What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Strains that Take Longer to Dry - More Potent ?

St. Phatty

I was wondering if the Brain Trust here has noticed any relationship between drying time & potency.

When I see a bud that looks 'Done', with all its fall colors, I sometimes clip it and put it on top of a 250 watt ballast, in the Veg. Room.

Anyway, I did that a week ago with a Dinafem CBD.

It's not dry yet !

Usually I gauge this by the 'snap-crackle-pop' test - bend the stalk holding a bud-let in place. When it's ready, it snaps. Not super-dry, but dry enough for a test smoke.

Anyway, it makes me wonder if you have noticed any relationship between potency & dry time.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dry time...
not necessarily.

Cure time could make a significant difference, however.

Id say every strain is different but I'll go further and say...

Every plant is different.

Cannavore

Veteran
If you're putting it on top of something its going to dry unevenly. Buds should dry hanging, and if that isn't possible, on a breathable screen or something like a window screen.

Is there a purpose to drying on top of a bulb? Why can't you put it somewhere dark with moderate temps and 40-50% humidity and active air flow? A week or so and you'll be good for jars.

I seriously doubt theres any correlation between potency and drying times. Curing time can and will change the bud though.

St. Phatty

Brain Trust
ha ha ha ha ha

Truly, there's more wisdom here than in the corporate conference rooms of Big Pharma. :tiphat:

If you're putting it on top of something its going to dry unevenly. Buds should dry hanging, and if that isn't possible, on a breathable screen or something like a window screen.

Is there a purpose to drying on top of a bulb? Why can't you put it somewhere dark with moderate temps and 40-50% humidity and active air flow? A week or so and you'll be good for jars.

I dry it on the ballast. It's barely warmer than room temp.

Generally I like hang-dry too. Got some hang-drying started in the flowering room. :woohoo:

Maybe I didn't make clear, the bud I'm drying is an 'early pick'.

The top bud looked very done, but the lower buds had some life. Cut the rest of the plant a day or 2 ago.

I didn't expect the main bud to be done on the same timeline as a 'nugget' bud. But there's 2 nugget buds on the stalk that I cut, they're the one's I check to see if they snap. Still pliable.

Just got to be patient, watch Sons of Anarchy, and enjoy my 6 month old buds while I wait for the new meds.

Basically scouring the cupboards for DECENT BUD & waiting. :huggg:

Latest posts

Latest posts