What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey

Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey

• Miesha Tate

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Ronda Rousey

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Holy fuck am I bummed out. Not since Shogun vs Jones have I been in this much post fight dread. That was easily tied for the worst armbar I've ever seen, plus it was broken twice with Meisha fighting with a broken arm. Fuck this , I'm hitting the vodka...

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Awesome fight, Ronda Rousey surprised me, she really is damn good at judo. Beautiful Armbar.

and Meisha Tate is a fucking beast... she put up a hell of a fight and went out on her shield.

a few good fights tonight..

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
No surprise Rousey won, she's a savage.

What is wrong with that ref? Sketchy as hell he let that armbar go on as long as he did. Tate is a tough chick but that ref didn't do his job correctly.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
What is wrong with that ref? Sketchy as hell he let that armbar go on as long as he did. Tate is a tough chick but that ref didn't do his job correctly.

i disagree completely.. The ref's job is to step in if the fighter can no longer defend him/herself. This often happens when a fight is finished by strikes because the person getting hit cannot let down their guard long enough to tap out and end the match themselves.

Getting caught in an armbar (or any submission), however, is different. The fighter can easily tap out and if they don't then it is their choice. The ref should step in only when the submission hold has been completed and the fight cannot go on

Any other way is unfair to both fighters. Imagine how many last-minute armbar escapes would have never happened if the ref had jumped in.

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
Watched the Gracie breakdown, huh? That was their take on it almost verbatim.

Just to be clear, it's a difficult job and often thankless. And no ref wants to be on either side of this issue, whether it's stopping a fight prematurely or waiting too long. The good ones just know when to do it and it's obviously not a cut and dry situation.

That said, I respectfully disagree with your idea of what the ref's job is. The referee's #1 responsibility is to protect the fighters, like it or not. This doesn't mean they are there to save you from a beat down or injury, that's the risk you take by entering the ring/octagon/whatever.

In boxing, referees were brought in because guys were being killed in the ring and they were called "the protector of fighters." No different in MMA, or any combat sport for that matter.

Tim Sylvia vs Frank Mir is one of the more well known examples. Herb Dean stopped it without Sylvia tapping. Why? To protect the fighter. Sylvia didn't even know his arm had been broken and still wanted to keep fighting.

Fighters themselves can't be expected to be objective in the heat of the moment especially with tapping. It's why the corners throw in the towels some times, to protect their fighter from himself. It isn't something some want to do as a point of pride and will suffer an injury, serious or otherwise, because of it. The ref is the most capable person involved to maintain safety and the integrity of the sport. It's a delicate balance, for sure.

Also, your "imagine how" scenario cuts both ways.