What's new

sterile hydroponics thread

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
and then in another set up I'm going to try some ...Colloidal shield....it's a Colloidal silver that is supposed to smother all pathogens in the water along with another systemic fungicide technically that seems like it should fix everything always have to remember to kill it systemically or else the contaminated plants will just put it back into water ...I'm also going to try and start with new plants that should not be infected
i been curious about colloidal silver myself. not much out there as far as ppm for hydro applications.

relic1981

Veteran
My question is why sterile? Is this something that you would recommend for anyone using hydro or just those with root problems like pythium?

Why are you using H202 and UV to sterilise the water, shouldn't either one of those on their own be good enough?

I've actually got a UV steriliser that I used to use with my pond so trying it out would be no problem for me if I thought there was an advantage to it.

why sterile? because micro life both good and bad can get out of balance. when the good are more populated than bad micros than you should be ok but with murphy's law in effect bad micros do out number the good some times and its just nice to be able to take micro life out of the equation, keep a sterile system to pervent micro life from getting to be an issue. ive done organic hydro and let me say, its a bitch. constant ph fluctuations and i was always having to empty, clean and refill my res. not to mention when i bubble beneficial bacteria and fungi and add molasses or another sugar plus kelp and guano it creates a foam layer about 6inches deep. this foam is filled with air bubbles and creates the perfect environment for bad bacteria. (if i were to close the res, also sometimes the foam would overflow creating a mess.) i loved the results i got but man it was some work. now when i run hydro, and im getting ready for a hydro run now, clones are rooting as we speak. after years of trying different brands, everything from dutch master line, gh flora series, botanicare pure blend pro, botanicare tiflex, advanced nutes line and cutting edge nutrients and about 7 years ago i was given a sample liter Hand G 2 part aqua flakes and after i ran it ,i never needed to try another nutrient line for hydro ever again. they claim to be partially organic but have salts in there too. best of both worlds? regardless its a clean forumla with buffered ph. no sludge in it like some part organic nutes, just a solution that is ready to rock. whatever they put in it it works super well, if you have even the slightest green thumb. they just came out with a one part partially organic formula that works in all media and is designed to be used on your mother plants. i got a free sample and so far i like it. very potent..(i find with this line that even though the numbers are low they are super available, chelated nutrients, and all you need is about 10 ml a gallon during the height of flowering and 5ml a gal for veg and 7-8ml for preflower/transition. which makes it economical) its about the same price as any other nute line and seems to last longer.

i like that the numbers are super low, .4.- .3 -.9 plus micro nutes, no worrying about burning the plants or not feeding them properly.. i also use a few of the additives like multi zen, bud xl, top booster, drip clean and magic green as a foliar spray as well as super thrive for b vitamins and the plants love it and i can go two three weeks (probably a lot longer with just topping off the res with a nute solution) without needing to clean my res and even then its way cleaner than organic hydro or adding stuff like fish emulsion and guano teas to your res. i tend to stay away of H and G's super high k additive, shooting powder/top shooter, something like 0-0-52.

bottom line, sterile hydro is the industry standard (for cannabis and all other hydro farming) and produces the healthiest plants and one can get a better yield with less experience. that is to say, its very possible to yield just as much if not more with organic gardening but not in hydro. if you want to run organics in a soiless set up use pure coco or a mix of about 60% coco, 20, perlite and 20 %lava rocks or hydroton. i know ill get some feed back for this but organic is not always the most efficient or cleanest way to do things. its the most earth friendly option but keeping a sterile system is the best way for hydroponics it solves problems before they start. their is a lot to be said about organic gardening and i try to be as organic as possible when i can and usually grow organic in coco but for hydro its best to keep it as clean as possible to avoid unwanted issues. an oz of prevention is worth a lb of cure. (and many lbs of cured buds) :) i goota stop dabbing while posting, lol sorry for the book!

MPL

Don't use a UV sterilizer. It reacts with the chemicals in the solution somehow. I don't know this from first-hand experience, just what I've been told by folks I respect.

relic1981

Veteran
clown bow, what is the other systemic fungicide you mentioned? can it be added to your rez or do you have to dip the plants in it. i still have a bit of floramite (which is now unavailable in California because its so toxic) that i use on rare occasions to dip suspect new clones or plants coming into the garden. and always neem the hell out of them. Einstein oil. do alot of people here add h202 to their res to help keep it sterile?? im trying to find a systemic fungicide/ antibacterial (i have always used neem for this but it is not suitibale for all applications. eco neem sells neem pellets you mix into you media and it become systemic. ive used it a couple of times and it seems to work but that is for my organic projects. i would love to find something i can just add to the res, guess that why i like h202. i also bought this co2 unit for an aquarium . it pumps c02 into the water and exposes it or feeds it to the plants ... they are very happy but im not sure if the co2 is helping or not, hard to tell. i will have to do a side by side. i just figured it couldnt hurt and it was inexpensive. anyone else do this or am i wasting my time with it?

doctorman

Clear Rez , FloraShield are the 2 products my hydro shop recommended for treatment if going the clean root
after H2O2, bleech, water change, cool temp and air diffuser

doctorman

Clear rez is http://www.rollitup.org/t/make-2200-worth-of-clear-rez-for-4.423650/

That is correct. Same EXACT ingredient as EZ Clone Clear Rez that sells for $20 a QT.

Get your self a 1 lb bag of HTH Pool shock non PH buffered available online and most hardware stores (bought mine from Ace). Mix 1 GRAM (450 in the bag) per gallon of solution. Will make the SAME EXACT concentration fo the SAME EXACT product. $4 will make you 450 gallons of the stuff and will treat over 286,000 gallons of water !!:clap: Should last you a little while ... Can you say markup ?? :shock:

Been using this on all my clone machines and all my ebb and flow reservoirs now with great success. You use 1 OZ per 5 gallons. I actually make it a lot stronger at 24 grams per gallon then only have to use a teaspoon per 5 gallons. Works very well in both systems. Works better then H202. You need to reapply every 3 days to keep bacteria at bay. You can actually use much stronger doses if you like. City water is 1-5 PPM of chorine when you add this it only raises the PPM level of chlorine less then 1/2 a PPM. Very safe and very effective. Found my PH levels to be much more stable in my larger reservoirs compared to using 2 doses of 30% H202 per week. Its doing a better job of killing the nasties

read about florashield and could not find out what is in it
called the company and read the MSDS sheet it is a secret what you are paying for and they say it is preventative and not for treatment

Latest posts

Latest posts