What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sun position dropping too fast to finish flower?

sprinkl

Veteran
For next year, know that at both 21 march and 21 september the day/nights are 12/12 so the shadows should fall the same on those days. If you have a strain that finishes a month later than sept 21, look where the sun shines on 21 february. There are also apps for your smartphone with which you can follow the trajectory of the sun on different time/dates.

Betterhaff

Veteran
For next year, know that at both 21 march and 21 september the day/nights are 12/12 so the shadows should fall the same on those days.
This is not necessarily true because of the way the sun tracks (or more correctly the axis of the earth in relation to its orbit of the sun). Day length times may be similar but the position of the sun and shadows may not. This also depends on latitude. Not picking on you sprinkl.

The best thing to do is make observations of where the sun is on these dates (or shadows).

sprinkl

Veteran
That is good to know, I was doubting for a minute when I posted but figured it couldn't be a big difference if there was any, now I want to find out more about it :)
Also had a discussion with a friend a couple of days ago whether seasons were because of the earth axis not being 'parallel' to its trajectory or because the trajectory around the sun is not a circle. We were a bit too stoned to really get to the bottom of it :p

Betterhaff

Veteran
It may not be a big difference but may have an impact if dealing with structures, as in the OP’s situation, or other obstacles ie trees, etc.

Here’s a Wiki entry for sun path. I know, Wiki, but it does shed some light on the topic.

"The solar noon shadows of objects on points beyond and below subsolar points will point towards true north and true south respectively only when the solar declination has its maximum positive (δ☉ = +23°26') or maximum negative (δ☉ = −23°26') value. On the other hand, on the equinoxes when the sun is neither declined north nor south (δ☉ = 0°) and solar time noon shadows point NNW north of the equator and SSE south of the equator on the vernal equinox (and point NNE north of the equator and SSW south of the equator on the autumnal equinox)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_path

boomboom4200

I just went through the same thing, plant was outside in all day sun, sun up till sun down from like mid april. Plant got HUGE,. come late September it was getting about an hour of direct sun a day, ended up cutting it a couple weeks early just lighter fluffier flowers, 11 jars worth, man, if this thing made it all the way through it would have been a beast

indirect sun isn't ideal, but it works

Latest posts

Latest posts