What's new

Summer 2019, Tasmania Takes it on the Chin

St. Phatty

From the relative comfort of a heated home in winter, I am watching all hell break lose in Tasmania.

You know, that big island southeast of Australia.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...-has-arrived-while-those-in-power-laugh-at-us

Where I live, we have Dry Lightning all the time.

In recorded history, that wasn't true for Tasmania. Until the last 15 years.

Now Tasmania has dry lightning. Summer Temps 3 degrees C higher than normal. Ground fuels as dry as possible, in the 0 to 5% moisture range.

Pretty close to a worst case.

Most of the articles on the subject use the term Climate Change.

I'm not interested in debating that (unless it's for $$$).

The parts that can't be debated -
* Southern Hemisphere CO2 levels are about 3 ppm higher than last year, into the 410+ ppm range, on their way to 420 ppm.
* Fire behavior in Tasmania ... 2019 is a very difficult year.

If I was a weather scientist, one thing I would want to know very badly is, what combination of weather conditions would bring Dry Lightning to Middle & Southern California ?

We already have dry lightning in Oregon. How that works is, every time it is really hot for 5 days, by about the 6th day there will be rain, with Dry Lightning, in the summer. And that will start that year's fire season.

I was going to put this in "Well Wishes" but I figure it will inevitably get political & argumentative.

Pictures - Aussie pol making fun of Climate Change, passing lump of coal around Parliament.

attachment.php

Mauna Loa, Hawaii, CO2 measurements
mlo_one_week.png

Attachments

• aussie-pol.jpg
    aussie-pol.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 26

Latest posts

Latest posts