What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Super-Noob needing HPS ballast help

anonamix

I just picked up a 400w ballast and bulb. I know NOTHING about wiring. Im wondering how to get this to be plug-in cabable.

I just have a heavy metal box with wires, a white tube, and smaller black tube. I'm not sure what I need to do to make this thing have a plug in and a socket. Any help in lamens would great. any links or vids that would be a good start?

Thanks in advance

intotheunknown

Veteran
sorry. im not understanding what youre trying to say whatsoever. are you basically saying that someone has cut the plug off and youre wanting to know how to wire a new plug on, so youre able to plug it into the wall outlet? or so you can plug the hood/bulb socket into your ballast?
pictures?

anonamix

This is pretty much what I have..
http://www.1000bulbs.com/400-Watt-High-Pressure-Sodium/39226/

I'll take a pic later. But yeah i see no wall/outlet plug. I see wires labeld 120v, 240v ect.. but they seem to need hardwired into somthing. I would like to wire it so its able to plug into 120v, so i can plug it thru my timer.

I also dont see a socket for the bulb. Do i need to buy a socket and wire it to the ballast?

I probably should of saved up 3 times as much and bought a compact ballast.
Oh well, Im eager to get this working if its possible. Any help is appreciated.
I'll take some pics soon

doppey

Just looks like it's the ballast on it's own, you'll need a ceramic bulb holder at the very least and unless your just going to hang it vertically you'll need a reflector/bulb mounting aswell.

You will need a 5 kv mogul socket, 15-20 feet of 16/3 SO romex cable, some wirenuts and some electrical tape. Then, to be safe, you need a metal or heavy plastic box to put it all in. And I've uploaded a picture of how it goes together. Get that stuff and come here and ask questions BEFORE you plug it in. These bare ballasts WILL kill you if you don't know what you are doing.

stagehand

boroboro

I would recommend sticking with a metal box to put it all in, and not plastic. Might find an electrical junction box big enough, but a cheap and easy metal box to find is a mailbox. Worked OK for my 400W ballast, after I drilled a few ventilation holes.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Obviously NOT a complete wiring diagram, rather than hardwire the ballast and hood together, I cut a 14 gauge 3 wire ext cord in half and wired it so they could plug into each other.

Latest posts

Latest posts