What's new

Strains in Jeopardy

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Many collectives and breeders have rejected hybridized genetics in recent years, in favour of heirloom/land race ibls. Once maintained however many have crossed these ibls together to create totally new hybrids, some will then inbreed these new genetics.

Many (not all) of the heritage seed guardians are isolated in their own environment and keep them selves to themselves... underground. Some for security reasons and others in the name of preservation, not self-glory. They are out there,, and doing an excellent job of preserving genetics for future generations of growers. Jah bless them!

IMO its a question of maintaining the balance that already exists within the community. It all depends on what growers/breeders objectives are.

Peace n flowers

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Some breeders work on maintaining genetics,, others work on innovating them. So long as someone is doing both , then it's all positive. Peace

this sums it up.

Its kinda like people, all the different races are combining, and Ive been seeing a lot more attractive mixed girls than girls of one race..... So by combining things this world has to offer we usually come up with something better. The best of all worlds so to speak...

Throwgar

Who cares if these older strains are not around anymore. We have something that is a multitude better. Clone only strains. Grow out a Green Crack cutting and you might not be so synical. If you think it's all the same, go any buy some DJ short seeds, and you'll smoke some bud that's nothing like anything you've ever had. Not saying that it's better, just unique.

Blue Dream? FANTASTIC! Grandad Purple? WTF??? Is that weeeeed? Then there's all of the Deisels, a little overplayed, but still fantastic in the mix. Try mixing your favorites together, there's always something new to try there, it's like jelly bellies.

Me thinks another pot snob has been born. Possibly you should take a break so that you appreciate this fucking awesome plant we like to share so much.

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
Its kinda like people, all the different races are combining, and Ive been seeing a lot more attractive mixed girls than girls of one race..... So by combining things this world has to offer we usually come up with something better. The best of all worlds so to speak...

I lol'ed at this so hard... for so many reasons.

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

T

THE PABLOS

...I'm not wasting time preserving anything. What a bad way to spend my time. Move on.

Clones are about as lame as they are self serving....and most the old "landraces" were a cluster fuck of genetics that had to be sorted through in order to make them worth a shit. It was done....why keep keep flogging a dead horse? Decades have passed...since western cannabis drug cultivation got serious.... decades are nothing in plant evolution.

Nothing is watered down...it is meant to change....cannabis is an annual by design. If anything is watered down....it is mind sets.

DRorganic

Veteran
because its all you ever hear diesel this and chem that. blue or colored bud that all it gives you is a head ache .but its nice to look at. or flavored bud that taste like some sort of fruit but week as hell .if your in it for the flavor and that's it .and not the medical benefits then you are growing for the young kids to sell to because thats what the bottom line is money .
you are a ass wip.

Dr_Tre

Who cares if these older strains are not around anymore. We have something that is a multitude better. Clone only strains.

I laughed my ass at that.:pointlaug
Dude, you ain't going anywhere with clone only and hybrids of hybrids of the same old strains.

Throwgar

I laughed my ass at that.:pointlaug
Dude, you ain't going anywhere with clone only and hybrids of hybrids of the same old strains.

You seem to have ignored the bit about growing out seed for genetic variety. If you want to sort through 10,000 different phenos for the next big strain, be my guest, but you're not going to get anything new of high quality without numbers.

Is the human race watered down because there is no more isolation? Whenever a species enters a new niche and is sucessful, variety expands. Look at the domestic dog, the most varied species on the planet, with it's multitude of forms.

If you think cannabis has gotten less varied over time, then you aren't looking hard enough.

I think you should take a lesson in genetics. Genetics is a sum game. A species history is written in their genetics. With enough work, you can ALWAYS work back to any strain in the entire lineage. You can always add more, but the history will always be there.

This does not mean that some varieties aren't around anymore, terminal nodes to their branch, but it does mean that everything good that defines the plant as cannabis will be preserved in the genes.

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
That is what ticks me off as well. I did get feds romulan and had it and it is in many of my own crosses BUT like a dumb ass I let my mom grow to "try new stuff out" and now all I have is some solid romulan crosses BUT miss the original OR at least as original as fed had it. don't really want to get into the backcross debate and next gen this and that lol.

Kindbudkid :thank you: for making my point exactly, I wish I had the sense to grab a pack from Federation of Romulan back in 2000(10 years back HOLY FUCK I am showing my age) before it became WATERED DOWN...what do you think is happening with the new flavour of the month Kush...watered down...soon you won;t be able to get a pure unadulterated OG Kush strain..it will be crossed with Haze or a Indica type strain to increase yields which will decrease potency...It always happens WATERED DOWN GENETICS...

and due to the fact the people only use and depend on clones and if they trade they give each others diseases and are never able to keep the clone so they lose the strain...IF YOU MAKE F2;s or inbreed once you keep the genes you hold so dear and create a more stable strain..eventual created an IBL if you so choose...

ps GOOD LUCK FINDING A ROAD KILL SKUNK THESE DAYS just to prove my point..or for that matter try finding a real true original Northern Lights its all crossed and re-crossed and the ORIGINAL is gone FOREVER

peace
Chefboy

That is what ticks me off as well. I did get feds romulan and had it and it is in many of my own crosses BUT like a dumb ass I let my mom grow to "try new stuff out" and now all I have is some solid romulan crosses BUT miss the original OR at least as original as fed had it. don't really want to get into the backcross debate and next gen this and that lol.
I picked up some romulan x rom max from Classic Seeds off the 'Bay. Classic bred it from fed stock so I hope i get a great Rom pheno. :pimp3:

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran
Chefboy.....Well, since my name got mentioned...and not at all in a good way by you....a rather bold call out....perhaps I should take a moment of my time to attempt to enlighten you. I'm probably wasting my keystrokes...but I've a few minutes to entertain you.

Cinderella99 (original genetics created by Bros. Grimm) (a cubed version of Princess) has not been available from Bros. Grimm since they dissolved the co and went their separate ways. DGS was commissioned by Gypsy to return C99 to his private line-up...and DGS obliged by selecting parent stock from original Bros. Grimm seeds...this is the closest those who wish to have C99 in their garden can get, sans the very few people who might have stashed a pack or two from the original Bros Grimm release from over 7 years ago. So if what I did with C99 is considered watering it down by you....then you need to study up on marijuana botany.

I've had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Soul...and he's had the pleasure of toking on some C99 grown by me, with him giving his approval to the C99 genetics I originally started in 2003 as being representative of his and Sly's original creation....iow...proper selections were made that originated from their seeds.

DGS is soon to release DTC99 f2 for the same reason.....it's not available and has not been available from Bros. Grimm for about the same length of time as C99. DTC99 f2 is the first step being taken in a DTC99 preservation project by DGS.

Merlin's Magic I created from an unworked Acapulco Gold line from seeds obtained in Mexico....and I've made some interesting F1 hybrids along the way too...so if you think your opinion here literally taking a shite on me actually bothers me...it doesn't....but your lack of botanical knowledge is rather amusing.

When you have 4 yrs of college botany and horticultural science behind you, and have bothered to read Marijuana Botany a few times, I'll be happy to debate how utterly silly your first post is...until then, it's just an opinion from someone with less than a full understanding of the intricacies of genetics. Maybe you think Punnet Square is a place in Idaho? :biglaugh:

In all seriousness, what I...or any breeder...does will never please everyone all of the time. Perhaps that's one reason why there are so many interesting flavors and improved combinations available today.

:ying:

metameric

Chefboy.....Well, since my name got mentioned...and not at all in a good way by you....a rather bold call out....perhaps I should take a moment of my time to attempt to enlighten you. I'm probably wasting my keystrokes...but I've a few minutes to entertain you.

Cinderella99 (original genetics created by Bros. Grimm) (a cubed version of Princess) has not been available from Bros. Grimm since they dissolved the co and went their separate ways. DGS was commissioned by Gypsy to return C99 to his private line-up...and DGS obliged by selecting parent stock from original Bros. Grimm seeds...this is the closest those who wish to have C99 in their garden can get, sans the very few people who might have stashed a pack or two from the original Bros Grimm release from over 7 years ago. So if what I did with C99 is considered watering it down by you....then you need to study up on marijuana botany.

I've had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Soul...and he's had the pleasure of toking on some C99 grown by me, with him giving his approval to the C99 genetics I originally started in 2003 as being representative of his and Sly's original creation....iow...proper selections were made that originated from their seeds.

DGS is soon to release DTC99 f2 for the same reason.....it's not available and has not been available from Bros. Grimm for about the same length of time as C99. DTC99 f2 is the first step being taken in a DTC99 preservation project by DGS.

Merlin's Magic I created from an unworked Acapulco Gold line from seeds obtained in Mexico....and I've made some interesting F1 hybrids along the way too...so if you think your opinion here literally taking a shite on me actually bothers me...it doesn't....but your lack of botanical knowledge is rather amusing.

When you have 4 yrs of college botany and horticultural science behind you, and have bothered to read Marijuana Botany a few times, I'll be happy to debate how utterly silly your first post is...until then, it's just an opinion from someone with less than a full understanding of the intricacies of genetics. Maybe you think Punnet Square is a place in Idaho? :biglaugh:

In all seriousness, what I...or any breeder...does will never please everyone all of the time. Perhaps that's one reason why there are so many interesting flavors and improved combinations available today.

Great rant DG. I wholeheartedly agree, and am CERTAINLY glad that you have taken time to resurrect DTC99 for one, and was very pleased to see c99 make its comeback. I didn't know that you were the person responsible for Gypsy's C99 release. That is good info.

On the other hand, I believe that we are losing heirloom genetics in their pure form daily and in a way, that could be interpreted as a "watering down" of the gene pool.

I believe that chefboy has simply intermingled the two UNRELATED phenomena of cannabis breeding. On the one hand, you have people like ACE et al preserving landrace strains in their true form, on the other you have REZ and Dutchgrown reworking, preserving, and reintroducing modern hybrids in seed form.

BOTH ARE NECESSARY for the evolution and preservation of the species.

BOTH processes are not watering down, but are in fact REFINING the plant that we call cannabis.

Oh yeah, then you have clowns like Arjan and Greenhouse Seeds, who ARE watering down the strains with poor breeding practices and hermaphroditic seed production. Direct your angst there...it will be well deserved.

Rant over.

chefboy6969

OverGrow Refugee
Veteran
metameric..thank you...that's exactly what i meant..

Sorry DG if i upset you with my OPINION...but it is an opinion..nothing else..

I don't really see the point in berating me over my opinion..but if it makes you feel better go for it,

peace
Chefboy

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is just stupid you have no clue what your talking about

EDIT:I had a long reply here but decided that this was better and to the point.

Last edited:

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran
chefboy....How can you say to metameric 'thank you that is exactly what I meant to say'...when you called out three specific breeders in an inflammatory sense within your first post. When your opinion is not based on facts, and done in a manner to belittle, or to paint a less than favorable picture of what I do, then you had to expect you'd get a reply from me. I didn't post to make myself feel better, I posted to correct the misinformation you are attempting to spread. Your entire post comes off more as a stab at three particular breeders you named, and with no basis of fact. :dunno:

Horses for courses! ;)

Peace!
DG

Forest20

ICmag's Official Black Guy
Veteran
Cause all of the available seeds or most not all are watered down genetics...Chem this and OG that...I am just as quilty, I just did a pollen chuck if those 2 exact strains lol

BUT I think this community needs more breeders like ACE,TOM HILL and Cannabiogenn and MR.NICE not more guys like Rez and DG and Connoisseur Genetics...thay are just watering down things..I LOVE the time and effort they put in I just wish it was towards the good of the plant not the deterioration of the genetics...

Seriously when is the last time you grew a plant out that wasn't hybridized a million times over..I know I haven;t...We are all guilty..
.....Chefboy

:joint:.... To me I can see where DG is coming from...:joint:

Rainman

The revolution will not be televised.....
Veteran
this sums it up.

That is fuckin hilarious!!! Why arent there more GetMo's in the world?

As for watered down genes.....I say get in where you fit in. I will grow old or new. Hybrid or landrace. Tall or short. Indica or Sativa. I really dont care and I do it for the same reason the first motherfucker in a cave did that shit on the wild frontier of where ever.........to get the dankest shit I possibly can. Period.

Last edited:
G

Guest 150314

Next Gen's Romulan is watered down..

Have you grown it? Federation was two guys .. when they split jay who now owns next generation took his parents with him. Next gen's romulan is bx'ed to the original clone numerous times .. like always hater's gonna hate... I think next gen lost the clone and fed is out of business so grab what you can, very few people still have the original and it's not getting passed around anytime soon.