.
Before I left for my 3rd excursion I pulled out my mini humidifier and set it to work.

The 3rd Shopping excursion was for getting 11 pots I need for the plants that needed to be transplanted and getting a
tiny amount of food nearby. Upon my return I noticed the humidity climbed to about 50% as a result of my tiny humidifier.
I was glad to see it there as anything in the 40% or lower range is way to low for proper vegetative growth.

By now it was getting very dark and this is where I made my mistake. :moon:

Earlier on during the day, my new tent door was unzipped all day long. This time I zipped it up and ran out for the last
and final time to get another 8' length of ducting to add to my existing piece attached to my 4" extraction inline fan to
move the warm air further away from the tent.

Sadly, I didn't turn up the fan high enough before leaving and the air wasn't extracting well enough now that the tent
was zipped up. Upon my return from my 4th and final shopping excursion I opened my tent door to see in horror that
my baby Friesland Indica plants looked like a tornado passed thru.

The little fan leaves were Taco'd of a good portion of the Friesland Indicas. :frown:

The only plus side is that I was in the middle of transplanting them when this
happened and some were still left in my bathroom. Those ones are fine luckily.

Here's a normal Friesland Indica that was safe in my bathroom when tornado happened.

picture.php

gorilla ganja

So the heat climbed and heat stressed them?
I don't see how these are any different from sativas as far as basic needs especially at this age?
Is this a new tent your still trying to dial in or do you find that they are so much different in there needs than the sativas that you are used to??

Peace GG

corky1968

Veteran
So the heat climbed and heat stressed them?
I don't see how these are any different from sativas as far as basic needs especially at this age?
Is this a new tent your still trying to dial in or do you find that they are so much different in there needs than the sativas that you are used to??

Peace GG

Hello Gorilla Ganja, I never really had it dialed in. :puppydoge

Yes, the heat stress + low humidity = taco'd leaves.

I was told what to do by a good friend yesterday after the fact.

i.e. I should have tested the new tent empty to see the weather conditions before growing in it.

The C. Golds I have now never showed any real stress. So yeah they can handle more heat being tropical plants I guess.

Don't despair the plants will recover and I'm writing that post after this one right now. :tiphat:

corky1968

Veteran
Sorry folks, the pics in this post won't be all that pretty.

I'm only posting this so maybe even one person can avoid what I went thru.

BTW: It's the first time I've experienced this Taco leaf thing and was very disappointed in making such
a mistake and will try as hell never to let it happen again. That all happened because my temperature
was too high with low humidity for about 90 minutes at most. I would hate to see what would have if
a person went to work for 8 hours.

It's also my 1st official grow tent with an extraction fan. So go easy please in spanking me. :mooning:

I even had returned with Ching Chong (aka Chinese food) and it took me well over 2 hours to even look at it.
All that running around getting supplies and being dead tired while losing my appetite because my babies got
beat up sucked big time. I'll never forget this mistake and do plan on beating it as well. To this I came
up with the only plausible idea to save the plants. I suspected those taco'd leave were fried to a crisp and so
they had to go but wasn't sure yet.

So I contacted one person who may know what to do and he confirmed my suspicions that those fried leaves
did have to go as they'll never recover now. As a matter of fact they'll lose more water and just like when your
cloning too much leaves are bad as the cutting wilts. So after catching my wind I pulled out my scissors and
began the mentally brutal duty of trimming away the Taco'd leaves. I noticed that most of the plants despite
being tiny has already developed bud leaves and they were healthy thankfully. Not exposed to the intense
bright light they survived. So the decision to save the damaged plants involved taking off the really fried
fan leaves to expose the still healthy bud leaves to get more light than before was something I kind of
have experience with.

i.e My Kerala Summer Grow.

I hope that the Friesland Indicas will react the same very way my Kerala plants did. Causing branches to grow
faster than ever because of leafing while helping in controlling the height of the plants. I strongly suspect that
if I didn't do this emergency leafing thing that the plants would die due to wasting too much energy on dying
leaves which are probably losing to much water. So like when a person takes clones they trim off the excess
leaves to allow the clone to live. So off the the really bad leaves came off.

I was going to do this anyway. But I wanted to wait until they were 12 inches before doing this leafing thing.
But I bet the plants would never have recovered had I did nothing now. So I removed at least one bad leaf
on all the affected plants.

I've circled where a fan leaf was cut in red. This will allow the bud leaves circled in blue to grow branches.
I know it's a drastic measure. But I had to because the fried fan leaves that I cut off will never get better
and they'll shade the bud leaves and in time the plants would have probably died. So by taking one leaf off
at least. Light will now hit the bud leaves thereby causing branches start growing.

Now here's the damage after the fact:

The circles in red represent where a Taco fried fan leaf was cut off.

The circles in blue is where the bud leaves are that will eventually make branches.

Trimmed Friesland Indica

picture.php

Trimmed Friesland Indica with very healthy bud leaves.

picture.php

This one will be trimmed dome more once those bud leaves make branches.

picture.php

Friesland Indica Group Shot last night after the trimming:

picture.php

gorilla ganja

Oh they will recover just fine don't worry.
Just let them use up the water in those pots. It doesn't hurt for them to go through a bit of a dry cycle.

I don't know if i agree with taking the leaves off at this point. Although I am a big believer in your overall method and have used it many times in the past.
I do feel that less than picture perfect leafs still contribute to the plants. They continue photosynthesis and the plant can still draw energy and nutrients from them. One trick I used to do when I did take the leafs off was to try and leave about 75% of the leaf stem. The plant will continue to draw sugar from it for several days as it drys up and can be picked off.

Having said that. Like you said they have other leafs and branches waiting to grow so they will be fine in a few days.

Good save. :yay: but please don't scare us like that again with precious seeds :toohot:

Ps. you can do a bit of a test. Some of the spots you took a leaf off is opposite a leaf you left on. Watch which side developes best.

Peace GG

LostTribe

Premium user
Sorry folks, the pics in this post won't be all that pretty.

I'm only posting this so maybe even one person can avoid what I went thru.

BTW: It's the first time I've experienced this Taco leaf thing and was very disappointed in making such
a mistake and will try as hell never to let it happen again. That all happened because my temperature
was too high with low humidity for about 90 minutes at most. I would hate to see what would have if
a person went to work for 8 hours.

It's also my 1st official grow tent with an extraction fan. So go easy please in spanking me. :mooning:

I even had returned with Ching Chong (aka Chinese food) and it took me well over 2 hours to even look at it.
All that running around getting supplies and being dead tired while losing my appetite because my babies got
beat up sucked big time. I'll never forget this mistake and do plan on beating it as well. To this I came
up with the only plausible idea to save the plants. I suspected those taco'd leave were fried to a crisp and so
they had to go but wasn't sure yet.

So I contacted one person who may know what to do and he confirmed my suspicions that those fried leaves
did have to go as they'll never recover now. As a matter of fact they'll lose more water and just like when your
cloning too much leaves are bad as the cutting wilts. So after catching my wind I pulled out my scissors and
began the mentally brutal duty of trimming away the Taco'd leaves. I noticed that most of the plants despite
being tiny has already developed bud leaves and they were healthy thankfully. Not exposed to the intense
bright light they survived. So the decision to save the damaged plants involved taking off the really fried
fan leaves to expose the still healthy bud leaves to get more light than before was something I kind of
have experience with.

i.e My Kerala Summer Grow.

I hope that the Friesland Indicas will react the same very way my Kerala plants did. Causing branches to grow
faster than ever because of leafing while helping in controlling the height of the plants. I strongly suspect that
if I didn't do this emergency leafing thing that the plants would die due to wasting too much energy on dying
leaves which are probably losing to much water. So like when a person takes clones they trim off the excess
leaves to allow the clone to live. So off the the really bad leaves came off.

I was going to do this anyway. But I wanted to wait until they were 12 inches before doing this leafing thing.
But I bet the plants would never have recovered had I did nothing now. So I removed at least one bad leaf
on all the affected plants.

I've circled where a fan leaf was cut in red. This will allow the bud leaves circled in blue to grow branches.
I know it's a drastic measure. But I had to because the fried fan leaves that I cut off will never get better
and they'll shade the bud leaves and in time the plants would have probably died. So by taking one leaf off
at least. Light will now hit the bud leaves thereby causing branches start growing.

Now here's the damage after the fact:

The circles in red represent where a Taco fried fan leaf was cut off.

The circles in blue is where the bud leaves are that will eventually make branches.

Trimmed Friesland Indica

View Image

Trimmed Friesland Indica with very healthy bud leaves.

View Image

This one will be trimmed dome more once those bud leaves make branches.

View Image

Friesland Indica Group Shot last night after the trimming:

View Image

Those look very nice so far! How old were the beans and how did you germ?

Acquitted

You said your grow tent was next to a bathroom? Humidity and temp are easy to control then; with this fickle weather down here I take really long hot showers. Give the dogs long hot showers, 3 times a day for me.

:shucks:

It'll work for a quick fix until more control on the environment is devised and set in action. I also like the bonding and quality time with them. Lol.

corky1968

Veteran
You said your grow tent was next to a bathroom? Humidity and temp are easy to control then; with this fickle weather down here I take really long hot showers. Give the dogs long hot showers, 3 times a day for me.

:shucks:

It'll work for a quick fix until more control on the environment is devised and set in action. I also like the bonding and quality time with them. Lol.

I bet your dogs are happy pups. :biggrin:

Do they take bubblebaths as well? LOLZ

Acquitted

Lol, sometimes they do. I'm definitely not doing my part to conserve water. And my water bill is more outrageous than my electric so....

corky1968

Veteran
Lol, sometimes they do. I'm definitely not doing my part to conserve water. And my water bill is more outrageous than my electric so....

I think you better get a humidifier instead. You'll save on water at least.
I have a tiny one now. Mine takes an hour or two to raise the humidity
an extra 10-15% higher than ambient. I only thought of using it it after
I bought that humiguide (hygrometer and thermometer combo) this week.

About that and more:

My air temp is a stable 25C and the humidity is at 50-60% now. I'm happy now and so are my plants.

Seeing my plants need extra support I added a gallon jar fermenter into my tent. One way I know that
a person can really make their plants grow faster and be able to tolerate a little more heat is if they
can increase their CO2 levels.

Look at the speed a plant can grow with more carbon dioxide. :woohoo:

co2.jpg

From here:

Carbon Dioxide Enrichment Methods

So since I bought all kind of supplies to make moonshine and vodka this Spring and am not using them now.
This is a good use for them I think. If I ferment even the corn sugar (dextrose) that I purchased with the
wine yeast packets I have along with yeast nutrients. The carbon dioxide level in my place will now jump
dramatically causing the plants to grow faster than before as much as 2X. It's took less than 1/2 an hour
and it started fermenting.

C6H12O6 = dextrose

C6H12O6 → 2 C2H5OH + 2 CO2

I also bought a small propane canister for my potable single burner
camping stove yesterday and I just used it for a few minutes already.

When propane burns using oxygen it creates.

C3H8 = propane
C3H8 + 5O2 → 3CO2 + 4H2O

Everything is produces will help me since I can use the extra water vapor also.

Of course, I won't do this for long periods of times. Just a few minutes at a time.
Maybe once or twice a day as a supplement only to the dextrose fermentation.

In time the plants will convert the CO2 into plant matter and O2.

LostTribe

Premium user
I think you better get a humidifier instead. You'll save on water at least.
I have a tiny one now. Mine takes an hour or two to raise the humidity
an extra 10-15% higher than ambient. I only thought of using it it after
I bought that humiguide (hygrometer and thermometer combo) this week.

About that and more:

My air temp is a stable 25C and the humidity is at 50-60% now. I'm happy now and so are my plants.

Seeing my plants need extra support I added a gallon jar fermenter into my tent. One way I know that
a person can really make their plants grow faster and be able to tolerate a little more heat is if they
can increase their CO2 levels.

Look at the speed a plant can grow with more carbon dioxide. :woohoo:

View Image

From here:

Carbon Dioxide Enrichment Methods

So since I bought all kind of supplies to make moonshine and vodka this Spring and am not using them now.
This is a good use for them I think. If I ferment even the corn sugar (dextrose) that I purchased with the
wine yeast packets I have along with yeast nutrients. The carbon dioxide level in my place will now jump
dramatically causing the plants to grow faster than before as much as 2X. It's took less than 1/2 an hour
and it started fermenting.

C6H12O6 = dextrose

C6H12O6 → 2 C2H5OH + 2 CO2

I also bought a small propane canister for my potable single burner
camping stove yesterday and I just used it for a few minutes already.

When propane burns using oxygen it creates.

C3H8 = propane
C3H8 + 5O2 → 3CO2 + 4H2O

Everything is produces will help me since I can use the extra water vapor also.

Of course, I won't do this for long periods of times. Just a few minutes at a time.
Maybe once or twice a day as a supplement only to the dextrose fermentation.

In time the plants will convert the CO2 into plant matter and O2.

I used bottled co2 when I was just starting out a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. I no longer use co2 but if I did it would be in cold weather and a portable propane water heater I think they are for showers.....it work out as water cooled if you hook them up to a recirc pump and rez. Plus propane is more readily available and cheaper.

corky1968

Veteran
I'm using the fermentation method for now because I have everything to do it and it's an easy process.
I don't plan on doing this for fermentation for long. Propane purchased in large tanks is for sure more efficient.

Galaxy far away? I knew you were from outer space. :biggrin:

OldSSSCGuy

I ran the Friesland a few times "back in the day" and still have about 20 or so beans in original packaging. It was a nice strain but nothing we thought was superlative. People were using it as a cross for all manner of indi-sat hybrids but settled on Afghani strains for better consistency.

Please don't take this wrong but it really seems you are over-thinking things. The 90 minute heat spike is nothing to fear, they will recover and sluff it off in short order. After selling hydro gear for maybe 15 years I learned that CO2 is rarely needed, and is beneficial only when everything else is 100% balanced. Fresh air is all that is needed and if in doubt - take a look at any healthy outdoor plant to be reminded whether Mother Nature needed a CO2 boost to grow. Again, PLEASE do not take this wrong but most of the people who put big bucks in CO2 enrichment gave it up over time as being a complete pain in the ass, potentially dangerous on a few levels, and mainly just did not get the growth boost which warranted all that detail attention and money.

Instead, why not run them as happy little plants and know that if they can - they will grow just fine without massive attention. Run them a time or two and learn the strain; then decide if there is any value in turbo charging.

Nothing but props for you running a legend strain.

Latest posts

Latest posts