Really great thread.
We have to explore to more the genetics origins of
differents cannabis landraces to better know the
actual interactions.
It can be visual and scientifical evidences but we have
to try a little more.
It would be a good idea to make a conservative's bank for
cannabis genetics. It were a place where all people can
send seeds to conserve for the future of the species.
Make a bank to conserve all the originals genetics in pure
form to keep the biodiversity.
If some have interest in it, please contact me.
I don't know how to be contact here cause i am new but
i am sure someone gonna tell me how.
Love and preservation.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Really great thread.
We have to explore to more the genetics origins of
differents cannabis landraces to better know the
actual interactions.
It can be visual and scientifical evidences but we have
to try a little more.
It would be a good idea to make a conservative's bank for
cannabis genetics. It were a place where all people can
send seeds to conserve for the future of the species.
Make a bank to conserve all the originals genetics in pure
form to keep the biodiversity.
If some have interest in it, please contact me.
I don't know how to be contact here cause i am new but
i am sure someone gonna tell me how.
Love and preservation.

Thanks,

There are a few collectives that I'm aware of, dedicated to landrace preservation. They rely mostly on constant reproductions of the available seedstock and spreading the seeds around, we've already seen some rare strains make a comeback within the recent years.

It would of course be nice to have a cannabis seedbank similar to the one on Svalbard with cannabis landraces conserved deep frozen for future generations. Closest thing to that I would imagine are the private collections of oldschool breeders like Shanti or Skunkman, even some seedbank owners like Gypsy and Arjan.

Right for all, except the last one. Arjan.
I think he is not so interested in divesity
but much more in rentability.
This is the gay which, one day, will sell all
his stuff just for more money.
I think that it is just not the same mind, goal.
You know what i say.

RandyCalifornia

Well endowed member
Veteran
Right for all, except the last one. Arjan.
I think he is not so interested in divesity
but much more in rentability.
This is the gay which, one day, will sell all
his stuff just for more money.
I think that it is just not the same mind, goal.
You know what i say.

Wait...what? I thought he was the "King Of Cannabis"
lol

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
I've read thru some of Franco's articles on landraces in search of some useful info (there is some!) and he clearly states that the guy has a landrace collection. What he does with it, I don't know.

Some Nebraska ditchweed to keep it interesting:

photo-3-thumb-400x533.jpeg
photo-15-thumb-540x720.jpeg

photo-2-thumb-400x368.jpeg

link

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
They're supposedly a crossbreed of Chinese and European strains and I think I'm seeing some 'chinensis' traits in the first pic. I've never grown a Chinese plant so this is only based on observing pictures. I just got a baggy full of big fat chinensis seeds so there will be some comparative anatomy next summer!

It is worth noting that these Nebraska plants look nothing like their domestic ancestors, just look at the branching! I don't think it takes cannabis dozens of generations to revert back to the wild form.

MOJO Bx

:smoke:Personally I don't think you guys are anywhere near the right time frame :smoke: But then again I am a fan of Graham Hancock. But what I mean by my statement is there is a growing popularity with the idea that the pyramids and the one with the most evidence is the the Great Sphinx are much much older than Than what "Egyptologist"claim. And there are many cave paintings depicting the herb.So any evidence claiming it began around the biblical time frame i have a serious problem with.And if that's wrong then the origins stated can only be wrong .Not trying to start an argument as I am a newb on this site;but this thread caught my attention enough that I sat here and read all of it at once.But sorry for the long rant but my guess would be northern africa around 20,000-40,000 years ago.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
:smoke:Personally I don't think you guys are anywhere near the right time frame :smoke: But then again I am a fan of Graham Hancock. But what I mean by my statement is there is a growing popularity with the idea that the pyramids and the one with the most evidence is the the Great Sphinx are much much older than Than what "Egyptologist"claim. And there are many cave paintings depicting the herb.So any evidence claiming it began around the biblical time frame i have a serious problem with.And if that's wrong then the origins stated can only be wrong .Not trying to start an argument as I am a newb on this site;but this thread caught my attention enough that I sat here and read all of it at once.But sorry for the long rant but my guess would be northern africa around 20,000-40,000 years ago.

Hi MOJO Bx, thanks for the interest

I do follow Hancocks work and I try my best to keep up to date with the latest research, not excluding the less popular views on ancient history.

I don't know if I've nailed down any particular time frame in this thread yet, I'm still building up a case here. :)

It's really hard to go beyond the last ice age, rising sea levels and glaciers having destroyed most signs of civilization (if there was any) millenia ago. That's why I'm trying to piece together what happened within the last 10.000 years or so, during "our" time, or our known ancestors.

oldchuck

Veteran
Re: the ditch weed photos.

I don't think we're seeing a reversion to the "wild form" in those very interesting photos. Cannabis grown for different purposes is cultivated in different ways. I understand the mid American ditch weed comes from fiber hemp from the 1940s. Fiber hemp seed varieties are planted very close together forcing tall dense stem growth. The picture shows a single open grown plant allowed to branch laterally. Hemp varieties grown for seed oil are planted more open to encourage more seed sites. You can see the same sort of thing with most trees. Open grown produces branches. Tight stands produce tall, straight stems.

I am not sure there is such a thing as "wild cannabis." I think it is like corn. The wild ancestor of corn is so different from the cultivated versions that controversy still exists over just what that ancestor was.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Re: the ditch weed photos.

I don't think we're seeing a reversion to the "wild form" in those very interesting photos. Cannabis grown for different purposes is cultivated in different ways. I understand the mid American ditch weed comes from fiber hemp from the 1940s. Fiber hemp seed varieties are planted very close together forcing tall dense stem growth. The picture shows a single open grown plant allowed to branch laterally. Hemp varieties grown for seed oil are planted more open to encourage more seed sites. You can see the same sort of thing with most trees. Open grown produces branches. Tight stands produce tall, straight stems.

I am not sure there is such a thing as "wild cannabis." I think it is like corn. The wild ancestor of corn is so different from the cultivated versions that controversy still exists over just what that ancestor was.

Lack of branching in cannabis is genetic, and the genes are dominant. A hemp plant will not brach even in open space, they were bred that way. I'll post pictures to elaborate, come summer.

Oil strains aren't branchy either, apart from Himalayan and SE Asian multipurpose strains.

Naturally seeded finola oil hemp

1040123.jpg

That's pretty much what they do in open gound. After a few generations without selective pressure for a straight stalk branching will start appearing. How many generations? I'm about to find out ;)

oldchuck

Veteran
That's pretty much what they do in open gound. After a few generations without selective pressure for a straight stalk branching will start appearing. How many generations? I'm about to find out ;)

How will you do that?

Is that your hemp field?

The Hatter

Veteran
Hi everyone and specially Thule!

New user pops along to this cool thread!
I got these interesting seeds and now I am too curious that what is behind these traits. These are second generation seeds grown from the ones given by streetplayer indians propably from Peruvian.
Brand new seeds are a little bigger and lighter brown than the originals that I got first.
Seeds are small ass you can see in the pic, so are plants. Some got purple stems and little wider leaves than one in a pictuer. Those phenos got very dark and tiny seeds.
So please have a look:

View Image
Seeds are just piked from 9 weeks old plant given no dark period att all.
These sativas do autofower! I guess this might be a landrace.
Odour is nice and mild. There in not so much resin so I hope that these are not ditchweed!!

The lady
View Image
View Image

Can anyone tell what this is? Why would autoflower exist near equator?

This entire thread is full of great information but I am particularly interested in Purrpura's amazing auto-flowering mystery strain that is purported to have come from Peru.

A tropical land race sativa that auto flowers is a true rarity in this world. The only other one I have ever heard of is some Zamal lines.

Think of the breeding potential this strain has for auto flowering projects. People have been making autos using what is essentially ruderalis ditch weed as a base for the auto trait. Although only a smoke test will tell, I imagine this peruvian strain, if it really is from there, would make a much better candidate for breeding new autos than any ruderalis.

To answer your question about the auto-flower trait, it's just a guess but it is possible that since there is so little variation in the seasons where it came from that a plant has no real need to tie its flowering cycle to finishing before the winter arrives. In other words it might as well just flower when it is sexually mature enough to do so. I wonder if auto flowering is a common trait for equatorial plants in general. I should go look it up. -shrug-

I would love to hear how this turned out. What were the effects like in the end?

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
This entire thread is full of great information but I am particularly interested in Purrpura's amazing auto-flowering mystery strain that is purported to have come from Peru.

A tropical land race sativa that auto flowers is a true rarity in this world. The only other one I have ever heard of is some Zamal lines.

Think of the breeding potential this strain has for auto flowering projects. People have been making autos using what is essentially ruderalis ditch weed as a base for the auto trait. Although only a smoke test will tell, I imagine this peruvian strain, if it really is from there, would make a much better candidate for breeding new autos than any ruderalis.

To answer your question about the auto-flower trait, it's just a guess but it is possible that since there is so little variation in the seasons where it came from that a plant has no real need to tie its flowering cycle to finishing before the winter arrives. In other words it might as well just flower when it is sexually mature enough to do so. I wonder if auto flowering is a common trait for equatorial plants in general. I should go look it up. -shrug-

I would love to hear how this turned out. What were the effects like in the end?

Purppura isn't around that much but he gifted me some seeds a few years ago. The plants flower at 35-40 days of age, but are not photoperiod neutral and can be triggered earlier. This has lead me to believe they might be closer to an early flowerer than a true autoflower. They do however flower in a 24/0 lighting, so in that sense they are autoflowers.

Not much going on in the potency department, very little resin and little odour. I do however like the mellow sativa buzz they deliver and have been working on a bunch of crosses. Lots of crosses tbh. ;) There's now a quarter of ethiopian highland in the mix. The next one will be Ciskei x Peru which I will take to the f2 stage.

So if they cross like a true autoflower, we are about to find out. Only an exprerimental cross will give us the answers. If the offspring follows the typical pattern and gives 25% autoflower we can conclude it's a true autoflower. On the other hand it would raise even more questions about the origins.. Mexican ruderalis anyone?

There's alot to say about this strain but I should have a lot more information after growing out the crosses this summer. Stay tuned!

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
How will you do that?

Is that your hemp field?

Simply by growing the plants separately. That will change the selective pressure and eventually allow more branching to develope.

Nope, not my field, just some pictures I googled. But I do know whose it is.

Last edited:

Rinse

Veteran
Purppura isn't around that much but he gifted me some seeds a few years ago. The plants flower at 35-40 days of age, but are not photoperiod neutral and can be triggered earlier. This has lead me to believe they might be closer to an early flowerer than a true autoflower. They do however flower in a 24/0 lighting, so in that sense they are autoflowers.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=10359&pictureid=739647View Image

Not much going on in the potency department, very little resin and little odour. I do however like the mellow sativa buzz they deliver and have been working on a bunch of crosses. Lots of crosses tbh. ;) There's now a quarter of ethiopian highland in the mix. The next one will be Ciskei x Peru which I will take to the f2 stage.

So if they cross like a true autoflower, we are about to find out. Only an exprerimental cross will give us the answers. If the offspring follows the typical pattern and gives 25% autoflower we can conclude it's a true autoflower. On the other hand it would raise even more questions about the origins.. Mexican ruderalis anyone?

There's alot to say about this strain but I should have a lot more information after growing out the crosses this summer. Stay tuned!

Good stuff man, very interesting strains, both the eth and ciskei should be great crossings to the peru, ciskei for a short potent early sativa, and the eth perhaps a larger plant closer to the more subtle peru buzz.

TonyGreenHand

Great thread thule!

Here is a durban I'm trying for the first time, it has leaves just like the ones pictured in the first few pages, but also has pink pistils.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Good stuff man, very interesting strains, both the eth and ciskei should be great crossings to the peru, ciskei for a short potent early sativa, and the eth perhaps a larger plant closer to the more subtle peru buzz.

I hope they will gain some weight as well. Peru is a poor yielder, being so tiny and fluffy. I think I'll germinate a few of the Ethiopianized ones right away, they might be late flowering..

TonyGreenHand,

That's a purty Durban you got there! Best of luck!