What's new

Super-Charge Yor Growing with Aeroponics !!

Closet Gro-mo

aeroponics

aeroponics

this style of hydro is very impressive, i am currently procuring needed materials to build a setup just like yours, only mine will be about half the size. awesome grow. the only thing that scares me is the nutes. how do you know how much to use, and what kind is best? is it just trial and error? well anyways, like i said, very impressive, your a pro dude, happy growing

Hyperversial

Like what I'm seeing here guys, but I read NASA also did research into aero, so I was thinking if this can be automated so the grower only has to change the water and transplace the new plants t2t. But as of today I did not 'solve' the salt problem. I was thinking of making 2 alternate pump larger cycles that pump the anti-salt solution followed by soft water at the end trough and shuts off so the flow of nutrient water can continue. If there is an easier solution I really like to know. I think with tech aero is possible, but it does not stop there. With your dimensions at specific interval, how long does it takes before you have to clean those specific filters? Thanks for the info

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow, a trip down memory lane. IME, without being able to properly control humidity, room temps and rez temps, I did not see any substantial yield over simple F & D. However, I have modified (tweaked) F & D using many HPA techniques

Drop by my various threads to see it in action, one is Hail Hydro

dankstar

Ahoy Pirate!!!

Ahoy Pirate!!!

Hey Pirate,

I too am growing in aero (low pressure) after transitioning from soil. I do like the results. Still have some kinks to work out, I have yet to master the hydro concepts floating around the web.

When I have a chance to change my nutes to run Lucas's formula I hope to try out your designs.

Thanks for all the info and pics. Truly inspiring stuff.

:)

HappyDayz

Tech questions on diy aero

Tech questions on diy aero

Pirate,

1. On 3x3 the flood and drain method for resevour is 25 gallons, so what do we need for a 3x3 low pressure aero? Could we get away with 10 gallons or run 2 tables off of 20-25 gallons? Or do we need the 25 gal res? (Lol, I don't have any of the above)

2. Also less nutes, how and why does that work? Is that because of use of less water?

3. My favorite is when the power goes out, you never mentioned what to do? Yeah I get power bumps and outages every now and then, but seems all to frequent.

4. Clean up, how do you clean up system? Do you run h202 through the system? Your inline filter, do you have 2 clean one and have a backup to switcb instead of rushing? Just a thought so you don't rush between nute sprays.

I am all too familiar with these gh rainforests, the guy who reccended them to me, was a 35 year grower out of Humboldt, said to use and understand how to grow. The res changes blow, but I don't expect it to be easy, just leave one tray empty and drop a pump in and pump out nutes.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey guys, this thread is a HIGH Pressure Aeroponics thread.

LPA (low pressure aero) is a very poor method, as it leaves the roots too wet, which causes long spaghetti string roots that lack the tiny root hairs that make HPA special

Not being able to control the temps in the root chamber means little or no root hairs.

I found a happy medium using frequent feedings in a DIY F & D set up that i developed. It is easily expandable for tables, if the tables walls are tall enough

Drop by my threads to learn more

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
this style of hydro is very impressive, i am currently procuring needed materials to build a setup just like yours, only mine will be about half the size. awesome grow. the only thing that scares me is the nutes. how do you know how much to use, and what kind is best? is it just trial and error? well anyways, like i said, very impressive, your a pro dude, happy growing

When I was doing HPA, I used both Dutch Master Gold, and later switched to Hydroponic Research V + B.

I am still using HR V+B for veg (mostly because I have 2 pounds left, and it is pretty awesome FOR VEG), but for flower I am now using Emerald Harvest 2 part bloom formula

If doing HPA, you need to cut way back on strength as the roots are being fed every 3-5 minutes

Check the recommended strength, then cut back ~ 50%

With EH mixing chart for veg 2 -8 ml/g of water depending on age of plant for normal hydro methods, you need to start low and watch closely for HPA

hth

O

OG Tree Grower

Pet flora - lo pressure areo is very effective IF set up right. I have a lot of experience with both hp and lp areo

What most ppl call lo pressure areo is actually nft in my opnion.

All you want/need is 100% rh in the bucket. You can accomplish this in two ways.

1-Put your pump on a timer 1 min on 3-5 min off
2- super saturate your res with o2, using your sprayers in the res works awesome. But then sprayer placement is very important as you don't want to spray the roots directly , they will gather water and again make it nft and cord roots . You must place your sprayer above the roots and make the spray hit the bucket and not the roots. That ensures tons of fine hair roots and no cord roots.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pet flora - lo pressure areo is very effective IF set up right. I have a lot of experience with both hp and lp areo

What most ppl call lo pressure areo is actually nft in my opnion.

All you want/need is 100% rh in the bucket. You can accomplish this in two ways.

1-Put your pump on a timer 1 min on 3-5 min off
2- super saturate your res with o2, using your sprayers in the res works awesome. But then sprayer placement is very important as you don't want to spray the roots directly , they will gather water and again make it nft and cord roots . You must place your sprayer above the roots and make the spray hit the bucket and not the roots. That ensures tons of fine hair roots and no cord roots.

I have seen quite a few lp roots, none looked like these in my super simple DIY bubble bucket, but then most lp growers sprinkle way too long

View attachment 365056

O

OG Tree Grower

Freedom buckets 2.0, week 4 veg. The Brown tint is from b-1, it goes away after the weekly flush. There is a top mister you can't see and another one on the other side. No air pump anywhere in the system.

O

OG Tree Grower

Sorry I lied that was week 5 right before the flip. Roots are way to big to take a pict of now but in 6 weeks I'll add a crazy root pict here

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Freedom buckets 2.0, week 4 veg. The Brown tint is from b-1, it goes away after the weekly flush. There is a top mister you can't see and another one on the other side. No air pump anywhere in the system.https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=67627&pictureid=1606873View Image https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=67627&pictureid=1606872View Image

They look a bazillion times better than most lpa, but note how my roots are all up against the net pot where yours are mostly well below, meaning you only have a few feeder roots

O

OG Tree Grower

Flora- yours are tight against the basket cause you grew In a table, I grew Ina bucket so gravity makes it look that way, maybe you didn't see all the feeder roots coming out the side of the bucket? The other side looks the same. If I showed you a pict of today they would be tight up against the basket like yours, in fact I will for sure at chop. I'm just not risking root damage to lift a 6 foot plant for a picture

I've done many side by side experiments with hp and lp buckets. Also hp tables, growth rates are pretty much matched with hp areo. Like I said it's all about 100% rh in the bucket, not who has the most expensive unreliable high pressure system.

Much respect pet flora, I enjoy your threads, just trying to show you Lpa does work well if tweaked. The kits hydro stores sell are nft not Lpa so there a poor example and your right they do suck.

Last edited:
I wonder how well this same setup would yield if you ditched LPA and replaced it with HPA. I'm thinking 4 .008 misters or damn near foggers at that point per 3X3 with a nice industrial 300 psi pump from a company like aeromist. You could fill that entire tray in less than 2sec.

O

OG Tree Grower

I have done it and it works very well, it just creates other complications for me ,and how I do things. it's just not worth the extra hassle. But your right it works very well

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wonder how well this same setup would yield if you ditched LPA and replaced it with HPA. I'm thinking 4 .008 misters or damn near foggers at that point per 3X3 with a nice industrial 300 psi pump from a company like aeromist. You could fill that entire tray in less than 2sec.

LPA sucks. To improve it you need to run hpa feed/pause cycles. None do, so they get soggy stringy roots prone to root rot, and various root diseases

I have done it and it works very well, it just creates other complications for me ,and how I do things. it's just not worth the extra hassle. But your right it works very well

How do you grow? IMO this method would benefit hugely from HPA purely on design ease. 4 HPA sprayers could fill a 3X3 in seconds with far less plumbing and BS. Not to mention it's a superior feeding method.

LPA sucks. To improve it you need to run hpa feed/pause cycles. None do, so they get soggy stringy roots prone to root rot, and various root diseases

This. A simple humidity meter in this setup could tell you exactly when it's time to fire the pump back up. You could have it dialed in, in less than a day. Purchasing a quality pump and cleaning your sprayers once a week is the key to success.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztk6EZ1zg84

Case in point here. John uses two tables stacked on top of each other for the additional room for root growth. He is using HPA on these tables with .008 nozzles. However he is using a 1000psi pump. I am Duplicating this system but struggling to make a decision if I want to spend the money on stacking trays or just go with the 7" tray with a top. Anyone think that extra 7" is THAT beneficial?