What's new

Strawberry Cough x Hindu Kush cross

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Ive started a few seeds from a cross I made a while back. Just chucking pollen and having fun.
I crossed a Dutch Passion Cough with Gypsy's Hindu Kush.
The Cough plant was very nice. I know the DP Cough has disappointed in the past but the last pack of fem'ed seeds I bought brought forth some nice plants. The mother cough of these seeds was a short blocky indica leaning plant that finished in about sixty days. The male H.K. was a vigorous hollow stemmed plant that flowered quickly.
I will be interested to see the results of this cross.

My mix is simple.
I use Espoma organic mix soil with about two tablespoons of lime and two or so heaping tablespoons of Peace of Mind 3-4-3 starter fert and start the seed directly in the soil in 16 oz. drink cups.

Veg time was approximately three weeks and under 24 hours of fluorescent light.

On the fourth week I put them in three gallon pots with Espoma soil mixed withthe same amount of lime and about two tablespoons of Peace of Mind 5-5-5.
They were then placed under 400 watt HPS at 12/12.
I have limited space and it gets hot in the middle of the summer so I want to save some time and get this grow over asap. Thus the 12/12 with no further veg. This will also save me some time if the cross is disappointing and I want to try something else.
Here they are at six weeks. Great growth, very vigorous and happy.
I hit them with a bit of fish emulsion every third watering or so.
All males were chopped a few days ago. I got 50 % male/female ratio out of the seeds. Female flowers popped about two days after the males .
Ill keep this up for my own record but follow along if you wish.
Thanks for checkin' out my thread.
Peace.

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
Ok. Planted three Oaxaca Sativa seeds last night.Ive had them for years and it will be interesting to see if they pop.
Also have two of three seeds of some unknown bagweed break the surface after three days in the soil.
Getting good results from my SC x HK cross. Buds are forming up nicely.
Like I said before growth is very vigorous. These plants are stretching a bit more than I would prefer . Think I will cut feeding back a bit. If my space wasn't limited in height i wouldn't worry about it.
Ive tied them down to about 2/3 of their natural height.

Top shots.

Here is a shot of bud from the mother Cough plant with a one year cure. It's my last nug of this beauty. Im puffing a bowlful of it now. Very potent sativa type high that makes my head "ring" for lack of a better description, even though the buds formed up in a very indica fashion.

Whats up Capt?! I'm Sub'd for sure..Strawberry Cough is one of my fav strains..I have grown it twice in the last couple years with great success..I still have a quart jar packed with some nice crystally SC buds..like I said one of my fav's..the smell is very unique and it tastes awesome..Vap or Bong...both of my SC grows produced some very nice compact buds..I think SC will make a great cross with whatever but I am very interested to see how they turn out..I think SC would make a great gross with some TGA strains like Querkle or even a cross with White Widow would be nice..endless possibilities for sure!

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
Hey Mr. Frugal. Thanks for checking in.
Ive gotten some kick ass plants out of the DP Cough. The chunky blocky pheno that looks like the plant in the product photo is great. That is what I used for the mother of these seeds.
I gave a few beans of this cross to a buddy who is going to grow them out in a hydro set up. Hopefully he will check in and let us know how they are doing.
Ive used the the DP cough for a variety of crosses. Several I have yet to grow out.
Ive crossed it with Plural of Kush, Black Domina and a local, mostly sativa indoor strain called NSR which seems to flower relatively quickly.
Unless things get too hot this summer, I will be putting a few of them in the dirt to see what happens..

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
Hey folks.
A quick update.
The SCxHK cross is doing nicely. Nice bud formation with a hint of fruity candy.
Not too much odor yet, security wise. Looks like the stretch has finally ended and I have cut back on N as much as I dare. Top dressed with a high P guano the other night.
The three Sativa beans failed to sprout. May be a blessing in disguise as my space is limited in height anyhow. Im guessing that these plants will have to go 70-75 days before finished to my liking.

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
All plants doing well. Hit them with some molasses last night along with a bit of Neptune fish and seaweed emulsion when watering. The fruity candy/earthy smell of the buds is intensifying a little more every day.
Have 6 unknown bagseed seeds that have sprouted.

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
Quick update before work.
Plants are doing well. Things are starting to smell pretty strong. Nice woodsy -sweet candy floral smell.

killerweed31

Smile Vs Cry
Veteran
HEY GROWER VERI NICE PROJECT , THIS CROSS SOUND A REALL bomb, plants look good and sure ill be watching your progress, so keep it green !!!

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
OK... Im back. Things are going well. The plants are packing on some weight and frosting up a bit. Nice strong sweet fruity candy smell which is strong while the lights are on but not too bad unless I disturb them.
Have a few seedlings of an unknown but chemmy smelling strain going. Even the 6 inch plants already stink.

Here are a few updated photos of the sc x hk cross. Ive been giving them some Neptune fish emulsion every third watering and a light high P guano tea every once a couple times . Otherwise plain water.
These girls better hurry up because my stash is running low. Gonna be close!

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
Plants starting to really put out a nice fruity earthy scent. Buds are packing on some weight and getting nice and sticky. Some of the larger fan leaves yellowing up and falling off.
Up-potted three unknown but Chemmy smelling bagseed plants last night and moved them from veg to flower with a top dress of Happy Frog and a drink of light molasses water.
Despite the 100 % humidity we are experiencing right now, things look OK. Im glad I trained the plants as I did , which opened up the colas into smaller buds that are easier to get some air flowing through. Need to buy a new fan today. One of my old fans was making some funny noises last night. I dont trust it.

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
Ok. Latest update. Plants are puttin' it out and getting frosty. Heavy cloying fruity smell coming off of them when disturbed but otherwise super stealthy without any stink emanating from the grow space. Buds are nice and sticky when handled and the plants just keep pushing out new growth.
So far these plants haven't been very picky, nute -wise. Ive given them more N for a longer period than I have in past grows and they have really produced. At this point Ive decided to cut back on the N and going to light high P quano tea, some molasses and eventually plain water for a flush. Ive been having to water them every two days with about a third of a gallon each.
Bud growth is heavy.Large fan leaves are yellowing up and falling off. Branches are flopping over from the weight and Ive had to support one top with some string in order to prevent it from laying on the floor.

So far, Im very happy with this cross. It has shown excellent mold resistance (considering we have had just about 100 % humidity around here for the last three weeks) low odor when undisturbed, good vigorous growth and has been easy to feed.

Newest photos.

My chemmy smelling seedlings out of the veg room and into the flower room.

A buddy of mine set me up with a bag of Grape God direct from his Nevada source. Good smoke. I like it. Mellow and tasty. Good daytime smoke that helps with my shoulder and other various pains.

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
Painted part of one bud on each plant with some pollen from a vigorous super stinky male I have kept outside. Hopefully will get some seeds before they finish.
Buds have really developed some weight and frost in the last couple days. I dont check them every day so when I do, growth is noticeable.
Water usage is still the same so I suspect they are a ways from finishing.
A few hairs are starting to dry and redden up and more large fan leaves along with the smaller leaves are starting to yellow up and fall off.
Im at about week five now and estimate I have at least another three to go, maybe four.
Updated pics tomorrow night.

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
Latest update. Looking good. I smell incense, spice,cherry,fruit. Getting sticky and trichs are developing nicely.

A big glob of buds.Needed to support it with some string to prevent branch breakage.

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
Got the microscope out last night and checked trichs. Most still clear with very few milky or amber. Still a ways to go. The plants are just over day forty of actual flower time and I think they will need at least another 3 weeks before finished to my liking.

Also chopped first male out of the seedlings I re-potted on the night of the 7th. First female showed her hairs last night . Hmm. Im not sure about these mystery seedlings. 9 days of 12/12 is more than enough to indicate sex.

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
OK.. New update. These plants are rockin'. The buds are getting heavy and packing on weight. They are producing thick rock hard nugs. No signs of mold, no overt odor unless disturbed. They just keep chugging along. The fruity cherry odor is intense and cloying when the buds are disturbed or squeezed. Im seeing the Hindu Kush traits in these plants along with traits from the blocky SC mother. I will be running these seeds again if potency is up to par once they are harvested. A couple more weeks to go on these.
Stinky unknown bagseed plants have all flowered and I have taken clones off the nicest one.
Latest pics.

Oh and what do we have here.... The mail man came yesterday. :)

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
Still chugging along. Plants are frosting up and the buds that I painted with pollen are making some nice seeds. Two of the unknown bagseed plants that first showed female flowers decided to start putting out some balls, so I killed them. The other two remaining female seedlings have been banished to the great outdoors to fend for themselves. I dont trust them inside with the plants that are almost finished.
Starting some Sweetest Cindy99 beans tonight.

budman678

I come from the land where the oceans freeze
Veteran
right here, looks like a good seat. im digging the grow show. what sixe tent are you flowering in?

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
Thats not a tent, budman. Its actually a small space I have divided right now with a sheet of that reflective heavy duty bubble wrap. The walls are covered in that reflective insulated foam board. Presently, the space is about 6 feet tall by 6 feet wide and 10 feet long. Height is my main issue. I usually have to train the plants to fit in the space, height-wise.
Ive been using this space for about ten years and have it pretty well dialed in but this fall I am considering starting a new space that will give me all the height I need.