What's new

Still smells like hay, need advice please

I harvested some nice fat buds, about 60-70% of the pistils were orange/brown. I then wet trimmed & removed the fan leaves, hung them for about 4 days. I then put the buds into 1 qt mason jars, & burped them about twice a day, carefully watching for any signs of mold. Now since the buds were drying, they shrank as expected when they lose water. I now burp the jars once a day. They have been curing for about a week now & the odor smells like a fruity hay, not the dank turpentine-like smell characteristic of skunky shit.
My question is that should I cure longer or what? I don't want to share some hay-smelling stuff with my friends, am I jumping the gun here, or am I missing something? Any advice would help folks, please!

Thanks!:help:

opt1c

Veteran
u've grown out this strain before? some genetics are just bunk....at least you have some fruit overtones.. give em another week of cure at least before you make any final judgements

Thanks for the reply. First time growing this. The seeds were given to me by a well known & reputable member. The father was a Deep Chunk, & mother a very fine Cherry Slyder (clone only from Skitty). This may account for the sweet overtones. I mean, I grew this stuff with tender loving care. I don't have pics, but if you've seen what an MK Ultra cola shot looks like, then that was about a mirror image! Even some of the leaflets up top were covered in just as much trichs as the buds themselves. I'll give it at least another week or two. You think I should still burp the jars?

mg75

you might of harvested too early and/or dried too quickly.
also... the plant might have not been flushed all the way...
How is the smoke? Do you have white ash in the ball after hitting it? does it taste good? or like grass from your back yard?

I think I harvested it at the right time, 60-70% of the pistils were orange/brown. Also, I did flush it pretty thorough. I'm gonna cure it for at least another week. LOL, haven't smoked any yet, I'm kinda job hunting right now.

FatBlunt420

Killin' Zombies!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
whats your watering and nute schedule like? whats your medium?
ive had some shit i grew in coco come out hay smelling.
random shot in dark.... and my guess, is your over watering, and/or not letting the pots dry out enough. do your watering by checking the soil w ur finger, and pick it up, do the weight test. if its still heavy dont water!!

PS i watch DBZ too

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol must have been stoned.

I have never run into this problem. With any good quality genetics and cured properly you should not be getting that kind of smell. Half way into flower my plants reak of something this time it's pineapple.

Blueshark

Captain, You speak of the pistils, but what did the trichomes look like? Were they clear? Milky? Amber? Did you have any trichs? How long was you flower? 5 wks? 10 wks? Also, my buds hang for 4-5 days after green trim, then after final trim I place them in alternating layers of bud and newspaper in a basket to final dry. Only place in jars after they are as dry as you want them. Then you can cure and do burp the jars for the 1st couple of weeks. The reason you burp and cure is to let out the off-gassing of chlorophil as it breaks down after plant is dead. Then it should be lip-smackin' good!! Fat is right, too. After you flush, let it dry out so it weighs very little before you harvest. Cold flush brings on resin and drying in pot means less time in hanging/curing. Good luck!!

Last edited:

Warped1

I'm a victim of fast women and slow horses
Veteran
Maybe you should look at the trichomes instead of the pistils to determine when you harvest.

miaumiau

ICMag Donor
when you think your plant is ripe, give it another 2 weeks...;-)

many people harvest too early because they dont look at the trichomes or think "huum, all hairs are red, i can harvest now"...but you definitely see what i mean when you give it more time, maybe more flushing time, next attempt...

when you harvest your plant green, it will smell like hay...fan leaves should have at least turned yellow btw.....:blowbubbles:

Thanks for the input Blue. The trichs did appear clear, a very tiny percentage did appear cloudy. But the funny part was the fan leaves were yellowed, & even some of them were falling off. Oh well, I guess I should have waited another week or two like miaumiau said. BTW; even with the hay smell, this stuff really does smell like a fruit cocktail. It might actually be good after I cure for another week. I'll update with a smoke report folks!

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Yep you chopped a week or two too early if you had mostly clear trichs, I think your curing process is mostly ok but make sure you arent stuffing those jars! Just like a greenhouse, there needs to be plenty of air in them too, but some strains take 3-4 weeks to cure up properly.

THC123

Veteran
probably something wrong with the curing , i get that dreaded hay smell when i put em in the jar when they are too dry

they smell fantastic but are dry , then they go into the jar and then it becomes like hay

since i use simon's method , i dont have this hay smll anymore with curing , only the good smell

denvermmj

i had this problem when i first started out. i was jarring them up to soon. dry the buds at least 7 days and then throw into jars and you should be good!

weedobix

ICMag Donor
Veteran
4 days is crazy quick. Should be taking at least 1 week, preferably 2 to dry. Quick drying will ruin the buds. Also jarring to early whilst their wet inside isn't a good idea either.

mafia

Its kind of hard to tell him how long is too long or too short to be drying for when we dont really know the density of the nugs or his temp and humidity.