What's new

Steve Daniel interview ("the first person to grow indica in Jamaica")

goingrey

Cool video. Thanks, friend.
Yeah I found it pretty interesting how he did the Affy acclimatization in Georgia first, same latitude and all, then Jamaica, 4 years..

And funny how a two day crack binge made him come to his senses and get back to the weed from the llello. :D

CharlesU Farley

Had this bookmarked, came back to watch it but it's just too long and I got too much stuff to do. This guy talks too slow for me, even sped it up 2x, or converted to text. I'm always hesitant when somebody says they were the first to do anything, but I'll take this guy's word for it.

But I do know for an absolute fact that Type II/Indica was definitely used with Type I/Sativa in the late '60s and '70s, in Jamaica, and the people I knew were dealing directly with the Ethiopian Zion Coptic Church. Here's pictures to prove it, photograph taken in 1980, film developed and printed at Fotomat:

1000010991.jpg

From the website, written 6+ years ago:

Many of the Miami motels were controlled or strongly influenced by organized crime and that’s a fact. All of these motels employed bellhops, bartenders, and pool boys to keep the tourists happy. Many supplemented their income by providing tourists with a type of cannabis that was not available Up North.

It was a variety from Jamaica that smelled very different from what they were used to. It was expensive, didn't have seeds, and you didn’t get much but it was really, really good. The tourists didn’t mind paying for it, after all, they were on vacation. It came from Jamaica into Haulover Cut on small sail and power boats, passed by Beer Can Island on the way to Maule Lake Marina to be offloaded. I was a pool boy, so I knew many of those involved who were bringing it in.

Because of my association and friendship with those who did import, I had access to some of the best quality, non-compressed, rapidly transported cannabis available in Miami during the late 60’s and 70’s. I introduced a couple of Italians and a Jewish guy to some surfers, who knew the Cubans, who brought it in for the Coptics and a very friendly relationship developed. They kept Bayside and Howard Beach supplied for quite a while and appreciated the intros, so anytime I needed to score, it was quite easy.

Visited Sebastian Inlet with them one time when they were just surfing and met some very interesting people. One guy said he moved a lot of the Coptic’s stuff up in Gainesville, called it Gainesville Green. Said he used to run PBR's in The Delta, I thought he was talking about Pabst Blue Ribbon beer. I had no idea what that meant until I saw Apocalypse Now many years later. I remember him taking a big hit, exhaling, and saying, “Thai sticks ain’t got shit on this”.

I believed him.

Last edited:

goingrey

I'm always hesitant when somebody says they were the first to do anything, but I'll take this guy's word for it.
Yeah I mean how could he know who had grown what there before him, not possible. I suppose the claim is mainly based on how the random dreads he was working with hadn't seen plants like that before, or seeds that big.