What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Subdrool's Super Soil

budman678

I come from the land where the oceans freeze
Veteran
SUP BUDMAN....YOU GOT ME CURIOUS...AM USING THE VERTICLE.COCO/PERLITE, KISS METHOD PLUS GUANO TWICE IN FLOWER....AND ITS KEEPS GETN BETTER.....
AM GONNA MIX UP PHILLTHYS VERSION.... FFOF,PROMIX,BONE,BLOOD,LIME...DATS IT AND IF YOU LOOK AT HIS THREADS...HE IS KILLIN IT....YOUR GROW LOOKD PRETTY AWESOME TOO......GONNA USE SOME AUTOMATED WATERING SYSTEM WITH THE SUPER SOIL MIX.....NAME IT THE "CRUISE CONTROL METHOD"...DJ

i wish i had more perlite in my mix.

i love the bone and blood meal...

philthy def knows what he is doing. i prolly dont NEED everything that i put in my mix, but i will learn and it will improve.

im a a convert now. 100%. i will never use bottles again. this is much much easier. you simply need the forethought to make and properly mix/cook you soil. that is all

thanks DJ. you have helped me a lot in my journey. one of the first to reach out here and i thank you....what a difference a year makes

Granger2

Veteran
I'm growing organically in coco. Now my noggin's abuzz thinking about some kind of coco version of this. Like maybe just using coco or coco80%/perlite20% for the base soil. Any ideas. Maybe add a bit of perlite to the SS? Thanks, Budman. -granger

SupraSPL

I added a little kelp and a little alfalfa meal.

i am SOLD. I am not starting this thread to say that this recipe is superior. More that, it had a "low barrier to entry" and allowed me to give up bottled nutes forever.

I agree. The recipe is not perfect but it is a huge improvement over bottled nutes. Especially when it comes to cost.

If I was going to nitpick I'd change:
-too high levels of P (I'd scrap the rock phosphate for starters)
-too high levels of epsom salts and dolomite lime
-too high overall fertility (many plants finish green and some burn)
-too low ratio of K (you added kelp good call)

The base soil is Roots Organic which is already strong enough on its own to finish some plants water-only. If we shoot for a lower salt level, we would not need to layer the super soil. It is easier to veg up in the same pot you will be flowering in IMHO.

Clones go into 2-4L pots of base soil. Once they are established ~2 weeks I go right into 16L of the hot stuff and continue vegging for ~3-4 weeks before the flip. I veg em up big and then chop out the underbrush. Makes for bigger nugs and much easier trimming.

This way it uses up some N so plants don't finish green leafy and fluffy. It seems to speed up the flowering process a bit and improve flavor. Smoke is clean and tastes good even before it has had a chance to cure.

TGA Spacedawg 53 days - recycled soil water only

budman678

Veteran
i will def be using LESS supersoil in each pot...i would rather get early fade and suppliment with teas than not have em fade at all....

been the easiest grow i have done thus...

thanks for the tweaks/suggestions SupraSPL

H

hope2toke

I'm growing organically in coco. Now my noggin's abuzz thinking about some kind of coco version of this. Like maybe just using coco or coco80%/perlite20% for the base soil. Any ideas. Maybe add a bit of perlite to the SS? Thanks, Budman. -granger

yeah, root organic soil contains coco. I use it to similar ti peat except it has lower cation exchange capacity (about 20-30 percent less) than peat

Nice ooking plant sOP RIGT ON!

budman678

Veteran
I will be chopping tomorrow and plan on doing an update with photos. I will also update after a two month cure. Can't freakin wait.

I have another 32 gallon trash can full of SS that is ready. I just dropped off two cans last night to folks with at are gonna becoming their first round of plants in SS. Pretty exciting times guys.

S

swisscheese

Funny I came across this thread today as I was considering dipping my feet into making my own organic soils after I finish up my bubba crop. I was watching videos on youtube too and it might be dirt time for me I'm sick of shitty ph meters.

al-k-mist

Great thread
The cooking, per se, is just allowing it to compost(the generated heat is why they call it cooking)
I dont know about the blood and bone meal. Ive used them on a ss, but now, think it can be done w just plants and ewc, no industrial slaughter waste, plus them cowz are fed all kinds of shit that I dont think should end up in MEDICINE. Many things persist in compost, like pesticides.
I am going to embark on a hella supersoil for the spring greenhouse grow, with help from others. And may even make some, like 3 batches with small variations, or one giant batch(not giant, but a few yards of medium) and a few others small, maybe even coco.
I liked reading everyone elses opinions too

Hello, hope2toke, whats up, dude

budman678

Veteran
I chopped my tent last night. I'm on vacay with the wife but when I get back pics will be had

NoClue

I am sorry for jumping in all of a sudden. By your experience guys, how much perlite you add to the super soil mix ? I come from Europe and all the measurements gave lots of efforts hehe, i just can't seem to get the data I want anywhere.

It figures it's mostly done by feeling and experience, when you have none of that and just want to make a ss how much would you generally add to it ?? :D

Many thanks

I know this thread is old, but thanks for the discussion. It has helped me understand a lot. I have been researching this soil for a couple days and reading posts. I am a noob and am soon going to take the plunge into organic, indoor gardening. You have to start somewhere and from what I am reading this is a good place to start. Soil composition and soil life is interesting and I enjoyed everyone's dialogue. Thank you.

al-k-mist

My first ammended stuff was...sub-fools soil. (not MY name for him)
The just add water results were great
next one was cootz's recipe from another site, and i used the measurement of peat written on the bag, so it was a peat-heavy mix. Amazing medicine. did that a couple times, fucked up ammending some down to earth soil, which has a ton of wood products in it, or i over ammended. a problem with leaves falling off in flower, even sugar leaves, but it was bomb.
this past run was mixed using cc formula with alaska peat. bomb, but a bit light and fluffy/airy, at least the vanilla.
now mixing 2 more yards, i hope, to make 12 yards of soil.

me too, fuck bottled nutrients from weed nute companies.
i do use some bottles, like fulvic acid, silica, neem, aloe vera, and ...somethin else...but will never buy soil again
as a matter of fact, these are going to be permanent no till beds.
good luck, have a grate day

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
i will def be using LESS supersoil in each pot...i would rather get early fade and suppliment with teas than not have em fade at all....
That's what I like to hear. :)

As someone who's super sensitive to excess nutes in their cannabis... it makes my heart happy to hear of an organic grower looking for the fade. :) (I've listened to 10 years of "Organics don't need a flush/fade" rhetoric)

Looking forward to the days when "organic" is universally "Good(tm)"... thanks for doing your part :)

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

budman678

Veteran
I know this thread is old, but thanks for the discussion. It has helped me understand a lot. I have been researching this soil for a couple days and reading posts. I am a noob and am soon going to take the plunge into organic, indoor gardening. You have to start somewhere and from what I am reading this is a good place to start. Soil composition and soil life is interesting and I enjoyed everyone's dialogue. Thank you.

this thread isnt that old. i love seeing threads from the past pop up. especially when it comes to amended soil that helps growers produce cleaner, better tasting, just add water organic cannabis. i will never go back...words of wisdom, less is more. i personally love my plants to FADE...i like em colorful, stinky and just ripe as shit....if you think would have a fat sativa heavy feeder and she need 60% SS...give her 40% and supplement with EWC teas

My first ammended stuff was...sub-fools soil. (not MY name for him)
The just add water results were great
next one was cootz's recipe from another site, and i used the measurement of peat written on the bag, so it was a peat-heavy mix. Amazing medicine. did that a couple times, fucked up ammending some down to earth soil, which has a ton of wood products in it, or i over ammended. a problem with leaves falling off in flower, even sugar leaves, but it was bomb.
this past run was mixed using cc formula with alaska peat. bomb, but a bit light and fluffy/airy, at least the vanilla.
now mixing 2 more yards, i hope, to make 12 yards of soil.

me too, fuck bottled nutrients from weed nute companies.
i do use some bottles, like fulvic acid, silica, neem, aloe vera, and ...somethin else...but will never buy soil again
as a matter of fact, these are going to be permanent no till beds.
good luck, have a grate day

i have a can in the shed that is cooking as we speak...should be enough SS for about 20 (5) gall geopots....which is enough for 3-4 runs for me....its unreal that people buy these packs of bottles and this and that...i keep a bottle of earth juice catalyst and some calmag on hand....i havent used either in a long time...ewc and succanat teas are all i need

That's what I like to hear. :)

As someone who's super sensitive to excess nutes in their cannabis... it makes my heart happy to hear of an organic grower looking for the fade. :) (I've listened to 10 years of "Organics don't need a flush/fade" rhetoric)

Looking forward to the days when "organic" is universally "Good(tm)"... thanks for doing your part :)

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

every organic grower i know strives for a fade, i know one person that strives for green plants bc he thinks its healthy...he equates yellowing/coloring with deficiencies...i have tried my hardest to educate, he is slowing coming around....for a ten week strain, i like a fade to start around 6-7... senescence is my scene

HolloGram

has anything changed in your mix and how much kelp and alfalfa meal do you use one more what is your tea recipe thanks for the thread and the help

Neo 420

Veteran
every organic grower i know strives for a fade, i know one person that strives for green plants bc he thinks its healthy...he equates yellowing/coloring with deficiencies...i have tried my hardest to educate, he is slowing coming around....for a ten week strain, i like a fade to start around 6-7... senescence is my scene

I respectfully disagree. Every organic farmer I know does not strive for fade. No organic land farmers strive for fade. I have never seen anything remotely close in organic standard that promotes or encourages fades.. Except in the land of canna farming...

Senescence has more to do with the lifecycle of the plant coming to end. (there is a debate over environmental influences) With most plants (particularly annuals) there is a programmed senescence.

budman678

Veteran
I respectfully disagree. Every organic farmer I know does not strive for fade. No organic land farmers strive for fade. I have never seen anything remotely close in organic standard that promotes or encourages fades.. Except in the land of canna farming...

Senescence has more to do with the lifecycle of the plant coming to end. (there is a debate over environmental influences) With most plants (particularly annuals) there is a programmed senescence.

What do you disagree on? We are talking cannabis brother, not watermelons :dance013:

I believe in senescence and think that it's just as important to the process. The trick is to not fade too soon. In regards to it being an environmental factor, I agree, by cutting off the nutes you mimic cold weather/changing of the seasons. Growing cannabis indoors is about trying to replicate the outdoors.

yes, and in outdoor settings nute's aren't added throughout the plants cycle. Nature doesn't "stockpile" the exact amount of nutrients needed to produce a fades several weeks before the plants senesce. they wild cannabis would theoretically thrive in areas with natural peak fertility, meaning the highest levels of available minerals. I'm not trying to argue, but when Hydro growers come into the organic section slanging their terminologies and we are agreeing about how the plants "should be" based on these terms i start to get jittery

Latest posts

Latest posts