What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Super expensive LED's vs cheaper LED's?

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
I will be taking advantage of removing the driver and hanging it outside of my tent. By this time next year I plan on adding another tent and using my current tent as a veg tent. I'm currently in a 2x4 and will be upgrading to a 4x4 for flower.
Now I have to figure out which light I want to use in it.
Congratulations you are about to upgrade your setup:flowers2:, do you already have some intentions? What are your requirements for the new lights?

Dankdude

A figment of your imagination
Mentor
I'm thinking a around a 600 watt LED, 6" fan and carbon filter set up.
I'm gonna keep my 2x4 set up for veg and clones.

Ca++

A 2x4 should feed a 4x4 nicely.

How many mentors do we have? 200 posts in 17 years, must be some quality advice.

Ca++

If you are interested, you can take a look at our FC/FC-E6500, they are suitable for 4*4 planting areas, and have received many excellent feedbacks.
www.mars-hydro.com/fc-6500-samsung-lm301b-commercial-led-grow-light
Looks like a lot of light, and with the current offer, It wouldn't make sense to go cheaper. It's physical size advantage over the small light, gives it a nicer spread and you could perhaps run it around 75% and get some years out of it.

As a buyer, we should be aware that a 301 is a 0.2w LED. It can be pushed to 0.5w but won't work as well, or as long. Nearly all lights are doing this. Running whatever LED they get, at full power, rather than the rated power where specs like umol/j and lifespan are established. If a manufacturer doesn't thrash them at maximum power, rather than rated power, they generally talk of the diode count used. Leaving us to work how much they are thrashing them still, because it won't be 0.2w a piece. It's not all doom and gloom though. Max is allowed, if we accept some de-rating, and use enough cooling. This is why we always buy a light that is too big, then run it lower. Often, we are talking physically bigger also, like here, where the 4800 actually has enough light, but it's physical size has the middle 3x brighter than the corners. It's not HID levels of hump, but feeding demands follow lighting to a good degree. The extra 100 sheets, buys twice the light, and the middle is only 40% brighter than the corners, not 300%. It's just physically bigger. Which also brings bigger heartsinks, for LEDs you wouldn't thrash so hard. It's full of win, for 20% more outlay.

Brother Nature

I got into LED's by learning how to build my own, back when COB's were the latest and greatest 'plant tech'. Where I live getting branded stuff shipped can be super expensive, so unless I wanted to pay big bucks, I wasn't getting any of the top quality setups you saw on the forums in those days, so I learned how to build them, from resources on this very site. If it weren't for uptake in local manufacturing of LED's I'd still be making my own due to the sheer cost difference. I also found it super helpful to actually learn the basics of the tech behind them so now it's a lot easier to figure out the bullshit from the real shit. It's still cost effective to build your own, but companies like Mars, Spider Farms, etc... will give you a warranty and if you're in a large market the cost is not what it used to be, plus professional packaging always looks better in the photos ;).

BABY Z

I got into LED's by learning how to build my own, back when COB's were the latest and greatest 'plant tech'. Where I live getting branded stuff shipped can be super expensive, so unless I wanted to pay big bucks, I wasn't getting any of the top quality setups you saw on the forums in those days, so I learned how to build them, from resources on this very site. If it weren't for uptake in local manufacturing of LED's I'd still be making my own due to the sheer cost difference. I also found it super helpful to actually learn the basics of the tech behind them so now it's a lot easier to figure out the bullshit from the real shit. It's still cost effective to build your own, but companies like Mars, Spider Farms, etc... will give you a warranty and if you're in a large market the cost is not what it used to be, plus professional packaging always looks better in the photos ;).
Scusa brother natura,ma saresti in grado tu di costruirtene uno tipo FC o fce6500 a quel costo se non meno.......solo per capire il livello di difficoltà😌🤔😉

Dankdude

A figment of your imagination
Mentor
Marshydro, I looked into that light and may consider it in the future, but I'm going through some medical issues right now and have to concentrate on getting things back on track. Once I get all the diagnosis finished and the solutions preformed and myself recovered I'll be back on track for my planned upgrades.
Right now I'm running all Marshydro equipment and am satisfied with the performance.

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
Thank you our friend, we wish you all the best and start your own plan soon. Health always comes first.:huggy:

mountainoutlaw

I been doing this a while and Ill give you some great advice, always spend money and go for top quality when buying 1). Work boots 2). Any tool that you use for your craft or that makes you money.

Dont skimp on your lights. My lights are always where I spend the most. Ive ran all kinds of leds, COB, sammy bars, quatum boards..name brand, amazon, custom built ect......dont skimp on your golden goose.

HLG great service, great designs
Atrium lighting, good quality builds
Rapid LED, badass kits, badass lights
Timber Grow lights
Chilled Logic (my fav,)

Affordable and still quality........
AC infiniti lights , affordable and quality
New MARSHYDRO designs look solid
And believe it or not...AGLEX, good light for the mobey.

I personally settled on the Growcraft ChilledLogic. Yes very pricey, but the build and quality is unmatched. Airplane grade aluminum, lightweight, made usa, rapid and intelligent customer service, DIY kits so you can save money, all commercial builds have a big warranty, samsung 301h and meanwell drivers with potentiator....i can go from 33 watts to 330 watts in small increments (hook into kill-a-watt) on the x330 model. best light Ive ever ran.