What's new

Sulfur burners don't work?

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Burning sulphur is a pretty stupid method for getting rid of powdery mildew - to say the least.

It's barely effective and smells like all get out.

Much better ways of dealing with powdery mildew - to say the least.

CC

keep RH down try to hit 30% and If your that far in to flower the only thing you can do is spray your plants once every day with just plan water a ph of 7.0. PM can not grow at that Ph, Spray 1 hour b4 lights come on very very fine mist.

At the end of flower if you have any PM on your buds spray some 3% h2o2 on them,It will kill all the PM but it will allso cause Oxidation and turn all the pistils brown.

JBM

Burning sulphur is a pretty stupid method for getting rid of powdery mildew - to say the least.

It's barely effective and smells like all get out.

Much better ways of dealing with powdery mildew - to say the least.

CC

And if you were growing a lot of weed, you would.... ? I pray you don't say spray neem. Nobody wants to spray neem 8 hours a day.

DarkLance

Sulpher burner 3x and neem 3x for 1 week

I've read combining oil & sulfur will burn leaves...

plan water a ph of 7.0. PM can not grow at that Ph

water will wet down the spores and cause them to run off and not fly about.

in order to stop spores from being made I believe you need a more alkaline solution, pH to 8.0 or mix in a bit of Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) or even better potassium bicarbonate. Add a bit of of neem or other horticulture oil and you have a product that will beat or match most on the market.

Milk, as Clackamas Coot suggested, is also rumored to work, though I would venture that this is only a function of higher pH and some lipids to make it stick to the leaves.

In order for the sulfur burning to work, you need to interrupt the spawning cycle of the PM. 72 hours from what I have read. so you need to burn a minimum of every three days, and maintain this until the PM has died out. I do not know the length of time required for this, so I would do it for at least 2 weeks, if not a month.

Also, you need to check the burn temp of your sulfur. Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) is best vaporized at 140-190C (~300F), and >400C. so you need to stick a thermometer in there and check. The lower range is ideal as less pollutants are released and the powdered sulfur will last longer.

While high humidity will encourage PM growth; low light, moderate humidity (>40%) and organic material are all that is needed for spawning to begin.

...non of these things will work unless your enviro conditions are monitored and kept in check...

BINGO

headiez247

shut the fuck up Donny
Veteran
I've read combining oil & sulfur will burn leaves...

This is true. The instructions on all sulfer burners explicitly state that you can't use a sulfer burner within 30 days of spraying anything that has oil in it (which any anti PM spray has).

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
I use Bayer "Exact"... I've had PM twice and one dose of this stuff has fixed it both times, no fuss, no question.

(http://www.bayergarden.nl/SCGARDENB...ByID/PLIN-5C3J7Q?OpenDocument&nav=MSIN-5ASD74) sorry its in Dutch, but maybe you can find product description in english

edit - I came here as I was considering getting a sulfur burner for a spidermite issue that I could not seem to shake off, (used all kind of products) but recenty I got plant vitality plus from B.A.C and actually it seems to have done the job... after reading this, I'm glad I didnt get the burner just yet :)

hazy

Veteran
I sure don't know what you mean when you say Greencure 'burnt' your pistils. I spray Greencure on my plants pretty much daily. I don't spray buds directly very often. PM always hits leaves and leaf stems first. Keep it in check and it rarely gets to the small bud leaves. But it will, if you don't check every surface and look down at the tops of the small bud leaves for it hiding.
Obviously the sulfur is the way to go for a big grow though. too much hunting otherwise. Follow Greyskull's advice on the burner and you'll get it under control.

eyeswideopen

I'm about to use a sulfur burner for the first time. I have it on a timer to come on for 3 hours at lights out. Then I set my exhaust fans to kick back on two hours after the burner shuts down. My exhaust is directed into a different area of my house though, not outside or in an attic. After the burner shuts off and the sulfur settles for a couple hours is this safe? Should I let it settle longer? Or do I need to mess with my exhaust for the nights when this thing burns? I read it's toxic, so at what point is it okay to exhaust with my current set-up?

Also I read another really old thread to turn off oscillating fans, but others have said to keep them on and mix it up - can anyone speak to this?

Last edited:
I use one every grow, as a preventative. I run it about once a week, for 4 hrs at night, no fans, no exhaust. I quit using it the last couple weeks of flower. I go into my grow room right before lights off and shut off the A/C, swamp cooler, all fans, and unplug the exhaust. The Sulfur Burner is on a timer, comes on about 30 minutes after lights out. I go into my grow in the morning when the lights come on and turn on everything I unplugged or turned off the night before. If I am spraying for bugs with anything, oil based or not, I don't spray for at least 4 days after or before I run the burner. I also shut off the lights in my mother plant area because one time I totally fried my mothers because the sulfur vapor seeped into the mother room.
My 2 cents, good luck!

B00420

Just to throw in my 2 cents...

In my rooms I have had the winter wonderland a few times...I never cleaned my room though in between...I just went with the sulphur preventative and it works great....and I have a larger room than you do and only burn it for about 90 minutes a night.

I only do it the first 3 weeks of flower for 8+ week strains and 2 weeks for faster strains so I never taste any on the buds. I never use it in veg except on my mamas, cause only my mama room gets that humid during veg.

Anyways...I never get any PM this way, you just have to use it as a preventative....burning sulphur changes the PH of the leaf so PM cannot grow on it...

mk6

I had PM bad twice in to consecutive grows I tried all the best products, spent lots of money and cleaned my space bleached the walls and painted them, and still got the shit back!! finaly I was going break down and buy a burner till I came across Pirate's Diy sulpher bunrer and bought some ellemental sulpher at the local hp store and have completly rid myself of pm for good....

my space is 12x12x10, (everthing is on timmers) the lights/fans everything goes off, and 20 mins later the burner starts - I use a reptile heat emmitter, not a bulb and get no light spilage)

the first time I ran it, was every night for 2 hours w/ 2 tpls, but now that its under controll, I run it for 2 hours 3 nights a week for the first 4 weeks then unplug it.

eyeswideopen

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I built mine similar to the one in that thread, but also with a reptile lamp. Really simple, just one coffee can, one soup can, a piece of a coat hanger, some plumbers tape, and a socket. It's on now, and leaking from somewhere, but just barely, it's nasty though. I ran it with my oscillating fans on because I wasn't sure and I think next time I'll keep them off. Thanks again.