What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

strain hunters afgooey grow

bigpeter

Took off about half of the foliage. Big improvement on light penetration.

picture.php

While I was at it I gave the smaller plant a good trim. I put it on 12/12 yesterday under a Mars ts1000 as I figure it can be put under the spider farmer when the other one has finished in 2-4 weeks.

picture.php

picture.php

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
I do prepare my own coco from compressed blocks, Its not to much of a hassle as I do reuse my coco too. I just prepare a small amount to replace whats lost with the old roots

Bummer you threw your afgooey out, I'll hopefully do a good grow here and be able to show you what she can do.

The plant pictured in above post with its roots on show has now been potted up into an air pot. This is the one that'll be flowered first. Its had its growing tip cut off and as soon as its started putting out decent side branches it'll be going under the screen

I prepare my coir too, but a long time ago used to use the same stuff as everyone else, costing me $2 a 10lb block which would make 60-70L of uncompressed coir, but then found the importer of the certified rinsed and buffered stuff that has been reblocked into 10lb blocks, certified as ready for use for the EU agri market, and those would cost me $4 a block..I'd much rather pay the extra $2 and not have to rinse and drain and and and 5 times over and buffer myself etc..anyway the first bud of lower quality because of residual sodium negates the cost difference.

We found a cut of each afgooey mom we had before I got to this site, so cuts of them both just over halfway in flower..not figured out getting pics from phone to here, no time actually so nothing yet...One looks decent, other looks like indica buds of hay..LOL but not sure if a cut was mislabelled or, will see as they develop more..

bigpeter

I today cut down the plant. It had pitifully small buds and it didn't look like they were going to get any bigger. I've been trying to figure out where I went wrong, and then I read this...Transplant shock can cripple early flower development of a plant. Give the plant at least 1-2 weeks after a transplant before initiating flowering. This would sure explain why I got such small buds. The plant is now hanging in the growing closet drying with the carbon filter on as it stinks. As soon as the plant has dried enough I will put the second plant in to flower without potting it up.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Afgooey..

Week 6 1/2 in flower, the other pheno that looked like indica buds of hay I am sure is a mislabeled strawberry cough, with a bunch of the originals from KK also went in for testing and I am pretty sure the second 'afgooey" is the more indi pheno of those rather that was mixed up as she is identical to those in test in same room, the SC from KK by the way was a complete write off, half the plants hermed, badly, one decent looking plant in terms of structure but no substance, smell, resin or density, rest of SC's were stretchy sativas with minimal resin, one maybe smells a bit strawberry LOL...but yeah back to the topic, the afgooey that is 100% an afgooey..

Interesting form, resin production is so so, calyx to leaf ratio is decent but it is still a bit of a wild "Cousin It" like the Addams Family, flowering time is looking like 9 week at least..I'll post a picture of another plant or three in the room for comparison..

attachment.php

Afgooey. Above..

attachment.php

Kushmans' Cough (More than half were herm) Above..

attachment.php

Seed Junky's Wedding Cake X Sherbert.

attachment.php

Ethos' Zweet Insanity..Last two the pictures don't show the scale of how fat the buds are, grenades!

Attachments

• Afgooey.jpg
    Afgooey.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 35
  • KK SCough.jpg
    KK SCough.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 46
  • Wedding Cake x Sherbert.jpg
    Wedding Cake x Sherbert.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Zweet Insanity.jpg
    Zweet Insanity.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Wolverine97

Veteran
I'm sure the transplant timing had an effect, but look at that pile of foliage you removed. That was more than half of the bio-mass of the whole plant. Of course it got stunted. Leave your leaves alone, man, only remove if a leaf is blocking multiple bud sites, and can't just be tucked. Those are both your "solar panels", and "battery storage" for the plant.

romanoweed

can i ask for some photos in white Light? You have very yellow Light. When you chopped the Gooey. im interested

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Found the other pheno tucked behind some other gals that is not a mislabeled SC, will take a picture of her when i can, much more indica, fat calyxes but not big buds..

bigpeter

I'm sure the transplant timing had an effect, but look at that pile of foliage you removed. That was more than half of the bio-mass of the whole plant. Of course it got stunted. Leave your leaves alone, man, only remove if a leaf is blocking multiple bud sites, and can't just be tucked. Those are both your "solar panels", and "battery storage" for the plant.

I had 2 afgooey plants, both germinated at the same time. One was kept in veg under low light in a small pot, that is the one I heavily defoliated. Its now recovered and is now 11 days into flowering see below.
picture.php

The other plant was repotted and flowered. That is the one that was chopped down. This is what the flowers looked like after seven and a half weeks, that is why I chopped it. It was obvious that it wasn't going to get much better. Lots of buds all the size of a thumbnail

picture.php

picture.php

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Yeah my second pheno looks exactly like that pheno of yours, I'll get a pic tonight..

attachment.php
attachment.php

There we go, not the best pictures but those two plants look very much like your pheno.

Attachments

• Afgooey1.jpg
    Afgooey1.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Afgooey2.jpg
    Afgooey2.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

DankGrazzy

The first time i tried the Greenhouse Seed's Afgoey strain, nothing about it struck me as being a special plant, no stand out aroma, a mediocre taste and the nugs weren't appealing. I'm fortunate to say i know a great grower and might be able to truly get that baby to show me her true nature! I'll be back with updates

bigpeter

Afgooey..

Week 6 1/2 in flower, the other pheno that looked like indica buds of hay I am sure is a mislabeled strawberry cough, with a bunch of the originals from KK also went in for testing and I am pretty sure the second 'afgooey" is the more indi pheno of those rather that was mixed up as she is identical to those in test in same room, the SC from KK by the way was a complete write off, half the plants hermed, badly, one decent looking plant in terms of structure but no substance, smell, resin or density, rest of SC's were stretchy sativas with minimal resin, one maybe smells a bit strawberry LOL...but yeah back to the topic, the afgooey that is 100% an afgooey..

Interesting form, resin production is so so, calyx to leaf ratio is decent but it is still a bit of a wild "Cousin It" like the Addams Family, flowering time is looking like 9 week at least..I'll post a picture of another plant or three in the room for comparison..

Thanks for posting the afgooey pic. I'll be happy if my second afgooey turns out like that. I've just spent around 5 hours trimming off the tiny buds, the calyx to leaf ratio very poor, worst plant I've ever grown and I've been growing 27 years. I'm flowering the second plant hoping that its a better pheno. I thought about ditching it but after all the effort I've put into growing it, and I've got no other plant to flower, so I'm chancing it.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Yeah im running a table of blunicorn by inhouse and one of talisman by gage green and a mixed table of testers, the strawberry cough and afgooey are the worst performers of the random test plants..there are some AMAZING plants on the test table so the afgooey unless a spectacular smoke will get the cull unfortunately..I have too much genetics to search through..The coughs been a disappointment, the beans were given to the guys that gave them to me by Kyle Kushman himself, some smell strongly of strawberries in veg on a stemrub, but they have almost no scent in flower..the haze dominates the cross, not the strawberry fields, and half the girls full on hermed..with 30 varieties next to it that didnt so no grower error there..damn had some high hopes for some crosses..back to the search LOL..

I wonder what the real afgooey cut smokes like? I wonder if GH's S1 or whatever the release is, is a decent representation..some cuts pop out like clones from s1 and other clones s1's dont reflect the mom just the ancestors of..curious?

Last edited:

bigpeter

28 days into flowering, plant is super healthy but not showing much in the way of flowers. I'd expect more development than this after 4 weeks. Showing virtually no signs of stretch, maybe because of the small 1 gallon airpot. I'm feeding 4-5 times daily 1500 ppm

Edited to add that I've had the buds of the first plant in jars for a couple of weeks and the smoke is nothing special, typical indica body buzz.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

bigpeter

Firstly I made a mistake in my last post, those pictures were at 3 weeks not 4. So today is week 5 (35 days) and looking a whole lot better than the last afgooey plant. I had to give it another defoliation as there were so many leaves the buds were hidden from the light. I'm having to water multiple times daily but thats not a problem as I'm stuck indoors during this lockdown. I've changed the feed to a low nitrogen fertiliser to try to slow down leaf growth as there are so many leaves, they were all very dark green and there are a few leaves that are clawing.

A couple of pics

before defoliation

picture.php

After

picture.php

bigpeter

dam that is a wicked looking plant
i'm amazed the way you've trained the plant

Thanks man :tiphat: That plant was germinated in October last year and has been in that same air pot for 14 weeks! I took this picture earlier today, It sure is a beautiful looking plant.

picture.php

bigdrip84

Fuck ur ya afgooey

Fuck ur ya afgooey

Stoked to see this finish! Might grow an afgooey cross next myself as it's the closest I'm getting to legit afgooey.....9lb hammer

bigpeter

Lil update, firstly I have to say that earlier on in this thread I stated that this cannabis was nothing special, well its done some curing since then and it's now an excellent smoke. Its been a long time since I've felt this effect from good weed, relaxing and stimulating all at the same time. After smoking it there is a dank heavy aroma in the air that I've not smelt for a long time.
Second plant was chopped on day 58. Very dank smells whilst handling the buds I had to resort to using ozone generator to deal with the smell. It is now in jars with humidity at 58%. Weighed in at 160 grams, not bad for a plant in a 1 gallon airpot.

Latest posts

Latest posts