What's new

Storing dried flowers. Questions.

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
How long do you cure your canna flowers in Jars? And what about vacuum sealing canna flowers. Would doing this keep them fresher for longer? And what about the vacuum sealing jars. Do they work well and are they worth the money?

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Get the flowers to the right stage and then vac seal them for long term storage.

I prefer storing in clean or new Mason jars.

Drewsif

Cure in bags. Store in jars.
The absolute best way to store herb long term is vacc bagged inside a glasslock vessel.

Good herb will last 5 years this way. Hydro won't, not enough sugars and fats. First time I ever saw weed go stale: growstore gimmick bud on the west coast, meant to be smoked the day of harvest i guess

armedoldhippy

Veteran
if you don't have access to vacuum gear, BUT...a buddy has welding gear- you can fill your jars with inert gas like argon, which will completely displace oxygen & protect your buds from oxidation.

THC123

Veteran
Best way to keep them fresh for years is freezing them in mylar bags. You can cut them to weekly portion sizes and your herb will stay loud and dank and potent for years.

My herb never gets humid in the freezer after thawing it is just as sticky as it went in. Many people read that you cannot freeze cannabis as you woould lose trichs and potetncy and blablabla.

But when done right this is the best method. I tried all methods, hars, vacuum etc side by side and freezing them is my preferred method.

Sometimes I take a pack out of the freezer and let it rest one month closed before opening it. So you can also cure after it comes out of the freezer.

To everyone saying this isnt possible, maybe just try it first before criticizing

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
THC stops degrading at -5 degrees Fahrenheit. So the best long term storage solution imo is vacuum sealed and placed in a real deep freezer. Bonus points for it being the non frost free variety.

Theoretically it should never degrade. But it's been my experience that terpenes, cannabanoids and esters do dry out and "disappear" when stored long term no matter the method used.

There's about a 6-8 month window after drying and cure where the flower is the best it will ever be. Maybe 18-24 months if stored as above.

One method I've wanted to try was storing a vacuum sealed container in liquid nitrogen long term. That might be cold enough to keep everything from evaporating or changing chemically.

THC123

Veteran
I tried both but nowadays I just use store them without vacuum sealing. The mylar bags are so full there is not much room left for air and I wasn't able to tell any difference between with or without vacuum sealing as far as freezing is concerned.

For storing out of the freezer I do recommend vac seal (but never in plastic, only in mylar for the taste).

BuzzBob56

I tried both but nowadays I just use store them without vacuum sealing. The mylar bags are so full there is not much room left for air and I wasn't able to tell any difference between with or without vacuum sealing as far as freezing is concerned.

For storing out of the freezer I do recommend vac seal (but never in plastic, only in mylar for the taste).

Thanx! I'll certainly consider this if/when I want to save some long-term. :joint:

mowood3479

Veteran
Thc degarades in contact with air.
The less contact with air, the less it degrades.
People use nitrogen filled foil bags for best long term storage (imo). But just a jar or vac bag is fine for personal stash imo.
Oh also, I don’t think how it was grown (I.e) hydro, coco, no till organic has any bearing on degradation rates. (Or at least I don’t see the correlation)

mowood3479

Veteran
Cure in bags. Store in jars.
The absolute best way to store herb long term is vacc bagged inside a glasslock vessel.

Good herb will last 5 years this way. Hydro won't, not enough sugars and fats. First time I ever saw weed go stale: growstore gimmick bud on the west coast, meant to be smoked the day of harvest i guess

Can you point me to the studies /info showing Hydroponically grown cannabis has less sugars and fats than other growing methods..
Also, why would one want more of those things in their cannabis?

Last edited:

BuzzBob56

Thc degarades in contact with air.
The less contact with air, the less it degrades.
People use nitrogen filled foil bags for best long term storage (imo). But just a jar or vac bag is fine for personal stash imo.
Oh also, I don’t think how it was grown (I.e) hydro, coco, no till organic has any bearing on degradation rates. (Or at least I don’t see the correlation)

Cool! :smoker:

Yeah, what I imagine is getting down to the last few jars of some Primo Bud, and thinking, "I'd like to save these last couple ounces for New Years, or Super Bowl, or whatever. And baggie that, label it, and put it with other's in that special area of the freezer.

:smoweed:

Riyad Brown

Yeah, good for long term. Thanks

wutwut

Veteran
winner@420giveaway
now i try many different methods and found that worst is to keep them in jar without perfect moisture. the buds will dry and lose everything faster than expected. not good.

one great way is just jarring them with boveda packs and after 3-6 months of curing next vac seal them. wait another 3-6 months and put those bags in to freezer or hole in ground. someone said it's good to take that bag out of freezer 1 month before using so it can live. when you open vac sealed bag then jar those buds again like you are doing everything backwards.

it takes time but i think this is best method. depends how you like your medicine.

dddaver

Veteran

Which size zip-lock Mylar bags do you use? 1 quart big enough? eBay has 100 thin weight (like chip bags) for $9, or 20 of the 5ml weight for $12. Are the thin ones good enough or should I go 5ml for freezing?

dddaver

Veteran
I think I found the answer to my question: " The thicker the mylar bag is, the lower the chances that oxygen will make it into the bag." So thicker is better I assume.

I imagine a q quart bag should hold enough. I think those are bigger than than an oz usually comes in bought off the street anyway. Although I haven't bought a black market oz in a LONG time.