What's new

Strategy for hauling Huge bales of moss/soil to grow spot?

tokinjoe

Damn I'd hate to have to carry a deer out on my back! Luckily where I hunt there are plenty of dirt roads I can drag em to.... Yeah I know that's an antelope but we only have whitetail deer here...sorry for getting a little :off2:

Last edited:

Groucho

any method involving dragging or pushing something along the forest floor is a bad idea that is unless its the year before or visible trails are of no concern to you. i find it hard enough to walk through some areas without leaving a path. just my experience

Vol Funk

Move your stuff when it's raining out. Nobody likes to be on nature trail if it's going to rain hard(be careful if there's bad thunderstorms).

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
what i did was use a big backpack i had laying around lined with a garbage bag.

i cut open the bale and put about half of it in my bag. the carried whatever was left.

slightly easier than lugging the whole bale through the woods

although after seeing browndirts videos, i think im going to suck it up and go like a tank this season

NickMode

bongasaurus said:
what i did was use a big backpack i had laying around lined with a garbage bag.

i cut open the bale and put about half of it in my bag. the carried whatever was left.

slightly easier than lugging the whole bale through the woods

although after seeing browndirts videos, i think im going to suck it up and go like a tank this season
ahhahahhaha for real.

I think ill try the half backpack half carrying

zappa66

In my area the snow is still on the ground so I just pushed the fuckers infront of me. Its always fun crossing streams this time of year, lol

two heads

Veteran
Forgive the crappy drawing but here is how we transport bales into our swamp sites. The smaller compressed coir/coco bricks are a good option though. They are small enough to carry in a regular day pack.

i just got a couple of goats but too late..next year i'll use them to haul in supplies...however i'll have fun taking them for hikes this year....

D

DJ_highst_

two heads said:
The smaller compressed coir/coco bricks are a good option though. They are small enough to carry in a regular day pack.

word, fuck peat moss.

Coco is better in every possible conceivable way, including carrying into a forest (weight). The sooner you realize that, the easier your efforts will be.

smokeymacpot

Veteran
DJ_highst_ said:
word, fuck peat moss.

Coco is better in every possible conceivable way, including carrying into a forest (weight). The sooner you realize that, the easier your efforts will be.

what about cost? 130L cost me less than $9. tis worth abit of carrying :joint:

basilfarmer

DJ_highst_ said:
word, fuck peat moss.

DJ,

I would go coco but my promix will not be watered regularily. It can dry out a bit no problem, but with coco, wouldn't this be a huge problem? I thought if coco is allowed to dry the ph gets all screwed up and it should be kept moist always. ???

basilfarmer

hint: large, wide, inflated tires will cut way less of a trail

promixwagonoe3.png

Last edited:

Tirs

When figuring out how many bales of peat moss you need, remember that the 3.8 bales roughly double in size once you open them up. I had to move 6 to my spot last year and I found dragging them in a sled was easiest however my area was flat.

Coco is great but peat has some advantages in these situations, 6 bales of peat is about equivalent to 170 of those coco bricks so price is definitely an issue. Coco also dries out a lot faster.

jackel

we had the privilage of hauling a few bales of Sunshine up a cliff. we used military surplus backpack frames. they worked fine, but be prepared to work ur ass off. thats just part of it though.
we also made a zipline down another cliff with rope, a wood box with 2 pullies. another rope from box to the top that we could pull. load the box, climb the cliff and pull the box up the line. it works really well, and it also makes moving loads out fast. just remember that the zipline will be seen.
hauled coco bricks in a luggage bag up a cliff as well.

G

my strategy for hauling bales of promix would be to put black garbage bags around 3 bales stacked, duct tape them down and place them on a dolly. move the bales at night and just throw them into the bush. (lazy man way)

that or get a long pole similar to a squat bar and just put bales on the end, carry one on the back if you can. the bar would just rest on your shoulders and you walk with it. if you tied it with rope, make sure its fairly secure cause the bales might get annoying if they are moving alot. the plastic is fairly strong so depending on how much it can withstand, you could probably get away with 4-6 bales a time. lol this one is good exercise and faster if you're a tank, just make sure everything is black so you camo a bit lol the bales stand out like a mother fucker.

Last edited:

jackel

sunshine bales of mix number 2-4 are black with some yellow an white writing on one side. there pretty camo.

a good idea would be to just stake a 3/4" metal piping(emt) maybe 8-10ft long through the center of 3-4 bales then carry on twp peoples shoulder...does that make any sense????

jackel

the problem with using 2 people is, 2 people. many times people are doing these grows by themselves . this is the safest way to do it. therefore figuring out ways to haul heavy things with one person is the best because even if u are with a partner, each of u can do the single-person method and get the job done twice as fast.

smokeymacpot

Veteran
jackel said:
the problem with using 2 people is, 2 people. many times people are doing these grows by themselves . this is the safest way to do it. therefore figuring out ways to haul heavy things with one person is the best because even if u are with a partner, each of u can do the single-person method and get the job done twice as fast.

good advice, i had to haul quite a few bags of soil and dig some massive holes, but i would not ask anyone to help me, because i dont want people to know exactly where they are.

Latest posts

Latest posts