What's new

Strange Slime buildup on roots

Ns1

Yes, it is easier. Kind a set it and forget it. With a beneficial microbe population I would feel inclined to re-populate often like my advice for the EZ Cloner. A little more work, but not exactly set and forget. I wanted to try both ways, anyhow.

Currently trying this out. 1/8 rooted so far, 6 days. Will update in a few days.

RR- Should I be topping off my cloner every 3 days? It's not exactly using up alot of water...I changed out the water yesterday (10 days, I let it bubble for 4 days before putting cuttings in)

richyrich

Out of the slime, finally.
Veteran
Currently trying this out. 1/8 rooted so far, 6 days. Will update in a few days.

RR- Should I be topping off my cloner every 3 days? It's not exactly using up alot of water...I changed out the water yesterday (10 days, I let it bubble for 4 days before putting cuttings in)

You don't have to top up. Just add a little EWC tea to replenish the beneficial microbe population. When cloning, I found that I don't have to prime first. Next time, don't bother waiting 4 days. 3 days is a good frequency to replenish the microbes.

Ns1

You don't have to top up. Just add a little EWC tea to replenish the beneficial microbe population. When cloning, I found that I don't have to prime first. Next time, don't bother waiting 4 days. 3 days is a good frequency to replenish the microbes.

cool, thanks.

2/8 now =D

However, wouldn't adding mollasses or something have the same effect as adding more microbes?

Also, have you tried superthrive with EWC? lol or are the 2 products not compatible?

richyrich

Veteran
Keep it simple with the ewc tea. 3 gallons of RO water. Add 1-2 cups of ewc and just a tad of molasses and that is it. Do not add humic acids or kelp. It is food for the microbes including the slime.

Do not add any molasses (food) to the cloner. You only want to add a couple of cups of ewc tea every 3rd day to replenish. Do not feed the microbes within, just replace them. The food could of been your problem. Always clean your unit with Physan20. I add power cloner solution made by botanicare to the water and away it goes. That is it.

Do not add slime food. No experience with superthrive.

Ns1

RR-

Thanks for the advice on the bene's. The bubble cloner seems to be working great, and is at least 2x faster than the perlite wick cloner.

rich... seems like your the only guy on the planet using that uv sterilizer for hydro.. i've searched around on all kinds of forums and never seen anyon really mention of it or use it.. but the aquarium guys love it. Cant wait to be the next to give it whirl..

richyrich

Veteran
Update:

I pulled the UV sterilizer out of my hydro system. I am going to go the beneficial route half way into this grow as I mentioned I might do earlier.

Previously, I posted that I brought on a case of root rot (pythium) upon myself by leaving the water pump unplugged for a while. Some roots dried up and died and the root rot took a foot hold. I have been keeping it away with SM-90 and H2O2. The combo works great, but I have to keep adding it to the rez every so often. I already know the UV keeps the slime away and that was what I wanted to find out.

I have already cleaned the rez and added benes with the microbe housing unit I built from a previous post I shared. We will see how it goes. I expect the same results as I have found in the EZ Cloner.

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
rich... seems like your the only guy on the planet using that uv sterilizer for hydro.. i've searched around on all kinds of forums and never seen anyon really mention of it or use it.. but the aquarium guys love it. Cant wait to be the next to give it whirl..

I still have mine too but haven't felt the need to use it. The crop I rescued from slime a few pages back is on day 53 of flower and the beneficials (Aquashield and Subculture-M) have worked great. I guess the UV is good to have stored for future use though.

you said that the sunleaves one doesnt require any kind of water pump and only air.. so im thinking the flow may not be so adequate over the light so maybe thats why pythium was able to take hold but i doubt it

not knocking your knowledge at all but i think the reason you had problems after the roots died was not any biological problems like pythium but just a straight up lack of oxygen as the dead matter consumed all the o2.

i plan to drop 2 bills and pick up the novologics 14w uvc that works as an inline filter since my system is recirculating

http://www.ultrateck.net/hydroponics.html

richyrich

Veteran
i plan to drop 2 bills and pick up the novologics 14w uvc that works as an inline filter since my system is recirculating

http://www.ultrateck.net/hydroponics.html

NovoLogics Ultraviolet treatment also photo=oxidizes and destroys combined chlorine and chlorine byproducts such as chloramines and other toxic organic pollutants including bad odors.

Installation: Simply install on your feed water inlet - before any nutrient injection systems. Remember this is a UV broad spectrum sterilizer - not a simple plastic UV clarifier which only gets rid of green water. Novologics all Stainless Steel UV Sterilizer clears green water and completely destroys all bacteria, fungi and other disease causing organisms and actually purifies the water to human drinking water levels.

One of the biggest problems in hydroponic plant production is the bacteria and fungi in the feed water which quickly multiply and can even destroy a crop within a matter of hours or days. Now you can have the assurance that the treated water is free of disease causing organisms.

That right there in bold sets this unit apart. Looks like a really good one to get.

richyrich

Veteran
Remember that to transfer from one surface to another not all of these cells will first pass through the UV, and once a root ball is colonized, with no BB colony already to out compete it, it will spread regardless of a uv filter. Lets say you are right that it prevents it ever getting a foothold, well then thats like walking on thin ice in my opinion. A strong BB colony on the roots is fully protects - and against other problems like pythium too.

This is why the self inflicted pythium will not go away. The UV does not offer protection to my roots that are above the rez in a seperate flood tray. The pythium started on the dead dried out roots and spread to colonize itself to the entire root mass. It is clinging to the roots so it will never make itself to the rez to be zapped by the UV. I wasn't planning on getting pythium, but mistakes happen. Don't get pythium and the UV should take you all the way. The reason UV works for the slime is because it likes to colonize itself in a water environment like a rez. With a UV going in the rez, no slime as I have documented.

Carboy

Some of the confusion about UVs being used w/ koi etc. could use a little more explanation. In water gardening/ koi raising, they don't care about killing all the algae. What they are trying to do is CLARIFY --- that is knock out enough to see their fish. UVs are rated by clarifying and STERILIZING ratings. ie the 8 watt Aqua UV that i use will clarify up to 2000 gallons, but will sterilize only 1/10 of that or 200 gallons. There is usually a listing for max flow to achieve the rating. Don't think any of us would go over that flow rate anyway.

Saw some nice units at Lowes in the outdoor/pond section. Very reasonable too. UVs separate or combined w/ a pump. Plus replacement bulbs (which should be replaced yearly on about all units, if you are running them continually)

Hope this helps -------- CB

richyrich

Veteran
Some of the confusion about UVs being used w/ koi etc. could use a little more explanation. In water gardening/ koi raising, they don't care about killing all the algae. What they are trying to do is CLARIFY --- that is knock out enough to see their fish. UVs are rated by clarifying and STERILIZING ratings. ie the 8 watt Aqua UV that i use will clarify up to 2000 gallons, but will sterilize only 1/10 of that or 200 gallons. There is usually a listing for max flow to achieve the rating. Don't think any of us would go over that flow rate anyway.

Saw some nice units at Lowes in the outdoor/pond section. Very reasonable too. UVs separate or combined w/ a pump. Plus replacement bulbs (which should be replaced yearly on about all units, if you are running them continually)

Hope this helps -------- CB

Yes, very important. Make sure you are getting a sterilizing unit.

richyrich

Veteran
Installation: Simply install on your feed water inlet - before any nutrient injection systems. Remember this is a UV broad spectrum sterilizer - not a simple plastic UV clarifier which only gets rid of green water. Novologics all Stainless Steel UV Sterilizer clears green water and completely destroys all bacteria, fungi and other disease causing organisms and actually purifies the water to human drinking water levels.

This is a re-post. I had bolded the essential part but did not explain.

Carboy

Yes, very important. Make sure you are getting a sterilizing unit.

The sterilizer and clarifier are really the same unit.... just be sure to size it right for your rez volume. A good 15 watt UV will sterilize 500 gallons w/ a large (10 gal/min 600gal/hr) flow rate. Real easy to get into the overkill area pretty quick.

CB

Longhair

It's Algae. It's A Living Plant That Will Eat & Suck Your Plants To Death. I Know I Just Lost 3 White Widows. It's From To Much Light Getting To The Resevior & Warm Water! Block All Light I Mean ALL Light! I Painted Mine Black 3 Coats Before I Could See No Light. Change Your Clear Tubing For Black. Put Covers Over Your Net Pots etc.

Good Luck!
Longhair

Merfolk

Buying a 10$ bottle of Physan 20 - 16 oz., hoping this helps my Aero cloning process, ive got 6 clones out of 60, when i feel the coord in the water, its deff slimy, and my stems are brown/rotted, Temps are good, so im hoping this prodoct will increase my % rate.

Already ordered, will update soon.

Latest posts

Latest posts