What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

super cropping to increase yield??

So I know super cropping effectively controls growth but i've been reading that some people feel that it increases yeilds ,potency and over all plant health. Anybody experience any increase in yeild or potency as a direct aftermath of super cropping?

I wouldn't say it increases the gardens yield; however it makes each plant capable of being grown larger and therefore increase the yield you can achieve from a single plant rather then the garden as a whole. It lets the plant(s) bush out horizontally allowing you to grow a even canopy, which utilizes the light better, which can make the tops larger. It also lets you keep plant #'s down (great for medical growers).

I like to do a combo of topping main shoots and lollypopping the lower sucker shoots 1 week before flipping 12/12 to get the right shape from my plants. The top buds grow large and the lower buds are not popcorn buds = less trimming time. Saves me hours... No joke!!!

Supercropping adds more veg time to do it properly.
Plants are usually much larger so less plant #'s are required.
It doesn't increase potency.
The main tops grow larger.

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
I am super cropping just so I am able to grow a landrace sativa in my closet.

early_bird

Veteran
Last days - Small Grow Room with 4 Female Seeds C99 Plants. One branch partly disrupted where it connects to the main stem. I thought this is going to die, but recovered.
Now this Bud is huge and massive !!!
Nearly as twice as big than all the other buds, even much bigger than main bud.

Supercropping seems to increse yield on this plant on a very signifficant level :)

(sorry if it´s not perfect written, english is not my mouther tongue).

40shades

I have super cropped many times and it def increased the yield in the varietys I've grown,as It helps even out the canopy and the light distribution giving better light penetration to the plant.also where the plant is pinched it forms a hard knott giving more rigidity to the branch also pinching the branch breaks the nutrient transport vessels inside the branch and forces them to rebuild in a much more efficient structure for nutrient transport this could be attributed to the observed increase in overall vigour.

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
Super cropping allows the control of the canopy and thickens up the canopy with multiple heads filling any dead space. It allows for a new nutrient transport highway which contributes to more vigorous growth (IMO), The increase in yield is usually due to the multiple heads filling in the dead space. Although it takes longer in veg stage, it helps with legal grows to stay within plant limits and increase yield per square foot.

this stuff had been discussed to death 10-20 years ago! for Christs sake there is a detailed description of these techniques and what to expect from them in every grow book in the bookstore! not to mention the thousands of online sources for this, extremely common, and in no way advanced, grow method...it is nothing new, special, or magical...

standard plants grow as a Christmas tree, outdoors, this is the most efficient shape for many, if not most, plants in most areas, which is why many plants tend to grow with a Christmas tree-like structure. supercropping just means you are cutting the top nodes off to encourage more side branches to grow upward...this is better for indoor growing...

for efficient indoor growing you want all the branches reaching the same height, you achieve this with lst and "supercropping" or, since this really isn't anything special "topping and training" would be more appropriate terminology...a plant left to grow natural indoors has one top that reaches 2-4 times higher than the side buds, resulting in tiny side buds and one huge main bud, training a plant for indoor growth results in no top buds and lots of medium sized side buds.

i reject the terminology "super cropping" and "low stress training", outright. they are nothing more than buzz words, made popular by stoners, that give newbe's the impression that there is some kind of magic to these techniques that will make a plant product more than it's root system will allow or of some magical higher potency...all it does is confuse...all you are doing is topping a plant and tying it down, do you hear about backyard gardeners "supercropping" their cucumber patch? no? they top and train the same as we do...but it's not "super" if it's not pot?

i see pot growing legitimizing very quickly, and the botanical terms already in existence will be adopted for use with this plant, as we should be doing already, and rejecting confusing terms like "supercropping" that frankly sound ridiculous to growers of other crops who top and train their plants daily without the need to coin a dumb term for it or to convince people it may have some mysterious power to overclock your plants...

myiqis55

Ummm supercropping is not topping the plant. Its when you forcibly break one of the stem sidewalls. It forms a nuckle to repair itself. This creates many benefits such as a thicker stem that can transport more and support more weight, while also training the plant. If you want to get fancy you can go back and pop the nuckle and it will keep getting bigger.

Maybe go reread those books but certainly don't write short essays full of falsehoods

watts

ohms
Veteran
Super cropping works great in my experience but do you only suppose to super crop the main stem and not the side branches?

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
this stuff had been discussed to death 10-20 years ago! for Christs sake there is a detailed description of these techniques and what to expect from them in every grow book in the bookstore! not to mention the thousands of online sources for this, extremely common, and in no way advanced, grow method...it is nothing new, special, or magical...

Well then...you better get reading.

dddaver

Veteran
I think I'm doing it wrong or maybe misunderstand it. I pinch the main stem, and not before after the 3rd set of leaves, until I feel it crack a little, sometimes enough so the plant juice leeks. Other than stressing the plant and lengthening veg I haven't seen this wonderful branching. I think it must also be strain dependent for effectiveness too. Currently I have a Sweet Skunk girl in flower. Other than the two fat knuckles from where I pinched she just has one big bud on top other than some smaller buds at some branches. I tied her down too. Some girls just seem to like bondage more than others too I think, just like human types do ;-)

But I have had that problem of pinching doing nothing much other than stressing the plants when growing out other strains too. My pinching technique needs work I guess. (That's what SHE said. :biggrin:)

Trend

Super cropping is an art. It can stunt plants and stall/lengthen bloom phase. It can increase yields as much as co2 if not more. If you're pinching you are doing it wrong in my experience.

dddaver

Veteran
Super cropping is an art. It can stunt plants and stall/lengthen bloom phase. It can increase yields as much as co2 if not more. If you're pinching you are doing it wrong in my experience.

See, I thought pinching was super-cropping. Maybe you could elaborate? Please enlighten me with your apparent expertise.

prune

Veteran

My compliments on your understanding of the force...:tiphat:

myiqis55

I think I'm doing it wrong or maybe misunderstand it. I pinch the main stem, and not before after the 3rd set of leaves, until I feel it crack a little, sometimes enough so the plant juice leeks. Other than stressing the plant and lengthening veg I haven't seen this wonderful branching. I think it must also be strain dependent for effectiveness too. Currently I have a Sweet Skunk girl in flower. Other than the two fat knuckles from where I pinched she just has one big bud on top other than some smaller buds at some branches. I tied her down too. Some girls just seem to like bondage more than others too I think, just like human types do ;-)

But I have had that problem of pinching doing nothing much other than stressing the plants when growing out other strains too. My pinching technique needs work I guess. (That's what SHE said. :biggrin:)

Try topping it once or twice before you pinch or attempt the supercrop. It will work better. I don't do it much anymore but when I do I top a couple times then snap the outside wall in the outward direction. The branches then grow out with the lower nodes growing up

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^I find it increases yield in a small space because it inhibits vertical growth witch keeps inter node stacking closer. meaning you can fit more bud sites per square meter.