What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Substitute for Blood meal + Bone meal?

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Cottonseed meal (5-2-1) though a source for nitrogen also has a side benefit in that it has properties which encourage the growth of fungai in the soil which is a good thing for the root system and later in the flower cycle.

HTH

CC

false

be carefull using alfalfa meal . i tried it last year and the deer loved it . they ate all the bags that had alfalfa in them !

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
just wondering but why is everyone using fresh material in there outdoor grows and planting right away. mix a few months earlier and let it sit covered so it cant get dug up, within a few weeks of composting it will no longer be wanted by any animals other than soil organisms. AND your soil will be better and more ready for your plants too. i have problems with deer and anything out there that will eat a fresh material as by the time its getting ready to flower time most of the local vegetation is DEAD and the animals are hungry (wouldn't you be too?). few weeks of composting and never ever had a problem, only improved results.

NickMode

Wow i feel like anything i use will attract animals. Blood + Bone = raccoons
alfalfa = deer.

and i didnt really have the luxury to scout for spots so early on in the year. Well i did, but wasnt thinking, and now i have to hurry up and dig holes to put my plants in.

Also it will be 1 month before i put my plants in any holes, will 1 month of composting be enough to make raccoons and other animals not want to dig up my plants?

NickMode

Well ive decided what i will be using. I will use

Luscious Corn Gluten 9-0-0 for N (Plants will be about a month old) (Also is says the corn glutten is slow release, is this something i dont want?)
Rock phosphate for P
And kelp meal for K

Also would anyone know off the top of their head about how many cups per cu. ft for each?

Last edited:

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
jaykush said:
just wondering but why is everyone using fresh material in there outdoor grows and planting right away. mix a few months earlier and let it sit covered so it cant get dug up, within a few weeks of composting it will no longer be wanted by any animals other than soil organisms. AND your soil will be better and more ready for your plants too. i have problems with deer and anything out there that will eat a fresh material as by the time its getting ready to flower time most of the local vegetation is DEAD and the animals are hungry (wouldn't you be too?). few weeks of composting and never ever had a problem, only improved results.

I was thinking the same thing, I used to mix mine a few weeks ahead in the grow hole and cover it with a tarp then topsoil for cover, never had critters dig em up.

S

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
Very Good point Jay!

Very Good point Jay!

It's -very- important ta let these amendments cook in yer soil. Alfalfa meal fer instance breaks down in the soil so fast from microbal activity it will heat the soil, the same way a compost pile heats up. Roots can't take that. Then there's things like cottonseed meal and bloodmeal that are acidic and will drop yer ph ina hurry. Many organic amendments will take yer ph off one way er another as far as that goes.... Jus pointing out a few examples here..... Let mother nature do her thing for awhile so the ph can balance itself out before puttin yer plants in it..... I would also like ta point out that useing super phosphate will do the microherd more harm than good. It overwhelms it and they OD. My 2 cents. Good luck! Take care...BC

floral

Curious about how long ground up deer antlers might take to be composted enough to not get dug up by pests. I have never used slaughterhouse ingredients but through a guy who sells shed elk and deer antlers for dog chews I have a little bit of shed antler dust that I was considering adding to a soil mix that's brewing. Was planning to cook the soil for another month at least. Will animals still be curious about the antler meal after a month? If so I'll just cycle it through the worm bin instead.

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
I know they don't last long once shed because squirrels,possums,and porcupines eat them for the calcium as soon as they find the sheds....not sure if the material the horn is made of breaks down at the rate bone does or what...seems softer.

Can't hurt...I'd run it through the worms or compost before utilizing in a soil mix myself.

Bound to be more 'organic' than any mass produced 'meat farm mammalian bone meal' product.

...as for what replacements...I use fish bonemeal and fish meal.

floral

Thanks. I've steered clear of slaughterhouse and overfishing industry products so had no way to gauge how much trouble antler meal might cause, and whether it would be worthwhile for the benefits. I bet the worms will enjoy it.

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
Thanks. I've steered clear of slaughterhouse and overfishing industry products so had no way to gauge how much trouble antler meal might cause, and whether it would be worthwhile for the benefits. I bet the worms will enjoy it.

I'm just not sure if it is has a different molecular tissue structure than regular skeletal bone to determine breakdown rates in soil,anyone?.....but I'm sure it's fine considering it's simply a wild harvested material.

Granger2

Veteran
Another good N source, also K, is nutritional yeast flakes [inactive yeast]. Contains B vitamins. Good luck. -granger

Latest posts

Latest posts