What's new

Strange Slime buildup on roots

richyrich

Out of the slime, finally.
Veteran
Quick question for you rich.. at what strength do you add the physan 20?

You can find that at the bottom of all my posts.

j.k

I just finished reading 64 pages :dance013::dance013:
(wont let me read the last 2 for some reason??:wallbash:, guess ill have to wait until tomorrow to read that last few.
To everyone who contributed info.:wave::wave::wave: Ur awesome, thanks snowdog, thanks grow,
mucho thanks to rich for getting this thread sticked, and everything, that everyone has contributed. :thank you:

I do have a couple questions for Rich though, Earlier in the thread in different spots u were talking about adding Great White, Power Cloner solution, and Aquashield.

I am curious do you add these products to the EWC tea While it is brewing OR After you have added it the reservoir?

Add only the Great White to the brew.

When brewing your ewc tea? do you ph the water Before you add the castings Or After you add it to the resevoir? I currently use vinegar as a ph down, do you think it will effect the EWC tea in any way..i.e. prevent beneifs from developing?

Ph after. I'm guessing the vinegar won't harm anything.

also did you ever get a chance to try that bokashi juice, and if you did how did it compare to the regular ewc?

Never tried it yet.

thanks again everyone:thank you:,

^^^

MrWeekend

ok richyrich. I got some slime build up in my ebb & flow buckets......I was just about to transplant them into a brand new sytem in my flower room, but now im not sure if I want to infect it also....started to notice some leaf droop, & light brown slime on hoses, meters, & roots.

whats my best course of action if I want to continue with this set of plants?

PICTURES BELOW

MrWeekend

heres some pics I took.....I have been running gh 3part with h202 for years with no problems....just started adding cal/mag supplement & this shit started.......the red stuff in the bottom of the bucket is hydroton dust/small particles.......right now I have floraclean in the res, for a 30 min flush....then going to go with physan 20.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Starting to notice plant droop

picture.php

This is what Ive bought so far....just read through the some of this HUGE thread and see the cannzyme is a NO-NO.

picture.php

MrWeekend

Just flushed with clearex....now going to run physan at 3ml per 25 gallons....2- 30 min fill & drain...is that enough?

whats a good uv filter to look at for a 55gal res?

plan of attack.....please let me know if any of this is not right.

1-clearex for a few hours
2-physan 30min flood......not foaming anything like richy showed in a picture
3-pick off slime roots showing
4-physan 30min flood
5-clean water flush for 2 30 min floods
6-GH nutes, h202, & rhyzotonic

do I need to do the physan flush periodically(couple days/weeks, or just when I see the ph drifting?)....sorry for asking so many questions but this thread is huge & im trying to do this NOW.

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
The one thing you left out of your plan is colonization with beneficial bacteria. If you don't inoculate after treatment then the slime may return. Use Physan only once as the nuclear slime killer and no more. Otherwise your plan sounds pretty good.

MrWeekend

still trying to read through this tread and pick out the info...its been 2 days and im only half way through richyrich post.....this thread needs to be consolidated BIG TIME.....so many things are being talked about I have no idea what works....it will probably take me a week to the WHOLE thread.

well this is what I did. plant are droopy, hopefully they will make a comeback

all these measurements are for a 55gal res...water was ph'd to 5.8-6 before each flood.

1- 475ml floraclean, 2- 30min floods
2- 6ml physan20, 30 min flood
PICKED OFF SLIMY ROOTS
3- 6ml physan 20, 30min flood
4- 475ml floraclean, 30min flood
5- 150ml h202, & GH 3part @ 1.0ec for 6hrs, consisting of 2- 30 min floods 6hrs apart
6- 6ml physan20, 1hr in res, 45min flood
7- clean ph'd water
8- GH nutes only @ 1.0ec

all this was done in 24hrs.

is this slime supposed to dissolve in the physan 20? or am I supposed to wipe all of it clean?....because I cant physically wipe everything I need to with plants in there, plus its probably inside my tubing.

richyrich

Veteran
still trying to read through this tread and pick out the info...its been 2 days and im only half way through richyrich post.....this thread needs to be consolidated BIG TIME.....so many things are being talked about I have no idea what works....it will probably take me a week to the WHOLE thread.

all these measurements are for a 55gal res...water was ph'd to 5.8-6 before each flood.

PICKED OFF SLIMY ROOTS
5- 150ml h202, & GH 3part @ 1.0ec for 6hrs, consisting of 2- 30 min floods 6hrs apart
7- clean ph'd water
8- GH nutes only @ 1.0ec

is this slime supposed to dissolve in the physan 20? or am I supposed to wipe all of it clean?....because I cant physically wipe everything I need to with plants in there, plus its probably inside my tubing.

ItsGrowTime, gave you the correct answer you need. Read up on the EWC teas now. You can also click on my name above the dog picture and use the filter option just to read my posts if you wish.

MrWeekend

PICKED OFF SLIMY ROOTS
7- clean ph'd water
8- GH nutes only @ 1.0ec

#9- 550ml Aquashield & GH nutes @ 1.0ec (praying for a comeback)...everythings alittle droopy, but there is new root growth in the bottom of the pots

MrWeekend

like? ewc tea?.....im not going to be able to get that made for a few days, so I put the aquashield in there for now.......dont know what else to do

MrWeekend

Thanks for the help ITG......plants are not looking good at the moment (kinda droopy)but they are still holding on.

Going to make some EWC tea tomorrow, but I believe it takes 24hrs of bubbling from what ive read so far.

MrWeekend

Just wanted to quote this bump this towards the end.... for some reason this post doesnt come up under EWC tea, or EWC teas.

going to pick up what I can find at my local stores......my list as of now is mycostop, great white, eath nectar, earth ambrosia, EWC, & some bio filters to put in my res & controller bucket.

I cant seem to find Richs recipie in this thread........so if you stop in rich please share.....for some reason I think I remember 2 cups ewc, in 5 gallon water?...but then how many cups per gallon in a res?....I think you were putting 3 cups in a 10 gallon ez cloner?.....shits not coming up on a search.....& how much carboload?

Thanks

Now here is what I am up to now. Finally, getting back to hydro after a year or so away I wanted to run an experiment with a beneficial microbe seeded reservoir that I have talked much about in the past. Seeing that I decided to go with the UV light in the reservoir this run I figured I could run an experiment with beneficials in my EZ Cloner. I always got slimed in that thing. We have one confirmed grow from DItrY that he/she got rid of the slime by introducing beneficial microbes to his/her grow. I, also, linked some old posts that I never came across before in all my reading on this site regarding the same.

I completely cleaned my EZ Cloner with Physan20 and set it up. The next thing I had to decide was where I wanted to get my beneficial microbes from. I could buy very expensive bottles that like to sell everything separate. One bottle for beneficial bacteria. Another bottle for beneficial fungi and so on. What I ended up doing is making my own earth worm casting tea. IMO nothing beats a fresh brewed EWC tea for microbes. You get beneficial bacteria, fungi, protozoa and nematodes. And the best of all is you only need a $5 dollar bag of earth worm castings, a bucket, air stone and air pump. Oh, and some molasses or what I used, CarboLoad that I still had stored away. The complex sugars in these products feed the microbes. Get over to the organic soil forum and read about EWC teas. In 24 hours they should look frothy like mine.

I ended up putting some in a gallon container for later use. You can store it in the fridge for up to 7-10 days.

And, here is the EZ Cloner ready to go. Notice, I went ahead and threw in a biological filter. Keep you updated.

MrWeekend

Found the important info I could....this should help others find what they need.....ill throw in a couple key words to help other find this post.... ewc EWC earth worm eathworm casting castings recipie recipe tea teas ezcloner ez-cloner slime brown algae

Jupiter, welcome to the slime club.

Keep it simple with the ewc tea. 3 gallons of RO water. Add 1-2 cups of ewc and just a tad of molasses and that is it. Do not add humic acids or kelp. It is food for the microbes including the slime.

Do not add any molasses (food) to the cloner. You only want to add a couple of cups of ewc tea every 3rd day to replenish. Do not feed the microbes within, just replace them. The food could of been your problem. Always clean your unit with Physan20. I add power cloner solution made by botanicare to the water and away it goes. That is it.

My recommendations at this point are:

For brown slime algae -- physan20 all equipment and go with beneficial microbes right off the bat. I recommend inoculating with EWC tea and some aqua shield. Re-inoculate every week to keep the colony super strong and thriving. Do not add carb products like carbo load or molasses. This will keep the slime and root rot away. You will not get the rot as long as you don't drown your roots. Nothing can fight that. They will suffocate and die off. The microbes will keep the rot from starting though. Keep an eye on the colony and roots.

Or if you prefer the sterile route, go UV light in the rez to keep away the slime and SM-90 to keep away the root rot. Same thing as above goes for drowning roots. If this happens and the rot overcomes the chemicals then you need to H2O2 it every day until done. Of course after cleaning all the dead roots out (I mean ALL of them). At this point I do not know how effective Zone is on root rot. I haven't had root rot in forever so I haven't tried it. The current self-inflicted root rot I treated with SM-90 doing what I just recommended.

I am currently running my hydro setup with beneficial microbes and cannazyme. No sign of slime. I'd say go for it with the zyme. Just keep an eye out. You never know what can happen.

I learned to root cuts like a pro a few years ago when I was constantly getting slimed in my EZ Cloners. I learned to use rockwool. I don't like rapid rooters. They work really well, but dry out way too fast. They require constant observance because once they dry out the cuts are done.

Prep rockwool at 5.5 straight RO water. Dip cuts in clonex. Make a hole with a nail between the corner and the pre-made hole of a 1.5 inch rockwool cube. Dont stick the cut all the way to the bottom, just before. Put in a nursery flat. Don't put more than 30-40 in each. They need room to breath. Cover with a dome for the first 3 days. Take the dome off each day and flip it upside down to release stale air and I usually blow on the cuts. Put the lid back on. Don't water until the cubes are nearly dry. This make the roots come out faster. Around day 5-7, you should notice that some of the cuts leaves are looking perky. This usually indicated the root nubs are forming. This is the time you can start to feed at a ppm of 500 (.5 conversion) and a root stimulator would be nice. Of course, don't do this until a watering is required depending on the dryness of the cube. Only use a 15-25 watt floro over them. Roots should be exploding in 10-14 days. make sure the mothers are healthy.

Yes, simple EWC Tea is all you need. Best part is that it is super cheap.

Off the shelf stuff: Great White, EA & EN, etc.; I like to add AquaShield in addition; and Root Excelurator, also. There are a lot out there. Just don't add mollasses or carb products to the rez with them. You could have an overgrowth that will mess with your pH, and if your good microbe colony is not doing so well, then you will just have opened the free buffet line for the slime.

MrWeekend

few more

You got it right.

"Two-part mycorrhizal inoculants, Earth Nectar and Earth Ambrosia, are for use with soil gardening and in hydroponics systems. When Earth Nectar, containing the concentrated mycorrhizal cultures, is mixed with Earth Ambrosia, the fuel delivery system for the active cultures, they infuse the growing medium with mycorrhiza resulting in stronger plants and increased crop yields. For use with soil or hydroponics

Earth Nectar and Earth Ambrosia are great for use in cloning systems. Used together in these solutions they prevent and protect tender young clones from the slimy buildup that sometimes occurs when the water is not changed often enough. Using these solutions will help bad microbes from attacking and rotting young rooting stems, andd will instead inspire your clones to grow the healthy white roots you are searching for."

For sure make your own and its super cheap. It is EWC tea. I have been adding all kinds of cocktails lately. AquaShield, Great White powder and root excelurator (it is a microbe). Read through the posts. Some are having success with other products.

MrWeekend

Plants have started perking up.

Did 4 res changes today, & now have the earth ambrosia, & earth nectar running in the system....turns your water almost black.

did a 15 min flush of 5ml physan in 55gal
2- 15 min fresh water flushes
then 60ml EA & 60ml EN, & 1.0 ec GH 3 part.

EWC tea will be done tomorrow afternoon......4gallons water/3cups EWC/1tsp carboload/2tsp great white <---damn this shit is expensive!! one $60 can only does 100gal of water.

how much of this tea should I add to a 55gal res?.....I believe rich said he put 3 cups in a 10gal ezcloner?

richyrich

Veteran
Plants have started perking up.

Did 4 res changes today, & now have the earth ambrosia, & earth nectar running in the system....turns your water almost black.

did a 15 min flush of 5ml physan in 55gal
2- 15 min fresh water flushes
then 60ml EA & 60ml EN, & 1.0 ec GH 3 part.

EWC tea will be done tomorrow afternoon......4gallons water/3cups EWC/1tsp carboload/2tsp great white <---damn this shit is expensive!! one $60 can only does 100gal of water.

how much of this tea should I add to a 55gal res?.....I believe rich said he put 3 cups in a 10gal ezcloner?

you really cant overdo it with the ewc tea. i have friends who put in a gallon of the store bought stuff--vermit t--per 50 gallons.

you dont have to put that much great white into your ewc brew. they will multiply in the brew.

MrWeekend

EXC tea brewing....been about 18hrs, & no foam?....when I stir it by hand and shake it up it gets foam for a few mins, then it goes away....I am using a filter bag for the casting like a real tea......maybe ill just dump them in there for the last few hours, then filter it out.
picture.php

filter pad, in controller bucket
picture.php

recirc pump with filter & bio media attached
picture.php

Earth Ambrosia 60ml, Earth Nectar 60ml
picture.php

onegreenday

Veteran
nice spray set up. lots of sprayers.

I did not know you could run organics in the spray tubs.

Is that copper tubing in the controller bucket?

Latest posts

Latest posts