What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Strategy to kill the moulds which kill my clones during summer

IngFarmer

A simple trick a friend showed me for cloning when the temps are too high is to put them in water for a week or two (no covering) until you start to see white nubs/root initials form and then put them into your coco/peat. It avoids using humidity domes and you can get decent success rates while keeping the humidity much lower to mitigate pathogens.
I used to do this, but when it really gets warm and it does where I am, the base of the stalk of the clones being sprayed by the water, which I do intermittently like every 15 minutes on 15 minutes off still get soft and slippery, hence fungus and mould still attack in that condition...

IngFarmer

If you use well water (or even RO), try adding a few drops of household bleach (hypochlorite) to hopefully slow down mold growth.

Just enough for you to detect a faint pool smell. That is how water from the plant stays fresh.

Otherwise I agree with what the others said:
Avoid getting the clone tray soaking wet, avoid excessive spraying, avoid excessive temperatures. Keep the mom healthy.
give a dosage! like how many drops of bleach to how many liters of water???

Somatek

I used to do this, but when it really gets warm and it does where I am, the base of the stalk of the clones being sprayed by the water, which I do intermittently like every 15 minutes on 15 minutes off still get soft and slippery, hence fungus and mould still attack in that condition...
Did you have you cuttings submerged in water or being sprayed in some sort of aero cloner, the comment about the sprayers being on/off in 15 min intervals confuses me.

IngFarmer

Y'all keep your clones domed up WAY too long. First 3 days remove dome 1/x a day to let fresh air in and close again. After 2 days open vents. Day 4 remove dome for 1 hour and check for wilt. If wilt put dome back. Do this Daily until plants don't wilt. I rarely have to dome more than 4 days. Never have mold issues either. Keeping too much humidity actually retards root growth.

I also always use rooting hormone (Clonex for me)
I agree to this!!! this solution and or just spraying the dome without misting the plants...

IngFarmer

Mist the dome you keep over the cutting, don’t mist the cuttings.

I use jiffy pucks myself and i only mist my cuttings when i put them into the jiffies but after this i only mist the dome.

They say cuttings will root faster when you don’t mist them and so they’ll focus on getting moisture from the medium not the leaves..

After the first 3-4 days cuttings usually can stay longer with out the dome covering them, as long as there’s not too much air movement on them or the light isn’t too intense. So give them as much fresh air as they can handle. Fresh air will prevent moulds, pm etc from growing so well.
this too makes sense... thank you all

Ca++

Did you have you cuttings submerged in water or being sprayed in some sort of aero cloner, the comment about the sprayers being on/off in 15 min intervals confuses me.
Indeed. In post #1 he is only using coco.

Look at this. Wet the coco, put lid on, come back when rooted.

How warm is really warm. We need the facts, or we are just taking shots in the dark

Edit: I see in the new thread, it's actually coco and perlite. The thread asking what to spray them with every day.

Last edited:

GoatCheese

Veteran
Wet the coco, put lid on, come back when rooted.

Stale air ..This is asking for trouble with moulds, PM etc..

You should give cutting as much fresh air as they can take with out wilting

We need the facts, or we are just taking shots in the dark
LOL
When did facts about other people's grow situation matter to you when you start lecturing them.
You already assumed his temps went past 30 C in your first post and only now you bother to ask about it. This is so you. (y)Hah-hah

Ca++

Stale air ..This is asking for trouble with moulds, PM etc..

You should give cutting as much fresh air as they can take with out wilting

LOL
When did facts about other people's grow situation matter to you when you start lecturing them.
You already assumed his temps went past 30 C in your first post and only now you bother to ask about it. This is so you. (y)Hah-hah
Actually I said "It sounds like your temp is getting into the 30s. That's where the air can really hold too much water. Along with the temps being favourable towards mold. How many cuttings are we talking about."

It's opening up a conversation about important facts. Facts you have not even tried to collect.

Are you not going to pull him up on the fact he still want's to spray them every day?

You are incapable of finding his problem. You don't know how to even start looking.

Have you added a single bit of original knowledge anywhere on this thread (or forum)

The only reason I have not put you on ignore is because you will sit there making unanswered jibes at me. You can't help yourself.

You are the stuff that sticks to my shoe. I wish you would shut up with this stupid crusade that's becoming half of this thread now. A thread I have lost interest in.

StickyBandit

@IngFarmer do you have a pic of your cloning setup?
I tried pushing a KA5H cutting straight into a 2L pot with a coco/perlite mix with no gel or powder and put half a plastic bottle on top and it rooted fine. Sprayed every couple of days if it started wilting. Not overly wet. Medium was not saturated
The commercial plugs also work best for me with zero rooting additives all year 'round. Never sterilize anything either and get ~100%
After the clones have been in a few days I let the tray dry out a bit and I pick each one up daily to feel the weight and spray the plug directly to keep the leaves dry, unless they start to wilt
Maybe this doesn't answer your question but just food for thought :)
clones.jpg covered.jpg

Last edited:

Ca++

You rooted some buds. That is notoriously hard. Any success rate at all is something.

StickyBandit

You rooted some buds. That is notoriously hard. Any success rate at all is something.
These are the same clones a while later after topping the Malawi x PCK bud clones
The clothes pegs have been removed today after the stems sealed for a few days
20220824_201025.jpg
This is one of the KA5Hs from the above post prior to potting. Algae on the roots but no rot
20220824_195422.jpg
I think the leaves need to dry out periodically during rooting

Last edited:

RockinRobot

I root cuttings with buds all the time with near 100% strike rate. Read up on "MonsterCropping". Just need to take your cuts at about 3rd week of flower. No harder to root than regular cuts just take longer to revert to veg but make REALLY bushy plants

GoatCheese

Veteran
^^ Yes, it takes a long time. I threw this one away before it really got going cause i was struggling with space in my veg cab. It was more to see if i can get a proper bud growing roots, anyways.

Latest posts

Latest posts