What's new

Subculture M - Glomus Mushrooms

spurr

Veteran
not Glomus genus (AM fungi), or any endomycorrhizal fungi; they are fungi imperfecti. Could be ectomycorrhizal but i doubt it, I doubt the mushrooms came from subculture. I think it from spores already in your media depending upon what you use, do you add in any EWC or compost, leaf mould, etc?

MrFista

Veteran
LOL - spurr is correct. I got my endo/ectos mixed up AGAIN.

Fungi classification is changing so fast with genetic sequencing I respectfully take a back seat till they've duked it out. Too many changes, waste of time learning the classifications till it settles down imo.

Thanks for clarification spurr.

The fungi might have come from subculture, they're common in potting mixes whatever they are.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
These are not AM (endo)mycorrhizal (to the best of my knowledge). As your wiki encyclopedia thing says they are obligate symbiots, meaning they grow only with roots of plants. As far as I know arbuscular endomycorrhizae do not form fruiting bodies.

Spurr is correct, although they may not be fungi imperfecti and could be basidiomycota or ascomycota.

To claim you have AM infection, the roots need to be examined microscopically for infection, from my understanding.

Slow down everybody. Don't be too fast to jump on a band wagon without checking it out first.