What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stopping Seedling Stretch - germinating in rockwool cubes?

catalyte

Veteran
Anyone got any techniques or ideas to share to reduce seedlings from stretching when using Rockwool cubes?

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Whenever my seedlings would stretch, it was because the light was too far away...

What he said......put the light right on top of them(not literally, lol) . But get your light source as close as you can without burning them. T8's can be kept 1" or less away from them. Same for spiral cfl's. T5's need at least 4'-6" bewtween bulb and plant. Never started seeds with HID, so no help for ya with that, if that's what your using. But yeah, keep the light close.

Once they get established and sturdy, then you can move the light up some. Which will encourage vertical growth. With the light super close, you won't notice much vertical growth. Stems will fatten and roots will develop. Once that happens, then they will be ready for the light to be further away and will be able to support themselves.

catalyte

Veteran
^ thanks for posting.

Giving this idea some consideration about the light being too high.

The conditions where i was observing this excessive seedling stretch was with one single 2ft. T5 strip light on top of a 20"x10" Flat with a Humidity Dome that's 7" tall. The T5 right above the Humidity Dome. I'm starting to think it may be the genetics or too hot temps that contributed to the stretchy seedlings.

Latest posts

Latest posts