What's new

Stopping the Rubbermaid Glow

Even with 3 layers of White paint on the inside, the rubbermaid box still glows

What else can I do to completely stop the glow?

Thanks

jdog12

overmind1632 said:
Even with 3 layers of White paint on the inside, the rubbermaid box still glows

What else can I do to completely stop the glow?

Thanks

Paint the outside black? Some people have wrapped the inside of their rubbermaids in emergency blankets or Mylar. You could also try lining the insides with something like white posterboard and seal up around the edges or anything else white and lightproof, don't know how humidity would affect that over time though.

H

Hal

You can just paint the first coat inside black, then cover that with 3 or 4 coats of bright white. Probably should do 2 coats of black to make sure it is light impermeable. I'm PRETTY sure that would work.

Last edited:

jdog12

I helped build one of these and we did two coats black on the inside followed by 2 coats white on the inside with Krylon Fusion spray paint for plastic and it was still glowing.. He ended up doing another coat or two of white on the inside and some black on the outside and he said after that it stopped glowing. The paint chipped off pretty easy when drilling(not so much) and exacto knifing(chipped a lot, dremel worked better) through the plastic..

I'm thinking sanding the plastic down a bit to make it a bit dull, some kind of plastic primer and then normal latex paint might be the way to go, but I've never tried it... all I know is that spray painting was kind of a pain in the ass. Any one else tried with normal paint? I think it was Lifeless who said he would have to do an extra coat of normal paint after every grow in his rubbermaid because the paint would chip... then someone recommended the plastic primer... don't know what happened after that.

Any one got any tips on painting these?

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
The cleanest way to do it is to use aluminum tape. It will take an hour or two and take probably 2-3 rolls at $7-8 a piece, but imho, its worth it. THis is an especially good way to go if you live in an apartment and can't have that paint/spraypaint smell all over. Also won't risk getting paint on floors/carpets.

Another way is to use undercoat for cars. Its black and sprays on thick, but is kind of expensive.

Otherwise, use several coats of black followed by 3 coats of white. I'd recommend 4-6 coats of black if you have the time and money. Be aware with painting, the thicker you paint, the easier it will chip when drilled through or flexed too much. (thats another reason why I like the aluminum tape-no chipping)

shiggs

I sprayed the inside black and then lined inside with aluminum foil while it was still wet. That pretty much stopped all the light from getting out. I used foil sheets that I found at Sam's.

thekingofNY

Cannasseur
shiggs said:
I sprayed the inside black and then lined inside with aluminum foil while it was still wet. That pretty much stopped all the light from getting out. I used foil sheets that I found at Sam's.

You realize that aluminum foil is a bad idea for the inside of your box right? Its going to cause uneven light distribution and hot spots, its not the same as white pain or mylar...

just an FYI

jdog12

thekingofNY said:
You realize that aluminum foil is a bad idea for the inside of your box right? Its going to cause uneven light distribution and hot spots, its not the same as white pain or mylar...

just an FYI
I think the hotspots are reduced when using the dull side of the foil. Keeping the crinkles to a minimum would be good too. Also, wouldnt the aluminum tape/"real" duct tape cause the same effect(hot spots) Also, I think hotspots won't be that big of a concern if he is using CFLs in his cab, since he will most likely have multiple bulbs if this is the case and the light will be more spread out.

jdog12

overmind1632 said:
Nice tips

I was thinking about just duck tapping the outside lol

That would work too, but I think if it's still glowing, then it's not reflecting properly and if it's not reflecting properly, you may be losing out on some light. I've heard the inside of potato chip and pretzel bags are made of mylar, don't know if it's true though. Either way, you would have to glue a lot of potato chip bags to use those for reflection.

EDIT: I guess it won't work (2 posts down)

Last edited:
J

Jebus11

I've been wondering the same thing since ive been thinknig of rubbermaid growin. and to stop the paint from chippin while drilling, just do the cuts then paint afterwards

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
overmind1632 said:
Nice tips

I was thinking about just duck tapping the outside lol

normal duct tape won't do anything

you need about 4 layers of that to even begin stopping the light from getting through.

I tried that one back when i was starting a few years ago... :bashhead:

threeeleven

one word: REFLECTIX! Available, easy and works awesome! I got a small roll at Lowes and never turned back! Screw messing with spray paint and waiting for it to dry

C

Cozy Amnesia

Sexologist420 said:
just get black rubbermaid tubs

Even if you could find the right rubbermaids in a black color, I bet light would still shine through. It gets through that plastic pretty easily.

Overmind, I too have three coats of white paint that have a hard time blocking all the light in my rubbermaids. Instead of painting on more coats of paint or wrapping the inside with somthing, I took an easier approach. When I need to be extra stealthy, I throw a couple of taped-together layers of black trash bags over the rubbermaids.

This will eliminate all glow from the tubs, but if you have light leaks from ventillation or something then you still won't be totally light proof.

Last edited: