What's new

Strains High in Terpenes

G

The collective name given to the terpenes found in Cannabis is cannabinoids. Most of the naturally occurring cannabinoids have now been identified, and three are the most abundant—cannabidiol (CBD), tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), and cannabinol (CBN). The steps from CBD to THC to CBN represent the biosynthetic pathway in the plant. THC is an optically active resinous material that is very lipid-soluble but water-insoluble; these physical properties make pharmacological investigations difficult, since various nonpolar solvents must be used. Although many other materials have been found in this plant, the cannabinoids are unique to it and THC is the only one with appreciable mental affects. THC is believed to be largely, if not solely, responsible for the effects desired by those who use Cannabis socially. Virtually all the effects pro-Biosynthetic Pathway of Cannabinoids duced by smoking or eating some of the whole plant can be attained by using THC alone.

G

One of the things people are talking about here are the essential oils. Not too many people I'm aware of have done HPLC or GC Mass Spectrometry to determine actual terpene levels otherwise it's guess work based on misinformation, myths and legends. You gotta have science. Some people up at the VICS in Canada have done a little testing like this.

Doing a little research into terpenes and essentail oils may help.

Last edited:
B

bagseed77

mexican bagseed, huge plants, big christmas tree buds
i had 6 plants last year and two smelled just like cedar trees
2 just like pine trees(mucho terps),one like the Zebra looking(old school)
chewing gum, and one like gasoline, all gr8 and grown outdoors

i think outdoors in the ground has a lot to do with it,NATURAL,more terps

G

There are 103 aromatic terpenes known to occur in cannabis, and these can join (polymerisation) during curing to form new polyterpenes, with different aromas.
Taste and Aroma - Taste and aroma are closely linked. As our senses for differentiating taste and aroma are connected, so are the sources of taste and aroma in Cannabis. Aroma is produced primarily by aromatic terpenes produced as components of the resin secreted by glandular trichomes on the surface of the calyxes and subtending leaflets. When a floral cluster is squeezed, the resinous heads of glandular trichomes rupture and the aromatic terpenes are exposed to the air. There is often a large difference between the aroma of fresh and dry floral clusters. This is explained by the polymerization (joining together in a chain) of many of the smaller molecules of aromatic terpenes to form different aromatic and nonaromatic terpene polymers. This happens as Cannabis resins age and mature, both while the plant is growing and while curing after harvest. Additional aromas may interfere with the primary terpenoid components, such as ammonia gas and other gaseous products given off by the curing, fermentation or spoilage of the tissue (non-resin) portion of the floral clusters.

A combination of at least twenty aromatic terpenes (103 are known to occur in Cannabis) and other aromatic compounds control the aroma of each plant. The production of each aromatic compound may be influenced by many genes; therefore, it is a complex matter to breed Cannabis for aroma

elRoachoGrande said:
there are non-cannabinoid terpenoids in cannabis brainthor. we are primarily talking about the aromatic compounds right now.
is this post alright with you?

That totally explains a plant I grew. I have no idea what it was called so am not of any help here, but you've helped me by identifying what bothered me about the bud. I had to give it all away because it left my mouth feeling ragged after smoking.

G

Biosynthetic relationships between terpenes and cannabinoids have been firmly established. Indeed, cannabinoids are synthesized within the plant from terpene precursors. It is suspected that changes in aromatic terpene levels parallel changes in cannabinoid levels during maturation. As connections between aroma and psychoactivity are uncovered, the breeder will be better able to make field selections of prospective high-THC parents without complicated analysis.

G

I have some thick skin that doesn't get irritated even by poison ivy. But I have a master kush variety (the one that goes more pink then purple). Whenever I am doing some cleaning of the bushes like removing dead leaves and such. If I brush against them too much especially my face I will break out in red spots and if I was sweating before hand it burns. Once the bud is dried and cured I don't have the problem anymore.

G

It is suspected that changes in aromatic terpene levels parallel changes in cannabinoid levels during maturation.
Interesting. My experience with terpenes is with many non-cannabis related plants and is directly related to aroma even though these compounds have numerous 'medicinal' benefits. From what I understand, and if I'm remembering right the Egyptians knew this, is that aromatic essential oils, can stimulate and affect the brain/nervous system and believe this has been proven to be true. I know the French have done extensive research on essential oils. It seems essential oils can affect parts of the brain associated with stored memories and emotions or experiences. I wanna say hypothalmus type stuff or maybe its the hippocampus??? It's been quite a few years since dealing with this stuff so super duper rusty. I think terpenes are within a class of alcohols??? There are MANY plants that can yield high terpene essential oils that are completely and totally unrelated to cannabis.

I've had some samples of hemp essential oils out of Canada and they pretty much sucked...smelled kind of nasty. I'd love to take some sinse and distill some essential oils but that would trash the smoke value of the plant material. For me the fragrance of growing bud is one of the things I love the most about cannabis.

Anyway...awesome input Brainthor... :yes:.

Latest posts

Latest posts