What's new

Strains that taste good with just drying..

M

Mr.23

Hello all,

After just harvesting some triple platinum that needs some curing to get the hay smell out, I was reading about someone mentioning about cindy99 tasting good smooth and sweet after the chop and getting better with cure. I was wondering if any of ya know of strains that taste good after the chop and dry without needing the cure to taste good.. (of course that does not mean that it cant improve with some curing)... also would anyone know if pre98bubba and sour bubble falls in this category??
Thanks!! :tiphat:

Last edited:

sir alex

big budda blu cheese

big budda blu cheese

uk cheese you cant beat it for quick dry and you get flavours.... even though its not my cup of tea

M

Mr.23

Thanks Hiding! Thats one syrain that I have yet to grow but has been in my radar. So it taste better just after the dry?

M

Mr.23

Thanks mack and alex.

Im In cali but does it stink like cheese?
I hate stinky cheese.. sorry lol stinky parmessian
Makes me gag.. but if its fruity or something then we talking! But for those that do like the cheese then this is a good option..

Sweet tooth tastes great as soon as it's dry. It gets smoother with a cure but the fruity pebbles taste is there very strong as soon as it's smokable.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I dry the plants whole without cutting any leaves or branches. Takes around 6 or 7 days to dry that way and they are ready to smoke at that point. I am in a dry area so....

They do get better in the jar after a month but not much difference really. Any strain should be good to smoke if you dry it slow.

M

Mr.23

So so far og kush, c99, sweettooth and cheese. Any others? To me the triple platinum does not fall in this category.. how bout old scool strains like skunk#1, northern lights, or gdp.....????

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
it depends how you grow it. if its starved/faded out nicely by the time you harvest then curing doent make much difference as long as its dried slow and properly. perhaps a week or so in the jar will help but i prefer all my cuts pretty fresh really. (grown organically)

VG

Brelva

I tried a few different freshly dried Strawberry Cough crosses a couple weeks ago and they all tasted delicious right out the gates.

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
I don't know if I prefer OG fresh, but it certainly tastes great fresh anyway. OG just dry tastes better than 95% of other strains cured!

I personally like it better right off the tree, the taste is much more fresh and clean like a pine lemon cleaner, after cure it seems to mellow out to a more dill/fuel type taste, not so fresh and clean but what I would consider a mouth staining flavor as the flavor lingers long after smoking.

I never really have a problem smoking just about anything right after it's dry. I also don't like buds that have been cured for over 6 months. From drying to 3 months tops is about perfect.

Bubba I do think is one of those strains that tastes better after a bit of a cure, the dense hashy nugs take some time to dry to perfection. And that rich creamy smoke is best when just the right amount of moisture left in the buds.

SourDank

Veteran
Bio-Diesel REEKS immediately. Yea the cure just makes the smell and taste that much stronger but after the cure it smells thru mason jars. Just off the plant it smells just like the daywrecker clone, just skunky fuel. Absolutely incredible.

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
Some varieties need some curing time even if they finish faded/starved. Others do not. That might suggest the variation is more likely attributed to the variety itself (genetics) and not the way in which it was grown.

Fresh is best, IMHO. After they are properly dried I find most buds are best consumed within 2-4 months of harvest. For what it's worth, I've tried a number of different curing methods and keep coming back to fresh is best. I don't think it is a coincidence that when I am first growing a new variety and find that it needs curing time after harvest it often ends up tossed a grow or two later.

If it needs curing time I take that as a sign it's not quite up to par and often that turns out be the case, not always but often. This happens more often than chance would suggest so perhaps I'm on to something.

I think the entire notion of curing is overstated at best and at worst shows how thoroughly ingrained certain aspects of cannabis dogma are. Just because some Mexican farmer cured tons of bud under the sun 30 years ago doesn't mean you should, too. Drying is the important part, not curing.

As for stuff that doesn't need much or any curing... I'm going to forget or overlook some stuff so this is by no means a definitive list. Just what I can gather off the top o' my head...

Sour Diesel, SFV OG Kush, Super Skunk, Chem Sour, Cecil's Cush, Golden Goat, Pure Kush, Lucifer OG, NL5xHaze, Stardawg, S99, Sour Bubba, Strawberry Cough, O's Blueberry, Underdawg Diesel, GSC Forum, Mango Haze, ChemD x Herijuana, Double Thai, Jackberry, Super Silver Haze, and Pure Afghan just to name a few.

RoadRash

Next Gen. Romulan, Vintage 2004.

I had a plant grown from their Romulan seeds, her buds smelled like Playdough. Playdough Rom.

What was memorable was smoking some that had been drying about 5 days, right before going to the beach.

I think that was the most "smoke-ready" Cannabis that I've had.