What's new

Strange Slime buildup on roots

C

chytil151

richy you really cleared up for me what my problem is that I am encountering atm , In your last post here. TY for that

My problems now and hopefully i can counter act before it spreads. I'm going to list what I am using I just started growing indoors this year and am unaware of the many things that can happen indoors. I am running a DWC single buckets not recirculating 9 in all. I have been using the lucas formula W/ floraNova and just in the last 2 weeks have been using the hygrozyme as an additive.

I had my plants in a flat tote for veg.,4 to 5 plant per flat and everything was fine until I transfered every plant into their own 5 gal. bucket into the flower room last night. In each bucket i added 8Ml/G of floranova Bloom and 8 Ml/G of hygrozyme W/ R/O water (note i have just started using R/O water in the last few days before that was distilled water) .

Well today when I had gotten home from work and checked to see how they were doing in their new room and their own buckets i noticed this off color slime on the walls of all the buckets, So the first thing i did was checked ICmag. for any if not all the info i could find and this is where I am at now.

So should i just totally omit the hygrozyme from the water and clean everything well and rinse the roots in water to rinse any slime off, Or could i introduce a BB to feed on the slime? I am very freaked out about this everything has been going remarkably great for me for my first indoor grow and would be crushed too loose it cause of a organic in my Non-organic solution Ty ahead of time for all or any help u can provide for me.... :1help:

richyrich

Out of the slime, finally.
Veteran
Drop the Hygrozyme ASAP. UV sterilization will not work for you with a non re-circulating DWC set-up. Disinfect with Physan20 (or H2O2) -- everything; roots and buckets -- and stay with FloraNova. Brew some EWC Tea for microbes and go at it. Keep up on the microbe colony and you should have smooth sailing. Read the previous few pages for directions on tea and application. Will be worth your while to read this thread in it's entirety -- know your enemy.

C

chytil151

yeah i went back threw the thread and did some homework. I had some extra airstones as well as some extra pumps and buckets so i pulled all the plants, and then began to sterilize and bleach everything. i think i might have caught it before it had gotten to an uncontrolable point it was only 6hrs top's from the time i had transferd them to the new buckets and seen the slime. But then again i might have just slowed it down I checked PH today and it is still sitting about the same spot as it as when i changed out the buckets and scrubbed like a mad man.

there is no slime on any of the bucket's walls. There is 1 bucket that i noticed a little bit and i mean a very very small amount of foam so i will treat that 1 bucket if need be. As far as getting physan today it's going to have to wait tilll tomarrow seeing my local shop is closed on monday's.

The only thing i can think of from using the hygrozyme in my veg. room before the flower room was that it was running the plant's for 6 weeks prior to using the hygrozyme,and i belive it must have already had a BB colonized in the flats that i was using. When i transfered to single bucket's and added the hygrozyme in with my new nute's cycle there was no BB colony to fight the bad bacteria in the hygrozyme thus forming the slime.

so my conclusion to adding hygrozyme to your solution would be to run the buckets either using a EWC tea to boost the BB or i guess u could run the system for 2 weeks at least to colonize BB in your system I came upon this conclusion from reading up on "Big tokes" bio-bucket tutorial on how to prime the BB in the system by running it before u add plants to prime a BB. Tomarrow I will be getting a bottle of physan 20 and I will be giving the EWC tea a go also, with the EWC tea how long do i need to brew it before i can add it to my water,and how much will it effect my ph? I will be reading up on the organic hydro forum's to find out for sure thanks again for ur help and support if it hadn't been for Icmag. IDK what would have happened to all my hard work this past month and a half .

6 days in with just aquashield and RO water ph'd to 5.8

two of the clones were looking a little funny so I checked and there it was again a tiny bit of that opaque/grey goopy bullshit... growing on the bottom of the cutting near the neoprene fitting.. the others dont seem to be affected at all so im not sure what gives

C

chytil151

In my cloner i just use R/O water temp'd to between 75 to 78f. I use the olivia's liquid now in the water, My first batch I used olivia's gel only because that's the only hormone I had on hand plus it would be washed into the water and sprayed from time to time onto the stems, but when i used the gel i noticed that some of the gel was trapped under the neoprine puck and the cutting's slowly wilted and began to get a slime on them then died. Since i have been using the liquid and un ph'd R/O water i have had a 100% clone rate. hope this helps marley.

I've been hearing that alot lately, to just use regular tap water and not bother PH'ing or adding any additives just the tap water, if for some terrible reason i lose another batch I guess that will be my next option

C

chytil151

I use R/O water the Ph is about 6.7 and i keep a rez. heater in the rez. at a constant temp. of 75 to 78f I see roots after about 5 to 6 days that way.

i went to my local hydro store where there is one guy who actually knows whats good, and he says my neoprene collars are probably holding mold because there taking on water, and that after 2-3 uses should be tossed especially if using bleach. not only have i been bleaching them everytime but it seems to make sense becuase this is my 5-6 run on them and i've only gotten these problems out of the blue
He was saying that if you can squeeze water out of it than that is probably the issue, so for now I picked up some rapid rooters to transfer over to and then in the future i might give the cloner another run with new collars

richyrich

Veteran
I've been hearing that alot lately, to just use regular tap water and not bother PH'ing or adding any additives just the tap water, if for some terrible reason i lose another batch I guess that will be my next option

Ph is not an issue at first, but once you see nubs growing from the cuts you do need to ph. Those nubs are the beginning of the roots and the, now, plant is ready to uptake nutes. If you don't ph, they are going to be locked out for nute uptake.

Only using agua shield (hydroguard) was bound for failure. This has already been touched on earlier in this thread. The only thing you need is properly made ewc tea. Advised to replenish every 3 days to keep up your super army of bene microbes to crush the slime.

The best cloning hormone is botanicare power clone solution. Not a gel, a liquid solution added to the cloner water. Probably similar to the olivias, but i'm not sure olivias contains any rooting hormone.

Ewc tea and botanicare power clone solution gave me the explosive results you see in my signature below in 5 days. This was after more than 2 years of chronic failure with my ez cloners.

richyrich

Veteran
I know that, I retained that from your post. Well, you are the first to report complete failure. I suggest you go to rockwool cloning. Pages back, I posted solid details on how to.

Only thing I can come up with is not using enough molassas.. i only got the foam the last time i ran it which I used more molassas then normal.. been using rapid rooters in the mean time, will go back to the cloner one day in the future maybe..

hopefully my buckets wont have the issues

Any more feedback from anyone else?

Maybe I wasnt getting enough aeration in my bucket that I was brewing my tea in.. its just a simple dual outlet pump with an airstone. Seemed to be a good bit of bubbles but maybe it wasnt adequate.

C

chytil151

hey richy how's things going? i Have all the ingredients for the EWC tea and instead of molasses i got AN's liquid carbo load was wondering if you or any1 know's how much i should add to 3 gallons of R/o water, 2cups of EWC to make the tea thanks in adavance

richyrich

Veteran
hey richy how's things going? i Have all the ingredients for the EWC tea and instead of molasses i got AN's liquid carbo load was wondering if you or any1 know's how much i should add to 3 gallons of R/o water, 2cups of EWC to make the tea thanks in adavance

I use the carbo load. Use 10-15mL. Here is another good tip. Add some Great White or Plant Success Soluble Mycorrhizae. They are powder form benes. Add them to the brew and they will multiply, too. You will have a super soldier brew.

richyrich

Veteran
Any more feedback from anyone else?

Maybe I wasnt getting enough aeration in my bucket that I was brewing my tea in.. its just a simple dual outlet pump with an airstone. Seemed to be a good bit of bubbles but maybe it wasnt adequate.

Sounds right. That pump is fine. I use a tiny one. Maybe buy a new bag of ewc from somewhere else. They could of been old; you never know. Something was off. Also, make sure to replenish every 3 days as a good rule of thumb. Make sure to sterilize all equipment real good before use. This is the most time consuming. Good luck. I recommend u clone mainly with RRs and do the cloner on the side until it works.

C

chytil151

ok so if I dont have the great white or plant success, will the carbo load be alright by itself? thatnks for the speedy answer :)

richyrich

Veteran
Yes, the other stuff is just a extra kick for the brew. You only need EWC, carbo load and an air stone. Brew 24 hours and ready to go. Should have some froth and an earthy smell when done.

So far thats what I have done, so hopefully all will go well next time.. are you slinging the ewc in something into the bucket? or just dumping the ewc straight into the water? The guy at the dro store might of been right, maybe my neoprene collars were shot and holding some mold even after bleaching etc.. said they shouldnt hold any water. So maybe with another EWC batch and my new collars it will work out.

And they were wiggle worm from the hydrostore, seem fresh and solid.. my plants that I gave the tea to seemed to love it.

richyrich

Veteran
So far thats what I have done, so hopefully all will go well next time.. are you slinging the ewc in something into the bucket? or just dumping the ewc straight into the water? The guy at the dro store might of been right, maybe my neoprene collars were shot and holding some mold even after bleaching etc.. said they shouldnt hold any water. So maybe with another EWC batch and my new collars it will work out.

And they were wiggle worm from the hydrostore, seem fresh and solid.. my plants that I gave the tea to seemed to love it.

EWC should be good I would think. Don't use bleach; use physan20 or H2O2. Possible for the old pucks to hold water at the point where they hold the cut and keep the cuts logged in stagnant water; causing cut stem to go limp and die. Just a guess.