What's new

Stretching Seedlings. Pictures help please

Heres some pictures at day 14 just after watering them...still nothing happening up top..not looking to good?...they are going a very light green colour in places also..

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
They need some food as soon as the Cotyledons(round leaves) start to yellow.
What sort of temps have you got, nothing will stall growth like cold wet roots, and rockwool is a bastard for this.
Get a thermometer you can put into the cubes. They might want a bit of warmth under em to start em going.

They need some food as soon as the Cotyledons(round leaves) start to yellow.
What sort of temps have you got, nothing will stall growth like cold wet roots, and rockwool is a bastard for this.
Get a thermometer you can put into the cubes. They might want a bit of warmth under em to start em going.

Hello Harry...the room temp is 25 degrees...im using the vertical halides that are hanging in a line above the t5 to keep the room temps spot on.

Do you think I should put them on the tables? with a low EC in say 2 days time?

Im pretty sure im not over watering the cubes..I have thermometers all over the place in there and everywhere is 24-26 degrees so im pretty sure its not a temp issue

These are big buddah original cheese ive seen mixed reviews about them (I hope there ok as ive just got another 15 of them today (see below)...

Today I got a little DP90 propogation tent , another 4 tube 2' t5 and 15 more cheese seeds...just finished setting it up and have the 15 new seeds between plates containing kitchen roll (same way I did it last time) This time as soon as they have all split I am going to put them into the 1/2" cubes just below the surface (not using root riots this time), in the heated propogator with slats closed then directly under the t5 does this sound about right?

The propgation tent will eventually contain 4 small mothers and propogator with 2 x 4 tube 2 foot t5's above them....I will take cuts from the strongest plant near the end of veg before I switch them..this way I should be able to have a nice supply of cuttings at each rotation.

The 17 that are stretchy and not performing great will go in the 2.1m NFT's 9 one side and 8 the other...once the new 15 are ready in a couple of weeks I will put them in so they have a couple of weeks veg on the tables before they all get flipped...so hopefully 15 per tray with 3 x vert 400 MH's between them then for flower 3 x 400 HPS and 2 x 400 MH's between them in a line...if this works im very confident I will get a very nice yield. Up the outsides of the NFT tables are a series of strings and yoyos so I can train the bigger ones to the sides more so it will end up in a kind of U shape with smaller ones on the inside of the trays and larger ones on the outside of the trays trained... Both the NFT's are joined together with 1" pipes and a 100L loft tank that tops them up via gravity from outside the room...I have a rather complex enviromental control system in there using 3 x room stats, modified variacs etc that kick in and out at the correct temps...the setup has cost me a fortune! There are mixing pumps in the tables and in the 100L reservoir tank for when I need to make adjustments and after flushing and pumps built into the end of the NFT tables so I hit a switch and empty everything straight out the wall when its time to change the mix

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Judging by the last pic, I wouldn't put them in the system yet.
Rockwool holds a lot of water, but as long as it is freely draining, you can't really "Overwater" it, as it is manufactured to hold a perfect air/water ratio when saturated. A common mistake is to have cubes sitting on a flat tray. A tray with a grid bottom, or something inside the tray lifting them off the bottom and away from any excess that wants to run out helps. An upside down cell tray like the ones you get rockwool cloing cubes works well inside a normal tray.

N

noyd666

Today I got a little DP90 propogation tent , another 4 tube 2' t5 and 15 more cheese seeds...just finished setting it up and have the 15 new seeds between plates containing kitchen roll (same way I did it last time) This time as soon as they have all split I am going to put them into the 1/2" cubes just below the surface (not using root riots this time), in the heated propogator with slats closed then directly under the t5 does this sound about right?

The propgation tent will eventually contain 4 small mothers and propogator with 2 x 4 tube 2 foot t5's above them....I will take cuts from the strongest plant near the end of veg before I switch them..this way I should be able to have a nice supply of cuttings at each rotation.

The 17 that are stretchy and not performing great will go in the 2.1m NFT's 9 one side and 8 the other...once the new 15 are ready in a couple of weeks I will put them in so they have a couple of weeks veg on the tables before they all get flipped...so hopefully 15 per tray with 3 x vert 400 MH's between them then for flower 3 x 400 HPS and 2 x 400 MH's between them in a line...if this works im very confident I will get a very nice yield. Up the outsides of the NFT tables are a series of strings and yoyos so I can train the bigger ones to the sides more so it will end up in a kind of U shape with smaller ones on the inside of the trays and larger ones on the outside of the trays trained... Both the NFT's are joined together with 1" pipes and a 100L loft tank that tops them up via gravity from outside the room...I have a rather complex enviromental control system in there using 3 x room stats, modified variacs etc that kick in and out at the correct temps...the setup has cost me a fortune! There are mixing pumps in the tables and in the 100L reservoir tank for when I need to make adjustments and after flushing and pumps built into the end of the NFT tables so I hit a switch and empty everything straight out the wall when its time to change the mix
:biggrin: would be good to see your system sounds interesting, found my plant trouble, hope yours turns out ok.

Day 15..

Again not a lot happening up top...loads of roots through now though. I have put the lightproff plastic on the nft tables and secured it with fold back statinary clips nice and tight. I made a slit in one put one of the 3" cubes in to see how they are going to sit then covered the slits up with aluminium tape and all is good and lightproof.

I am thinking of putting them on the tables tomorrow night (9 left NFT 8 right side NFT) giving them an EC of 0.8 - 1.0, PH 5.6 - 5.8 and hang 3 vert 400W MH's between the tables as low as I can get them...one at front, one in middle and one at end..leaving the other 2 400 MH's between the first and middle and middle and end off and give them 24/7 light.

What do you think?

Day 17 (early am)

Loads of roots out...again not a lot happening up top but leaves are getting pretty yellow...Just put them on the NFT's with an EC of 0.9 (including 0.4 tap water), ph 5.7 temp next to them is 27 degrees and humidity is at 40%...have 3 x 400 vert halides between the tables above them a couple of feet away. I have the nft pumps coming on for 30mins then off for 1.5 hours as im pretty sure i could water log them if i have them on 24/7 at a young age?..hoping to now see some action!

Setup pictures...

NFT's through room door (2 x gt901 2.1m tables side by side)

picture.php

NFT's through door...normal nft pump in each...pump in end of each NFT for emptying (flick switch and empties out of wall into drain)....2 x extra pumps inside each NFT for mixing only (turn on for 10 minutes when adding potions)...rena "unbreakable" 300W fish tank heater in each NFT

picture.php

10" 1 metre Rhino Carbon filter strapped to ceiling with 5x 400W halides hanging..currently 3 MH's on and hung down low...5 will be on during flower (possible mix 3 x HPS and 2 x MH)

picture.php

100 litre external reservoir outside of room filling right hand NFT table via gravity and float valve (both nfts joined together with 4 x 1" pipes so both allways at same level)....big pump in external reservoir so can turn on when doing the mix so no stiring stick needed...nutty electrics behind it variacs, timers, Lumatek 600W dimmable ballasts etc

picture.php

Left hand frame with yoyos ready (more strings needed low down dependant on when I have to start to train them off the lamps)..room heater stat for lights off

picture.php

Right hand frame with yoyos ready (more strings needed low down dependant on when I have to start to train them off the lamps)..in fan stat of which changes in fan speeds dependant on room temp

picture.php

In fan duct, wall fan and 450W heater (gets very hot and dosent have nasty fan heater whiring noise)..the hot/cold air mixes with the wall fan pushing into the canopy

picture.php

Water supply and drain pipe (turn 3 way valve on wall, bypasses NFT emptying pipes, connect pipe to 100L external reservoir pump and out the wall it goes)

picture.php

NFT table pumps timer and fish tank heaters timer...when doing a refill, flush etc you do the mix in the external reservoir, let it release to the NFT's via gravity, set the NFT pumps to come on an hour later and the fish tank heaters to come on an hour later..this way you dont need to remember to go back in there

picture.php

Chiller..This is a Hailea HC-300A and is outside the room on the left hand side of the door. There is a 3000LPH pump in the left hand NFT pumping the water out and a pipe in the side of the front end of the right hand NFT pushing the temp controlled water back in

picture.php

Little DP90 propogator tent outside the room

picture.php

picture.php

15 more seeds coming up....getting ready to go on NFTs with others in a couple of weeks...hopefully without stretch this time!

picture.php

Space inside tent for a few small mothers...hopefully no more seeds for me!

picture.php

Day 17 runts! (late afternoon)

I put them on the NFT's yesterday because they were going rather yellow and might need food...they have well established root bases in the 3" cubes. EC 1.0 PH 5.8 (moved by 2 points since yesterday)

I am still not seeing much happen up top...something has to happen soon as 17 days and looking like this is nutty!

Anyone tell me if they are looking normal?...im hoping by the weekend I should see some significant action happening

These are big buddah original cheese (see earlier posts about why they stretched)

The last 5 pics were taken with the lights on and can see there colour a bit better

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
You might want to consider only having the NFT come on a couple of times a day, or even once, until roots start spreading across your slopes..

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Thanks Harry...at the moment they are 30 mins on 1.5 hours off...do you think I should increase this to say 30mins every 4 hours?
I would even go for just 15 minutes if your timers are normal 15 minute segments.
Myself I'd set it up to run once, and then keep an eye on the plants through the day, if it needs twice, then so be it. With NFT, you want to be encouraging the roots to spead out out over the slope and form a big thick root mat. Have you used spreader mat?
I ran a few NFT setups with a mate, and we would put the clones on drippers for the 1st week to ten days on the slopes.
Nutriculture used to sell dripper kits to covert their Gro-tanks for drippers.

frankenstein2

Astronaut Status
Veteran
All above replies are awesome responses. I have the same problem sometimes and i put dirt around the stalks......sometimes. A small fan like 3" will also do the trick, it will strengthen those little stalks right up. I just popped 18 the other day and the fan is fattening them right up. ......and keep the light right on top of them. Oh yeah and never walk away from a running hose....lol

Latest posts

Latest posts