What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sucrashield Biochemical Insecticide/Miticide

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
Anyone using it?

W0rmsw@y has it for $24/pt

SucraShield is a biochemical insecticide/miticide for use against the soft-bodied
insects listed on this label, similar insect types, mites and thrips. It is primarily
a contact insecticide with limited residual activity.

Do not apply this product through any type of irrigation system.
• Apply as soon as infestation begins.
• Use in sufficient water to achieve adequate coverage.
Repeat applications, as necessary, at intervals of 7 - 10 days, to maintain
control.

• Thorough spray coverage of plant foliage, including the undersides of leaves,
is essential for good control of the pest.
• Apply up to and including day of harvest.

Its main ingredient is Sucrose Octanoate Esters (a-D-Glucopyranosyl - ß-D-fructofuranosyl -octanoate), mono-, di-, and triesters of sucrose octanoate 40.0% (I believe ive read this is sugar ester of the tobacco plant, but im not even sure what that means.)

I think it says us at .8-1.0%. The label is not exactly user friendly (Sucrashield label.pdf).

It says 100 gal. (378.5 liters) ---- 1.0% v/v ---- 1 gallon (3.8 liters)

So i think thats 37.8mL/Gal, for a 1% field application (maybe my math is off. I got it at 10mL/l and then 3.78l/Gal). It also says:

Apply this product with ground spray equipment. Do not apply this product
through any type of irrigation system.

Personal Protective Equipment (PPE):

hmm. well i dont like following orders... And i need it as a substrate drench... I am experimenting with 4 plants, a recirculating reservoir, and a @1mL/Gal soil drench.

Last edited:
I have used surca-shield before, I was not impressed with the results. Did not affect mite/gnats at all. I now use SM90 by Nutrilife.
However, it does battle tissue fungus (leaf or stem) quite well.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
lol.. well i use sm90 for its surfactant properties. It certainly doesnt eliminate gnats, or prevent thrips, or whatever larva i have floating in my tanks. It might help keep gnat populations down to a tolerable level.

How did you use it, and what application rate?

UPDATE. Well no (ill) effects so far. FWIW its about 10Gal of coco (already moist), with about 5gal of nutrients and 5mL of SS.

(am i the only one who posts from the growroom?)

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ive used sucrashield as a foliar (dosed per the label) to fight off some insects....

i didnt feel like it 'worked' as a few days later i went and got/dropped a p bomb and that wiped out the fliers i had

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
the label sucks imho. I think there may be two labels, because i think ive seen a different version online. Mine says USDA Organic (but it had a sticker placed over it).

O yeah i wanted to add, i can still smell it in in reservoir. IDK how scientific this next thought is, but i think i could probably drop the dosage based on this observation. (Its been recirculating for about an hour now). The smell at 1mL/Gal wasnt very strong anyway; it smells more like an insecticide than sugar; I would guesstimate a 25-35% drop in smell. All of these thoughts based on a 'contact insect killer'.

Greyskull

ICMag Donor
Veteran
hahaha
its not my favorite label, either
when i go back by the house ill check out the bottle/label and post up whats on it (might just be an image if thats okay)

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
UPDATE!

I only ran the recirculating pump for about an hour. A day later, (maybe 28 hours) The 4 plants look unaffected (maybe perkier), and I dont smell it in the reservoir anymore. I like that fact a lot. IDK, I think Ive read the product breaks down into sugars; i expected it to still smell like insecticide.

As for results, well... i didnt see any critters in these coco containers anyway, so nothing to report other than 1mL/Gal was not lethal. The (aerated) reservoir did foam slightly, but not with any real volume, and the bubbles didnt gain height.

Im running 4 seed lines right now, (looking for keepers) so ive got plenty of containers. I tend to notice the swimming critters in the run off off the beer cup clones, Ill see if they are still swimming after i apply sucrashield to the whole garden.

Greyskull

ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah i didnt find it very effective for me either...