What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stupid question about American Football

Sweatloaf

I know little about American Football and I have a question about touchdowns:

My understanding is that a touchdown counts if the football "crosses the plane" and that's all that counts. Would the following count as a touchdown? If not, why not?

A player has possession of the ball and runs up to (but not past the goal line) and then...stops, extends his hand with the ball in it and "breaks the plane"...but still just stands just outside the end zone and other than the ball, his hand and arm...he never steps into the end zone himself. Would that count as a TD?

Along these same lines, if he extends the ball into the end zone across the goal line (breaking the plane), stands there for a second to clearly show that the ball made it into the end zone then drops the ball or sets it down in the end zone and walks away toward the field or sideline (never walking into the end zone himself), is that a TD? If not, why not?

buzzmobile

Veteran
I know little about American Football and I have a question about touchdowns:

My understanding is that a touchdown counts if the football "crosses the plane" and that's all that counts. Would the following count as a touchdown? If not, why not?

A player has possession of the ball and runs up to (but not past the goal line) and then...stops, extends his hand with the ball in it and "breaks the plane"...but still just stands just outside the end zone and other than the ball, his hand and arm...he never steps into the end zone himself. Would that count as a TD?

Along these same lines, if he extends the ball into the end zone across the goal line (breaking the plane), stands there for a second to clearly show that the ball made it into the end zone then drops the ball or sets it down in the end zone and walks away toward the field or sideline (never walking into the end zone himself), is that a TD? If not, why not?
That was not a stupid question, @Sweatloaf

Nannymouse

Back in the really olden daze, i thought there must have been a very illiterate person that invented the game. How the hell does anyone understand a game that takes up to four downs to get a first down?

I would rather watch Sumo wrestling. Serious. The rules are easier to learn and the game doesn't take eons.

Sweatloaf

Thanks for the responses.

I wonder if it'd be considered a form of showboating and maybe fined if a player had possession of the ball and was in one of those rare instances where there were no defensive players around him at the goal line and he purposely stood just outside the goal line, reached across the goal line with the ball in hand (ball breaks the plane) long enough to clearly show he has possession (rather than fumbling or losing possession of the ball)...and then purposely drops the ball in the end zone and walks away? Has that ever actually been done?

buzzmobile

Veteran
Thanks for the responses.

I wonder if it'd be considered a form of showboating and maybe fined if a player had possession of the ball and was in one of those rare instances where there were no defensive players around him at the goal line and he purposely stood just outside the goal line, reached across the goal line with the ball in hand (ball breaks the plane) long enough to clearly show he has possession (rather than fumbling or losing possession of the ball)...and then purposely drops the ball in the end zone and walks away? Has that ever actually been done?
It's possible that could be a penalty called Unsportsmanlike Conduct, but it would not negate the touchdown. If the penalty is called the 15 yards would be assessed before the kickoff.

I don't know if that has ever been done.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
purposely drops the ball in the end zone and walks away?
a couple of guys last year got too cute and dropped the ball as they crossed the goal line, and it was ruled a fumble because they didn't have it in their hands as it crossed the line. morons...i'd like to see them start negating touchdowns for some of these ignorant "celebrations" you see these days...JMHO much of that shit should be regarded as "taunting" and is not needed in an already pretty violent sport. pull points off of the board and coaches will stop it PDQ.