What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Strange mold inside body plant

Hi there to all,
long time no writing here , good to be back

Today while harvesting I found a strange thing that never happen to me.

While breaking a branch in order to cut away some.leaf, I saw that the internal part of the plant was looking oddly black, I smell that stuff and reminds me about mushroom,

the plant was tall and have a good structure but was heavily affected on production and after seeing that I understood why.

had ever happened to you guys? ?
should I be worried or trying to disinfect the soil in order to proceed next year?

I had 3/4 plant on the total that contract this kind of stuff, the one I took the picture was the baddest one, but on other I can clearly see how it burns out entire branch, like very dried out and nothing could be saved, you cannot see mold from the outside, it just look dried out.

i was honestly thinking that was a work made by those worm who can drill inside the plant and nest them, and I also found some of them here and there, but the mold was a different thing much more potent of the damage that that little guy can bring.

Attaching some pic to let you see
Thanks in advance !
peace

Attachments

• 20211001_182549.jpg
    20211001_182549.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 20211001_164924.jpg
    20211001_164924.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 20211001_182540.jpg
    20211001_182540.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 20211001_164505.jpg
    20211001_164505.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 54

Subu

I wouldn't smell that stuff.. Won't be good for your health

Also surely the flowers are contaminated..

troutman

Seed Whore
Eurasian hemp borer I think. Make sure you get rid of all plant stalks,etc. Burn them if you can.

The Eurasian hemp borer (Eurasian hemp moth, hemp borer) is currently found east of the Rockies and has become a prevalent pest in eastern Colorado. It has become a major pest in outdoor hemp and cannabis cultivation sites, causing stem girdling at the base of buds that leads to wilt (leaf flagging) and death. This is most concerning for growers of flower buds and developing seeds as it stunts production. Since most damage is caused by stalk tunneling where the pest is protected, prevention is key to managing Eurasian hemp borers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChxvxtuwE6A

I wouldn't smell that stuff.. Won't be good for your health

Also surely the flowers are contaminated..

Hi subu, no the flower are not contaminated, and it's not a mold due to high humidity standard, ( here it have not been raining for the last 2 month nearly)
I think is a mix between the eurasian larvae that surely doesn't help the situation, and some strange fungi that probably have been passed from a near tree to my plants,

I was asking because I never see something like this before, maybe I would also post a pic of how one of them turn out badly so.you all can understand good.

Koondense

Veteran
It's a stem borer, hopefully your plant can finish early enough before dying. Usually these pests can kill the plant quite fast.
Good luck

therevverend

Veteran
Wow those look awful, glad they aren't where I'm at. There's quite a few types of borers, corn borers and such, but I think troutman is right and those are Hemp Borers. They were introduced into the USA in 1943 and can be find across Eurasia. There's even a kind in Pakistan that will only consume ganja, the kinds in Europe will also attack hops. Not only do they chew through stalks but they'll devour seedlings, leaves, and buds, especially the seeds. All it takes is 10 larvae to cripple a plant. The Drug War freaks considered the hemp borer 'an excellent biocontrol weapon'. No idea if they were actually weaponized and released. In the USA there's quite a few natural predators that usually keep them in check.

The rot looks like charcoal rot, no doubt caused by the hemp borers. I'd burn the stalks and disinfect any seeds with peroxide or alcohol. It probably won't be back next year unless introduced by the hemp borers again. There's quite a few biocontrols you can use. For instance Trichoderma lignorum can be introduced into the soil. It can attack seedlings but for larger root hardened plants it needs a wound to enter, for example the borers.

Deep autumn ploughing can make things difficult for hemp borer larvae overwintering in the ground. Eliminating stand of feral hemp or weeds nearby can be useful. Trichogramma wasps can control early infestations with over 50% efficiency. Quite a few types of flies and wasps will eat them up. The moths are weak fliers. You can hang traps to catch them. Botanical sprays seem to work, stuff like nicotine, neem, rotenone, and ryania. Sumithrin, a pyrethroid, seems to be effective. The pesticides only work before the larvae penetrate the stalks. Once they get in there the spray is useless. Female sex hormones have been used to lure and trap the males.

Latest posts

Latest posts